Hey pit help me Decide which music college im gonna go to. I'm a sophomore in highschool and I know a decent amount of music theory but which school will help me learn the most? I heard Berklee was good but then some people said it sucked.
I live in Washington so I'd love a college that was far far away from there but still in the United States any suggestions?
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Pit University.

Edit: As in UG. Not Pittsburgh...

/self fail
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
TBH, music colleges are kinda useless unless you're a prodigy. You wind up paying a lot of money and then playing in bars in Boston for the next 10 years until you get a real job. Go to a state school and major in music production or composition and sound engineering or something.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Well Im pretty good at guitar its not like I'm horrible but I'll probably major in composition.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
John Petrucci went to Berklee, so it must be pretty ownage.

That is, unless he already melted it away (he has the powers to control the sun).
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
i guess full sail
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Power Chord Academy?
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
berklee
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
It really depends on what you want to do, Indiana University has an amazing Jazz program, Juliard and Oberlin are both well regarded for classical (Oberlin also has a good computer music/music technology program). Berklee is well regarded for modern music, mostly centered around performance.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Every music college is different.
you'll have to decide what you want.
and then look for colleges that have that.
Nobody can make the choice except you.

a lot of people will tell you not to do it.
but if you really want to,
then you should.

but if you want to do anything else,
then do that,
but if its your passion, then do it.

here is a good column from UG on music colleges,
Guide to Music Colleges

best of luck,
cheers,

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Nobody who wants to go into music school says "Okay, which one of these is the best?" and then goes. It's a relative concept and it depends on what you're looking for. For a classical musically conservative musician, Berklee isn't what they're looking for. A Jazz musician probably shouldn't go with San Francisco Conservatory. A classical guitarist shouldn't go to North Texas. It dpends on what you're looking for.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It really depends on what you want to do, Indiana University has an amazing Jazz program, Juliard and Oberlin are both well regarded for classical (Oberlin also has a good computer music/music technology program). Berklee is well regarded for modern music, mostly centered around performance.

It should be noted though,
that auditions to performing arts colleges are extremely competitive,
and they have very low acceptance rates,
mostly based on an audition in front of some members of the faculty.

Juilliard and Oberlin are very, very, classically oriented,
and care more about what you play, and how you play it, as well as playing perfectly.
there is a reason that parents call Juilliard when their children are prodigies.

Performing Arts Colleges like Berklee,
tend to care more about the student's potential and character.
don't get me wrong though, you still have to meet their standards.

Berklee would take a student that was nice, and extremely passionate, but not as talented as an arrogant, unpleasant person, with more talent.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Mr. Rittard
It should be noted though,
that auditions to performing arts colleges are extremely competitive,
and they have very low acceptance rates,
mostly based on an audition in front of some members of the faculty.

Yeah, I thought that sort of went without saying.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
When it come to public Universities, University of Indiana, University of North Texas, and University of Michigan are the best in my opinion.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Yeah, I thought that sort of went without saying.

Just in case,
its nice to keep all the bases covered.

Flam·boy·ant

It depends on what you want to major in. Performance degrees are essentially useless as they won't help you get a job. Dunno what majoring in composition will get you.

IMO, you're better off majoring in something else and trying to become a session musician or something. Music degrees don't really do much unless it's audio production or music education.

If you absolutely must go to a music college, Berklee would probably be the best choice, as I've heard that the connections you can potentially make there can go a long way in the future. If you show passion, determination, and (obviously) a high degree of competence on your instrument, then the people you go to school with will likely come to you if they need a guitar player; if you meet their needs to their satisfaction, then they will pass your name on to other people in the industry. Surviving in the music industry is all about making connections and getting your name out in the open; going to Berklee or another music school certainly isn't necessary for that, but if you make friends there it will help you.
The best one around me is West Chester University, I've seen some stuff from their program and I know a few people that go there, it's pretty good. It's not a music college really but they do have a great music program
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
HIgh school musical college edition. Duh.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Quote by WattsyBoy97
i guess full sail

Full Sail is for Recording, not music theory. There is a one month class called Song Craft, but it's dumbed downed music theory that a 3rd grader could get. It was quite funny watching all the "hip-hop producers" struggle that month though.