A lot of people perpetuate that speed is a byproduct of accuracy, and will come in time. So I have a question about this in general.

I usually spend most of my practice time learning new songs and running through Guitar Pro exercise tabs as well as using a metronome for building speed with the songs I'm learning. So far I think I'm on the right track, but as far as my playing, I'm trying to learn two/three songs at a time (I have a LOT of free time) as well as warming up with some exercises and stuff. With the songs that Im learning, I run through each song for about 20 minutes with a metronome, take a 5-10 min break, come back and practice the other songs.

After I do these, I tend to just remember a lot of advice given to me that speed comes with time so don't try to rush it. So with this in mind, I usually just stop there and go find something else to do. But should I keep coming back to it and trying to learn the song faster and faster, or will this just wear out my wrists, and lead to more damage as opposed to progression? I'd like to play as much as I possibly can, but I dont want to do more bad than good.
Quote by JadedWolf465
A lot of people perpetuate that speed is a byproduct of accuracy, and will come in time. So I have a question about this in general.

I usually spend most of my practice time learning new songs and running through Guitar Pro exercise tabs as well as using a metronome for building speed with the songs I'm learning. So far I think I'm on the right track, but as far as my playing, I'm trying to learn two/three songs at a time (I have a LOT of free time) as well as warming up with some exercises and stuff. With the songs that Im learning, I run through each song for about 20 minutes with a metronome, take a 5-10 min break, come back and practice the other songs.

After I do these, I tend to just remember a lot of advice given to me that speed comes with time so don't try to rush it. So with this in mind, I usually just stop there and go find something else to do. But should I keep coming back to it and trying to learn the song faster and faster, or will this just wear out my wrists, and lead to more damage as opposed to progression? I'd like to play as much as I possibly can, but I dont want to do more bad than good.

Usually when people say speed is a byproduct of accuracy and not to rush anything they mean don't try to force yourself to play faster than you actually can. So you should never sacrifice accuracy for speed but if you feel like you can push yourself faster then by all means do; as long as your technique is fine you shouldn't be doing yourself any damage.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.