Having certain thoughs while improvisation=more meaningful/emotional riff/solos?

Ok so today I was kinda in a shit mood. Girl issues, kids making fun of me in class etc etc and I was just really upset by the afternoon. Anyway so I start playing around 8:00. I start thinking about the same girl and how pissed off she is making me. How she basically lead me on and flirted with me, but is now flirting with everyone else BUT me in class. I hate being ****ed with like that. Either you want me or you don't. So I dunno wtf her deal is now.

So I tuned my guitar down to C standard, and I began playing(IMO anyway) the best riff age in my life. It was great. I usually have a hard time coming up with riffs and shit. But when I started thinking about that and playing at the same time it just came to me. And then just now I was playing the blues scale and played a great impro solo.

Anyone else ever experience something like this before? Is this really the secret to improvisation? Just thinking of certain things that bring up certain emotions in you?
Share riff?

Riffs of gtfo!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Riffs or it didn't happen.

But seriously... To answer your question, yes.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by o_hai_dere
Lol I didn't record them, but I wish I had

I forgot most of it

That's the worst part! :grr: You're just like "I've got to play this out" and then you're done and you're like "wow... let's do that again" and you can't.

Been there many, many times.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

You didn't play guitar today. You just wanted to complain about your problems.

I see through your little guise.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Sound Mind
So you discovered that being sad helps when playing the blues with feeling?

Pretty much lol

Usually when I impro with blues scale I just think about playing the notes and stuff. I don't actually think about anything sad.

And BTW I was more so mad then actually sad
Quote by SteveHouse
That's the worst part! :grr: You're just like "I've got to play this out" and then you're done and you're like "wow... let's do that again" and you can't.

Rofl that's happened to me a bunch of times

I use to record riffs when I first started playing on this little 1GB MP3 player I had. Had a lot of riffs recorded on it. Then I broke it one day out of anger.
Quote by o_hai_dere
TS' Wall
Yeah...imo, it is. I find I can't play at all when I feel just kinda goofy and shit, bud when I feel incredibly pissed, I can play metal like I never thought I could (5 string sweeps perfectly, every note in a run hit in time and in key, etc.). When I feel sad, I often play blues, jazz, or some softer rock or metal, and when I'm happy, I play kinda classic rock and shred, similiar to Satch I guess.
Improvisation isn't just about playing notes.

1. You got to feel the music, and let those emotional impulses take over you

2. You have to hear what your going to play right before you improvise it, it's like improvise in your head, and play right away. Sometimes it's not like that, sometimes you just improvise with your fingers instead of hearing the note in your head, but MOST of the time you're supposed to hear it in your head as you play.

3. What I mentioned in number 2 is only possible (hear notes in your head), if you've practiced the scale you're going to improvise on a lot of times. By this, I meant ALOT, trying a lot of variations of melodies, rhythms etc etc. You must also know how each note in that scale sounds like, what it sounds like and be able to name it in your fret, so you can play it right away after hearing it in your head (or play the sequence of notes you hear in your head right away). To do this, try singing the notes, and practice this everyday till you've memorized them.

4. Something that helps A LOT in improvising is expanding your musical vocabulary. Your musical vocabulary is the different patterns you know, the difference sequence of rhythms and melodies you know and can play. How do you expand this? Well, the answer is simple, learn a lot of songs that you like, and a lot of songs that you don't like. By a lot I really mean a lot.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
it definitely helps...I've found that serious emotions can bring even the deepest parts of your creative mind to life.
Quote by XxLloydxX

2. You have to hear what your going to play right before you improvise it, it's like improvise in your head, and play right away. Sometimes it's not like that, sometimes you just improvise with your fingers instead of hearing the note in your head, but MOST of the time you're supposed to hear it in your head as you play.

3. What I mentioned in number 2 is only possible (hear notes in your head), if you've practiced the scale you're going to improvise on a lot of times. By this, I meant ALOT, trying a lot of variations of melodies, rhythms etc etc. You must also know how each note in that scale sounds like, what it sounds like and be able to name it in your fret, so you can play it right away after hearing it in your head (or play the sequence of notes you hear in your head right away). To do this, try singing the notes, and practice this everyday till you've memorized them.

4. Something that helps A LOT in improvising is expanding your musical vocabulary. Your musical vocabulary is the different patterns you know, the difference sequence of rhythms and melodies you know and can play. How do you expand this? Well, the answer is simple, learn a lot of songs that you like, and a lot of songs that you don't like. By a lot I really mean a lot.

If I could play what I think, I'd be god. It's not the difficulty of what I think up, but I have no clue how to make the right sounds...

I'm not trying to be an arrogant douche, but seriously! If I could play what I think up sometimes...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by SteveHouse

DAMMIT i hate that, i did that alot during my early learning stages, but now i can probably make up anything just as good or better easier and faster, But i do miss someof the old ones

To Floppy Pick: Practice ??? try and look at a guitarist who does make the sounds you think of and try and copy? i dunno i think of whole orchestras in my head sometimes and hate not being able to write it down or aything =/
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Last edited by LaGrange at Oct 17, 2008,
Quote by XxLloydxX

Great advice

I've been really trying to learn a lot of different licks. It's definitely helping me become more creative.
It's true. I was thinking about my penis while playing yesterday, and immediately I got a raging semi.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots