Im having toruble selling my 5150 combo, so is there anything i can buy that will make up for its fizziness and extreme gain?

sure i love playing hardcore br00talz, but sometimes i want to play stuff like coldplay, etc.

so what to buy?

POD XT Live?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
so your going to buy a pedal to make your amp more versatile so you can sell it?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
^^

no, more versatile so that if I can't sell it, I can be satisfied with it because I'll be able to get the sounds i want. Im looking at an Orange AD-30 currently, but i need to sell my gear to get it

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Wait, doesn't it have a clean channel? Can't you back down the preamp volume or something?
I'm not sure whether to or
Both, perhaps.
The fizziness of the amp and the equivalent sound on the clean channel is a core part of the tone and if you didn't want that in all variations of your tone then quite frankly you should have gotten a different amp. I'm sure there are mods to adjust that, and you could always do a speaker change, but for stuff like Coldplay the only advice I can give you is an EQ pedal and good luck.
EDIT: Just noticed it's a combo. A speaker change could probably do it, but I'm surprised you're having trouble selling it. That amp gets a lot of recommendations around here. Maybe you're doing something wrong?
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 18, 2008,
What kind of settings do you use? Just wondering because I don't hear this fizziness you guys speak of with mine.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by jcp42877
Im having toruble selling my 5150 combo, so is there anything i can buy that will make up for its fizziness and extreme gain?

sure i love playing hardcore br00talz, but sometimes i want to play stuff like coldplay, etc.

so what to buy?

POD XT Live?

Hey man, I'm in the same position as you except i don't want to sell my 5150 (btw, i have the combo, same as you). I think that mine has a lot of potential and i love the thing, i just need to refine the sound and find a way to control it better.

So after saying that, i hear that buying an od (like an od808) help with smoothing out and tightening the gain and an eq for more versatility in tones.

I also hear that using a chorus pedal with the "clean" channel does wonders
If you want versatility, I wouldn't look at an Orange AD30, something that wil do Coldplay and brOOtalz would be something like an ENGL or, as a stretch, an Orange Rockerverb 50 (i get metal sounds out of mine if I need to). With the 5150, you need to EQ it very carefully, as it can be quite fizzy, but when used with the right guitar, it can really sound quite good. A band that I teched for, Karnivool, use PRS guitars with 5150 amplifiers and their toen is really fat, especially with how meticulously I EQed the amp. And additionally, don't go for a POD if you have a tube combo already, you will be drastically disappointed.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
If you want versatility, I wouldn't look at an Orange AD30, something that wil do Coldplay and brOOtalz would be something like an ENGL or, as a stretch, an Orange Rockerverb 50 (i get metal sounds out of mine if I need to). With the 5150, you need to EQ it very carefully, as it can be quite fizzy, but when used with the right guitar, it can really sound quite good. A band that I teched for, Karnivool, use PRS guitars with 5150 amplifiers and their toen is really fat, especially with how meticulously I EQed the amp. And additionally, don't go for a POD if you have a tube combo already, you will be drastically disappointed.

YOU TECHED FOR KARNIVOOL THAST FUUCKING AWESOME

i love karnivool great tone when i saw them one dude was running a 5150 the other had a XXX and what looked like a modded JCM 800 and do they use both pickups all the time
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

^
Yes, you are correct, Drew uses a 5150, Mark uses a XXX. They do have a master volume JCM 800, but I didn't have to set it up.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
oh cool is the 800 a back up is it modded so does using both pick ups cut a bit of the fizzyness yeah i saw em at metro sydney and big day out

sorry for hijacking the thread

i just really love karnivool
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Last edited by angusslashdime at Oct 18, 2008,
Eh, it's sort of relevant.

I'm not actually sure, I never had to set it up, so I'm not actually sure why they had it, but I commented to Mark about it, considering I had the same amp, and he didn't say much about it, so I'm not sure. I missed out on tickets to Metro, and I was doing something that night anyway, so I didn't go, but they are a really amazing band.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM