i have the b-52 at 112, ive had it since april. ive never gigged with it, im not in a band as a guitarist, and ive only cranked it once to see how loud it could really get. so a couple of weeks ago, i brought it to band practice for my guitarist to use, and we turned it up to 8, but it was inaudible compared to the drums and vocals. then, on the clean setting, with the volume at around 7 or 8, it sounded really muddy and gross and distorted.

can somebody possilby explain why my 60 watt tube amp has volume issues like this?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Sounds like you may have to adjust your settings on the amp. What did the guitarist set the EQ to?
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
i doubt its the tubes, its only about 6 months old and i got it new

everything was way up b/c it wasnt loud enough
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
He didn't try to scoop the mids then? Really odd. 30w of tube power can even be overkill and that stealth should have at least 50w. What kind of gear was run through it at practice?
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
he used a esp ltd viper 50. i think i had my jackson there too, idr. but either way, there were severe issues with the volume regardless to what he was playing
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by boardsofcanada
may be the output tranny, worst case

and what would it cost to have that fixed?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
and what would it cost to have that fixed?

somewhere 50-100+ dollars i think. after you find a model you can replace the stock one with.
Was the guitar volume turned all the way up???
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
Quote by boardsofcanada
somewhere 50-100+ dollars i think. after you find a model you can replace the stock one with.

what exactly is the output tranny?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
what exactly is the output tranny?

comes after the power tubes/transistors and amplifies the signal before going to the speakers.
Quote by boardsofcanada
comes after the power tubes/transistors and amplifies the signal before going to the speakers.

...**** me. how common is an issue like this? b/c when i play at like 2 or 3, its PLENTY loud, its just that when i crank it, it should be able to play over drums, am i correct?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
...**** me. how common is an issue like this? b/c when i play at like 2 or 3, its PLENTY loud, its just that when i crank it, it should be able to play over drums, am i correct?

this happened on my little valve jr. a while ago, and my dad's marshall is on its second or third OT now i think. i dont know exactly how common or easy it is to make them go out though. what happened with mine is it would sound 'normal' but really quiet, no matter the setting, like the whole thing was just much quieter. and if i upped the volume to compensate it would start to 'fart out' and have short but annoying fart sounds when i would pick hard.

bring it to a tech, this is what they are for. the tubes will be the first thing they test, and they will check the ot at some point as well. whatever is wrong, you can either have them fix it as well and pay the parts, or they can just tell you exactly what is wrong and you can replace whatever is necessary yourself. theres also several people on UG that might be able to help diagnose it, but with anything bigger than a VJ i would probably just up and take it to a tech.
well, it doesnt ever fart out or anything like that, and its not that the volume is low, i just think a 60 watt tube amp should be able to be heard over a drummer

would a cab maybe help make it better? and if so, is it safe to use a bass cab for guitar?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112