Hey all, I am on that never ending search for great tone which we love to call "chasing tone". Right now I am dealing with a quite muddy situation as the title suggests. Here's the rundown: I'm Playing an Ibanez 4exqm1 with a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge, an FS3 in the middle and a FRED in the neck, this is playing through a Carvin X100b head that is connected to a Marshall AVT cab. The tone I am getting is good, but it's still muddy and has way too much treble no matter what I do. I'm thinking it's the crap cabinet. Now the pickups and head I'm using were all built to combat mud. How much would getting a new cab help this muddy situation, let's say an Avatar 212 with celestion vintage 30's?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Celestion 30s should definitely help. They did for me, anyways.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by mcrfobtai
A cab should help a lot. If there is still some problems, EQ pedal. But cab first

actually Felix, the Carvinx100b has the normal 3 band pot eq and a 5 band slot eq. I have a 7 band eq pedal as well but when I put that in it's just too much eq and it's really hard to manage. I'll get the cab first and maybe monkey with that some more.
Definately a new cab. Vader is amazing, so is Mesa, hell, even a Carvin cab would be better than that AVT
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Definately a new cab. Vader is amazing, so is Mesa, hell, even a Carvin cab would be better than that AVT

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I had the full AVT 50 half stack and that was just a nightmare! I got a better head in the X100B and thought it would help. It really did, but I didn't realize how bad the cab sucked. The good news is that I put in some overtime recently so that new cab has become affordable. I'll post some updates when that paycheck comes in!