I know watt =\= Actual DB but how big a difference is it. The reason im asking is cause im buying this amp cause my band is tired of my 30 watt SS...and so am I, but id kinda like to know if i would be able to play a 120 W at low volumes as well as a 50W\100W.

The 2 amps are Peavey XXX 120W and Carvin V3

I was leaning towards the Peavey cause i hear carvin has a fizzy\grainy distorted. But if i can't play without people trowing heavy things at me...i wont get it , or try it out anyways.
Quote by Mr.Pirate
I know watt =\= Actual DB but how big a difference is it. The reason im asking is cause im buying this amp cause my band is tired of my 30 watt SS...and so am I, but id kinda like to know if i would be able to play a 120 W at low volumes as well as a 50W\100W.

I was leaning towards the Peavey cause i hear carvin has a fizzy\grainy distorted. But if i can't play without people trowing heavy things at me...i wont get it , or try it out anyways.

The XXX is all tube...and 120W all tube is going to be ****ing ear shattering
Headroom. You can play a 120w tube amp louder than a 50w tube amp. If you do want the XXX, buy a THD Hot Plate Attenuator, you can turn down the volume without losing the sound quality.
I'm gonna have to do that with my bugera soon I think =/

The hotplate just goes inbetween the amp and the speakers yes?
There's very little actual volume difference between those wattages in general. It more has to do with headroom.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Swap-Meet
The XXX is all tube...and 120W all tube is going to be ****ing ear shattering

you'll sonically rape the rest of your band
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I dunno about the difference between the amps, but I play my 100w Peavey at bedroom volumes all the time, no attenuator or anything.
Quote by Komet
I dunno about the difference between the amps, but I play my 100w Peavey at bedroom volumes all the time, no attenuator or anything.

Yep, I play my 100w B-52 in my bedroom. Of course, I keep the master volume dial at around 0.3 though

The thing is a beast when I crank it though. I'll admit I take it to 3 or 4 on occasion, but only once have I taken it past that and put it at 10. All I can say is I had to point the amp the other direction, and go to the other side of the house using my 50ft cable, and it was still ear-shattering. I could feel the sound pulsing through my chest

From what I've heard, 100w is about twice as loud as 10w (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So going from a 50w to 100w isn't going to be that much louder; they'll be both be extremely loud BUT you should be able to play them fine at bedroom levels. The 100w will simply give you more headroom to work with, which depending on what you want is good or bad.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Op3th
From what I've heard, 100w is about twice as loud as 10w (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So going from a 50w to 100w isn't going to be that much louder; they'll be both be extremely loud BUT you should be able to play them fine at bedroom levels. The 100w will simply give you more headroom to work with, which depending on what you want is good or bad.

yes. higher watt amps tend to have more balls so to speak, but in the end theyre both going to be loud as hell. just go for whichever actuallly sounds the best.
Quote by Mr.Pirate

Going from a 50w to a 100w your only gaining about 3db so I wouldnt let wattage hold you back from getting the amp you really want. Also you really need to test them out, some sound better at lower volumes then others. And if your playing metal your going to stray towards the preamp saturation side of the spectrum and stay away from the power amp saturation so higher wattage is a plus for metal. The triple is a great amp for low volume and high volume playing so you really cant go wrong with it unless your a classic rock or blues guy....