Page 1 of 2
this started out as just something i kind of wanted to find, just to see what amazing playing was outside the world of metal/metalcore/hardcore and stuff like that. and don't say anything about jazz because i already listen to a lot of jazz haha really i'm just looking for bands the are really technically gifted and use it in an unorthodox way. it's really become sort of an obsession at this point! help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: let me clarify a bit more, what i have in mind is something that's not just technical guitar solos but i want something that's technical throughout the music like riff's complex progressions and all the stuff. kind of like tera melos but not so shifty
Last edited by sandshrew77 at Oct 18, 2008,
try a prog rock band like An Endless Sporadic, or Rush. I have some of an Endless Sporadic on my profile, first song on the second playlist.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by moogaar

haha i knew someone would say this band, but i just can't really get into it, it dosen't seem that technical.

yeah i listen to rush and a few others that you guys suggested but i'll check out the one's i haven't heard and whatever others get named
I don't know about "really technically gifted" but depending upon your skill level some Mars Volta songs could be tricky, or at the very least unorthodox. John 5 is another guitarist I like and although his solo work is metal-ish, he integrates some pretty awesome bluegrass techniques - check out "Gein with Envy" for instance.

EDIT: Here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29miaqhTOs
damiera. They do alot of complex rhythms if you listen closely.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by Adam_G
I don't know about "really technically gifted" but depending upon your skill level some Mars Volta songs could be tricky, or at the very least unorthodox. John 5 is another guitarist I like and although his solo work is metal-ish, he integrates some pretty awesome bluegrass techniques - check out "Gein with Envy" for instance.

EDIT: Here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29miaqhTOs

yeah i like both john 5 and mars volta. but i don't consider the mars volta technical at all, just really well composed. and john 5 (though really good at all the country/bluegrass stuff) i have it set in my mind that he's metal.

and i really like an endless sporadic, so thanks to that guy who metioned them haha
Mr. Big I think. Paul Gilbert was in it, so it should be somewhat technical. I haven't listened to all their records yet.
Quote by sandshrew77
yeah i like both john 5 and mars volta. but i don't consider the mars volta technical at all, just really well composed. and john 5 (though really good at all the country/bluegrass stuff) i have it set in my mind that he's metal.

and i really like an endless sporadic, so thanks to that guy who metioned them haha

Tetragrammaton or whatever the song's name is has some pretty technical solos courtesy of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez.

TS, I would wait for Joe Satriani's Chickenfoot, I'm sure you have some technical guitar parts from Satriani. You guys can complain about Sammy being the singer all you want, you know Chickenfoot is gonna be great.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
oops read thread wrong!

cinematic orchestra
paco de lucia
mahavishnu orchestra
weather report
king crimson
Racer X.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Zepulcre
oops read thread wrong!

cinematic orchestra
paco de lucia
mahavishnu orchestra
weather report
king crimson

yeah i consider machavishnu orchestra jazz, probably just because of john mclaughlin but i'll check out the other guys

and to the other guy, i like phish a lot but it's not really all that technical aside from you enjoy myself, some parts of run like an antelope and a few parts in stash haha
Umphrey's McGee..

the be all end all.

SO sweet, awesome grooves and polyrhythms on a tight bassline.
------

Shwiggity.
Some prog rock bands that are wicked are dream theater, tool, rush, etc. They all have wicked stuff going on that is very technical.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by sandshrew77
and to the other guy, i like phish a lot but it's not really all that technical aside from you enjoy myself, some parts of run like an antelope and a few parts in stash haha

Haha, that's great. I was going to suggest YEM. Looks like you are doing fine on your own
Quote by InvaderTSN
Mr. Big I think. Paul Gilbert was in it, so it should be somewhat technical. I haven't listened to all their records yet.

Yeah I'd say Mr Big. Also consider Muse, they're pretty technically skilled. And some of Dream Theater's softer stuff isn't all that "metal".
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
Check my profile and pick random artists/bands.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by TheRavenEffekt
Yeah I'd say Mr Big. Also consider Muse, they're pretty technically skilled. And some of Dream Theater's softer stuff isn't all that "metal".

Knights of Cydonia should be a moderate challenge. I think there are some arpeggios or something similar somewhere in there.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

______________________███████████████████
Steve Vai
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
thanks for all the suggestions but i've listened to most if not all of these bands before and though close it's not quite what's in my head haha i know you guys can's hear that but i'll keep searching. and if you wanna keep suggesting bands i'll deff keep checking haha
Quote by sandshrew77
this started out as just something i kind of wanted to find, just to see what amazing playing was outside the world of metal/metalcore/hardcore and stuff like that. and don't say anything about jazz because i already listen to a lot of jazz haha really i'm just looking for bands the are really technically gifted and use it in an unorthodox way. it's really become sort of an obsession at this point! help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: let me clarify a bit more, what i have in mind is something that's not just technical guitar solos but i want something that's technical throughout the music like riff's complex progressions and all the stuff. kind of like tera melos but not so shifty

How bout pretty much any progressive band in existence?
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian

Gentle Giant isn't very technical.

If you're looking for technical ability over listenability, listen to Keith Emerson's keyboard work in Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Gentle Giant isn't very technical.

If you're looking for technical ability over listenability, listen to Keith Emerson's keyboard work in Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Maybe not instrumentally, but they have crazy chord progressions and meter changes, not to mention unconventional instrumentation
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian

Never heard anything from any prog bands from the early 60's to late 70's have you?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Uh, yeah I have. I'm a huge prog fan. Prog in the early 60s? I assume you mean late 60s.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by sandshrew77

fast pace technical music. greg howe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csK2p65LSE
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Never heard anything from any prog bands from the early 60's to late 70's have you?

Rush maybe?
Rush, Yes, ELP, early Genesis, Moody Blues

Some of the more obvious prog bands of the 1970s
A while back some people started up this kind of music called jazz, its really good and you might be really interested in it. They use tons of instruments.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by mercedesisbenz
A while back some people started up this kind of music called jazz, its really good and you might be really interested in it. They use tons of instruments.

wow, i can tell you read the original post

This Town Needs Guns, American Football, Ghosts and Vodka, Icarus the Owl (formerly known as Kill Your Ex), Don Caballero.
Although its more mathy than technical i'd say.

stuff like that?
Last edited by Jdius Racius at Jul 25, 2009,
Jimmy Herring
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Frank Zappa

Fusion, or just Jazz. Either way, there's plenty of amazing guitar work here.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
VersaEmerge knows how to play out of 4/4 and 3/4. I'd recommend the songs "Whisperer" and "Consider The Sea".
Page 1 of 2