Hey UG, I just recently started taking lessons to learn theory. I have played off and on since I was a freshman in high school. I actually found a teacher that doesn't just teach me songs at my lessons and understands that I want to learn the 'science' behind everything. I am pretty good at technique (alternate picking, can play a bunch of metal songs, and can sweep a little) the only problem is my understanding of the fundamentals behind all this is shit. I really don't understand music theory at all! In my first lesson I learned the E major and Em notes on all the strings. At my second lesson I was showed the G major and G minor scales all over the fretboard. So right now I am working on remembering all these positions/patterns and I was wondering if you guys new some songs I could just shred these two scales over. I don't care what genre the song is. Also If anyone out there recalls being in the same situation I am in and could offer some knowledge/advice, that would kick ass. I checked out that music theory lesson that girl has in her signature but it's kind of beyond me. I need a very SLOW explanation of how the hell this works. I think if I could find a song or two I could practice those two scales over it would help me astronomically. Thanks a ton in advance guys/girls!!!!
I'm just starting to get into theory too, and I got a book called "Guitar Fretboard Workbook" by Barrett Tagliarino.

It has a lot of interactive things with writing things down to help you retain it. It goes over major and minor scales, intervals, triads, etc. Just about everything you can imagine is in this book. I'd highly recommend getting it.
Cool I have Troy Stetina's Fretboard Mastery. I do a lot of exercises in it to build up my technique. I'll have to check that one out. Any advise on songs I can play those two scales over?
Quote by razorback84
I checked out that music theory lesson that girl has in her signature but it's kind of beyond me.
I can legally drink in the United States; I would hardly call me a "girl." "Lady" or "woman" would be the appropriate term. You could probably get away with "chick" as well, so long as there isn't a full moon (think about the moon phases lasting around a month and then think about what else happens about every month, and then you will get my vague little joke).

Anyway, that lesson is not beyond you; it starts with the very basics. If you skip the beginning, you will be moving into material too advanced for you, but get over the "What the fuck?" mentality and just methodically read the article. I'm happy to answer questions, but make sure you're asking a question: No "I don't get it," unless you can cite a specific phrase or paragraph.

Edit: While fretboard patterns are very helpful to know, they teach you basically nothing about music theory.
Hey Bangoodcharlote! I am not trying to be a dick, but I simply asked for a song or two I could practice the G and Gm scale over. And to assume I was talking about you kind of implies something about yourself. Interesting...

Anyway, could you name a song or two to help me out? If not, would you mind not posting your two cents in my thread. Thanks in advance.
And to assume I was talking about you kind of implies something about yourself.

What does it imply, exactly? What other women here have links to theory lessons in their signature?

If not, would you mind not posting your two cents in my thread.

Don't be an ass (you're not me). What she said was relevant to your post. If you don't want to take advice when it's freely given, find another forum.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Hey Razorback84! I am trying to be a bitch, but for G minor, try "Kickstart My Heart," and for G major try "Come on Feel the Noise."

Regarding my opinion of myself, I am, by my own admission, arrogant, but I am knowledgable as well. If I say you should read something so you can better understand a concept, I'd listen to me. I urge you to read that lesson.

You know you were talking about me originally, anyway. There isn't another female MT regular, let alone one with a theory link in her sig.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Don't be an ass (you're not me).
Room permitting, sigged.
I don't ****ing understand. This was a ****ing help request. I wasn't talking shit and all I wanted was a song I could practice my mother ****ing scales over. If I would of done this in her thread I would be banned from UG. Please get off her tits. Any constructive comments to my original post would be greatly appreciated.

Archeo Avis, assuming that only one woman, out of millions of individuals, has a link to theory in her tag IMPLIES a ****ing lot on you too highspeed. Would you mind getting the **** off my thread? Thanks champ!
Quote by razorback84
I don't ****ing understand. This was a ****ing help request. I wasn't talking shit and all I wanted was a song I could practice my mother ****ing scales over. If I would of done this in her thread I would be banned from UG. Please get off her tits. Any constructive comments to my original post would be greatly appreciated.
You asked for help and I gave you a song in G major, a song in G minor, and a music theory lesson, just as you requested. Providing helpful information such as that, whether you're a senior member of the UG or not, is not an action for which you would be banned.

Your question has been answered. I'm going to be generous and ask if you have any remaining questions or if anything was not clear.

Quote by razorback84
Thanks bangoodcharlote, and I must say, you really represent your sex well...
I go to a psuedo-Ivy University; I have a 3.8 GPA as a math and pre-medicine major; I've written a full length album with artwork and everything; I'm an internationally known and respected music theory teacher. I don't think those qualities are indicitive of the average 21 year-old woman, or man for that matter.

Edit: By the way, this thread shouldn't have even been posted: http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867263.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Oct 17, 2008,
Enough, seriously. I don't care if you're the reincarnation of christ. All I was asking for was help. Thank you for the two songs you provided. Would you mind if I send you a friend request? Oh that's right, you're so much ****ing better than everyone else that not only will you deny them, our accounts will be banned for "harassment". Yeah, you did give me helpful advise, but only after you gave your pitiful two cents on the situation. I have just one more request, please do not respond to any more of my post. There are way more knowledgeable people on these forums whether you believe it or not.
Reported.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Imagine that. Thanks champ. Although I'm pretty sure I didn't violate any TOS....