I have just received a Marshall mg50 dfx for my birthday and want to upgrade my sx Strat copy. I was thinking a Les Paul epiphone or strat. I have been playing for a year now and play Hard Rock, Blues, Classic Rock, A bit of metal, And some clean tunes.
I have Around 400$ but I'm willing to spend up to 650$ as Christmas is around the corner and I have a big family.

Please give me your opinions.
Last edited by marshallmanAus at Oct 18, 2008,
Not to be a downer, I think it'd be best if you returned the MG and then combine that with your current budget. You could afford a Peavey Classic 30 and an Agile/Epi Lp with that. Maybe even a Traynor YCV50.
stay with fender since you play those styles of music.................i suggest the mexican fender strats with the humbucker, 2 single-coils................i play mostly metal but was brought up on classic rock, country, hard rock..........i have a fender telecaster that is by far the best guitar I own.........i also have esp's, jackson..................again fenders are just so easy and sweet to play and can pull off any genre you'd like...usually around 349.99 - 399.99.good luck man
Quote by Iceman 420
Not to be a downer, I think it'd be best if you returned the MG and then combine that with your current budget. You could afford a Peavey Classic 30 and an Agile/Epi Lp with that. Maybe even a Traynor YCV50.

truth.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Argh, an MG.

You should return it, and save for a better amp, possibly tube or even a Roland Cube or something.

I have a Traynor YCV50 Blue. I love it - you could try finding a used one.
Agreed with jfd, get a Standard Fat Strat, they go for about $400 and they're great for all those genres.

I'm also not a big fan of the MG series though.
I have an epi LP (a cheap one) and I don't like the big heel on the neck. The high frets are not very comfortable to play on.

If you have large hands though an epi might suit you well. Depends on what type of sounds you like.
your parent must hate you, or want you to not play guitar anymore (sorry)

But yeah, at risk of upsetting your parents, return it and get a better amp

EDIT: oh I didn't realise you were from Australia, see how much you can return your amp for, because I dont think there's much on offer you could upgrade to, it cost me $1000AUD to get a reasonable rig.
If you dont mind the tone of your amp, I would in all my ineffable wisdom wait for the economy to return back to normal and buy a guitar from the US on ebay, You can save a good 50% on guitars sometimes, whixh would leave you the option to change the speaker on the MG.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by Deep*Kick
your parent must hate you, or want you to not play guitar anymore (sorry)

But yeah, at risk of upsetting your parents, return it and get a better amp

yeah...i don't think that'de fly with most parents. "mom..dad..we gotta return the gift you bought me cause some guys on this website i know said it was a piece of shit!!"

TS is in a tough spot. tbh though, i'de bite the bullet and keep the MG for now (at the risk that your parents will never buy you any more gear in the future )
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless