So ive been writing a lot of guitar riffs and songs solo and i normaly bring them to the drummer and we just jam them and he comes up with drum parts. But we got more people now and i want us to all start writing stuff together so im not just writing stuff and the songs will be more creative and everyone will be involved. SO how do you write songs at band practice, i know ho 2 guitar players write songs but what does the drummer and singer do while were working all the parts out ( we as in guitars and bass)

i feel bad if they just sat there wile we worked, and having the drummer ramble when trying to concentrate is very annoying lol.
Quote by Shecter78787
So ive been writing a lot of guitar riffs and songs solo and i normaly bring them to the drummer and we just jam them and he comes up with drum parts. But we got more people now and i want us to all start writing stuff together so im not just writing stuff and the songs will be more creative and everyone will be involved. SO how do you write songs at band practice, i know ho 2 guitar players write songs but what does the drummer and singer do while were working all the parts out ( we as in guitars and bass)

i feel bad if they just sat there wile we worked, and having the drummer ramble when trying to concentrate is very annoying lol.

well usually one of the main musicians (guitarists,keyboards,bass) comes up with the tunes...and the drummer gets the beat, and the rest is filled in..or the drummer fills in as the last part of the song...

guitarist gets idea (or whoever in the band)

the person who got the idea and another member that isnt drummer write some more to that idea..make it solid

add another non drumm instrument

last but not least drummer comes in to fill in

thats basically how i used to do it when i had a band..

EDIT: well the singer will try and sing in harmony with the music or humm to it so he/she can get the right pitch...then someone will write lyrics and then voila

as for writing at a practice....someone has to have an idea that is stable...besides the drummer..i found it hardest to write a guitar part with just a drum beat...
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
My band goes in this order:

A guitarest or bassist writes a riff.
He works with the other guitarests to get verses and choruses.
We get a drum line after the song is finished with guitar.
Vocals are last, when the song is completely done.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
for my band it works like this
bassits wrotes guitar and bass part, then writes drum parts, then shows the song to the band, then bassits adds more parts to the song, then shows guitar how should he play the song and tells him to add something of his own, then drumer adds awesome fills, then guitarrist and bassits work on the lyrics
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
My band always did it like this, I would write all the music for the song and teach everyone their parts. Then the singer would write lyrics and then we'd build from there.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
my band does it a variety of ways actually:
one person might write the guitar parts, lead and rhythm, and he could be any of the members (guitar, bass, drum )-we then discuss what we like an dont like and we sort it out there, then the excluded instruments (drums and bass most of the time) go and write down their parts for the song. bring it all together

or one of us will write everyones part except for solos and drumming-this is probably less effective unless u are very creative..

or the drummer will sit down with guitarists and tell us what he wants us to play, based on a riff he 'figured out' while messing about on his guitar-then the guitars try do it, make it better, make riffs and write down, and process 1 is resumed.

i dunno, just do what works beest, u dont HAVE to include everyone, especially if not everyone is very creative.
We do it this way....

Either I or our other guitarist, Ken, will come up with an idea or ideas to bring to the table. These ideas are generally vocal in nature, be a phrase or two long, and may or may not have a guitar part to go with it. We call these 'seeds.' (ideas, like seeds, germinate as they begin to grow and come to life)

If we can independently take that seed and grow it, we might bring a nearly-completed song to the table next time we get together. If not, we at least arrive with some ideas to work on.

Next, we'll get together and share our ideas. Just the two of us and our guitars. We'll try to see what we can do with those ideas. Can we make those seeds grow into something together? Maybe I can add a phrase or two to one of his ideas, or vice-versa.

Once we have either a fully grown song, or even just a fully formed part (a chorus, a verse, whatever), we'll lay down a very basic drum beat in Cubase and lay down a couple of rough guitar parts, maybe a rough bass line, and a rough vocal. If it is a verse or a chorus, we'll simply file it away for working on later. If it is a fully-developed song (well... semi-developed.... more of a 'here's three verses and a chorus....), then we'll post it to the private area of our website and the drummer and bass player will download them and do their things with it.

When we arrive at rehearsal, we start working on developing the song... arrangement, production, editing, etc. as we see fit as a band.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I like to start with a melody (vocals, guitar, bass or keyboard) and build other instruments over that. Then wash, rinse and repeat for the rest of the song, usually keeping the same key (or a similar one, like the key of the 4th or 5th of the original key) throughout.

That, or pure trial and error.
Generally, if I was bringing the initial idea, I would start with guitar and drums together while the other guitarist and bassist would listen. Usually they would come in after a bar or two. We continued to repeat the basic structure (of the section) until everyone had it pretty good. I would listen intently to what they were playing, since they usually led to even better ideas or changes. The only time I would explain what I was playing note for note, was if I was asked by another band member.

Next we would add other sections in similar fashion, chorus, bridge, etc. As we progressed with the song, I would usually ad-lib some lyrics and experiment with guitar riffs and fills. Once the rough song was down, we would begin the refining and arranging process. If another member was bringing a riff or progression, sometimes my drummer would wait until I started playing to come in with drums. For whatever reason, it roughly followed each persons seniority in the band.

There was definitely an understanding that each person was responsible for their contribution. If someone was struggling with a part, then it was their responsiblity to either practice it on their own time or come up with an alternative.

On the rare occasion, I would write and record an entire song, then email it to everyone.
In my band it's a little bit easier for us. We have a singer who plays also the guitar. A guitarist who plays also bass. Another guitarist who plays a bit of the drums and a drummer who plays also bass, guitar and can sing a little bit.
So we have dubble brains. Usually we start by making a subject. Then lines that could be in the text, a nice beat or riff. And than we start think weeks of fun stuff do put in the song.
But we make a mix of Iron Maiden and Metallica. And for that reason we want songs that are really about something and not some brainless screaming. No offence to bands that make songs on brainless screaming, if those bands make at least good guitar/bass/drum lines.
My Band has the best creative method in the world. We bust out the Bong of Destiny (The drummer is a senior in high school and has shop. So he created the Tenacious D replica. Happiest day of our lives)

We then proceed to take rips of bomb ass club. Then we turn on a recorder.

The next day we listen to it sober, pick out really cool riffs and all that. And we usually can get 3-4 songs out of those sessions.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Normally either me, the other guitarist or the bass player comes up with a riff. Then, we all start chipping in. The drummer will find a good beat to it, we each figure out our parts, start working on lyrics, and there it is...a song.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Typically I write the bulk of the main guitar rhythm as I write the lyrics. Then the lead and bass fill in the gaps, and we might change it up a bit. Then we add the drums. Works well for us at least.
Quote by Reab
In my band it's a little bit easier for us. We have a singer who plays also the guitar. A guitarist who plays also bass. Another guitarist who plays a bit of the drums and a drummer who plays also bass, guitar and can sing a little bit.
So we have dubble brains. Usually we start by making a subject. Then lines that could be in the text, a nice beat or riff. And than we start think weeks of fun stuff do put in the song.
But we make a mix of Iron Maiden and Metallica. And for that reason we want songs that are really about something and not some brainless screaming. No offence to bands that make songs on brainless screaming, if those bands make at least good guitar/bass/drum lines.

if u have double brains how come u cant spell double? lol jk just had to tho.