So I've had a Jackson DXMG Dinky for about four years now. It has EMG-HZ's. I've had any hum in the output up until recently. Any time I touch one of the outter metal components of the guitar, my finger seems to act as a ground for the circuit and cancels all the noise. I'm not really sure what could be wrong with the electronics. Any ideas?
sounds like the guitar isn't properly grounded
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
sounds like the guitar isn't properly grounded

Agreed.
ಠ_ಠ
I just checked the ground wire from the bridge to the pots and it seems to be very securely connected. Perhaps it could be something wrong with the overdrive channel on my amplifier.
it probably is the shielding; that can be easily fixed (shielding paint FTW).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
EMGHZ's aren't active, like regular EMG's. active pups promote sustain and string response, aka dynamics. they aren't terrible, but they're not actualy EMG's. if i explain this to people it usually saves a whole lot of confusion, which is why i said it. but they're not emg's actual active line. they're passive. so they're of about the same quality as maybe a squier humbucker. better, for sure, tone, but really, EMG knows they're for starter guitars. so they dont spend to much time making them, so things go wrong here and there.

tl;dr-EMG HZ's are a marketing scam, take it to a local shop and have the wiring fixed.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
I'm very aware that they're passive pickups. I've had them for about four years and I've never had noise. That is where my concern arises from.
Quote by tallaxegrinder
active pups promote sustain and string response, aka dynamics.
Sustain, yes. Dynamic response? Ahahaha. Good christ no.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It could also be the grounding of your house or amp. All my guitars buzz because my house is 130 years old...
do you get any hum when the guitar volume is down? my EMGs hum because i use them next to a pc screen with wires all over the place.
Quote by MrFlibble
Sustain, yes. Dynamic response? Ahahaha. Good christ no.

my mistake, must have been on something
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.