I was wondering what ways I could increase the thickness/fatness(don't really know how to describe it) of the tone from my 5150 combo and remove some of the fizz. I like the guitar tone of bands like Iced Earth, Quo Vadis, Death (from albums like symbolic and human), and Insomnium (although I think they get their "thickness" just from layering so many instruments). I also want that smooth, creamy (lol, lots of adjectives) solo tone that i hear from Quo Vadis or Death for example.

I hear a Maxon OD808 helps a lot, what is your guys opinion? What about a Bad Monkey? is the maxon better enough to warrant a large increase in cost?

How much would changing speakers or pickups really affect my tone compared to other options? (it currently has the stock sheffield speakers, and I have stock INF 3 and INF 4 pickups on my Ibanez RG321)

What about an EQ like MXR 10 band, o 6 band, how about the Fish 'N Chips, what impact will that have?

Thanks guys, basically I can only choose one of those options (or others) for now because I only have about $125 left over from buying the amp.
Using an overdrive mostly only makes it tighter, doesn't really help the solo tone much. I have the same problem with my 6505 head, and I've tried different cabs which didn't really sovle it either. I'm going to try an attenuator soon, and if that won't do the trick, then I'll get it retubed.

If that doesn't do it, I'm done with that amp, and I'm selling it.
It's probably out of your range, but Voodoo Amps has amazing mods.
But your looking at a good $300-$600 range. =l
I'm guessing it's the RG. Try experimenting with a few slightly more expensive guitars from a couple of different companies at your local shop (hopefully they'll have a 5150 or something similar in the display area that you can use.) I wouldn't recommend an EQ as the 5150 has plenty of tweakability in that department built in, but you might try cranking the mids of your amp's built-in EQ... I know, I know, mids aren't metal...
^ Dude, cranking the mids on a 5150 only makes it even more harsh. The amp has more mids than you'll ever need. Unless you have some veeery scooped sounding speakers though...
Yeah, you should really look into an overdrive pedal, that can really enhance the sound of your amp significantly. Also, as mentioned, reconsider the RG, Ibanez RG series are generally quite terrible and thin as guitars, you'll need something with a bit less bite and more smoothness.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Dores
^ Dude, cranking the mids on a 5150 only makes it even more harsh. The amp has more mids than you'll ever need. Unless you have some veeery scooped sounding speakers though...

Really? I guess Van Halen does predate Metallica, so it makes sense that his amp would have plenty of mids built in.
Quote by IncubusMan999
Yeah, you should really look into an overdrive pedal, that can really enhance the sound of your amp significantly. Also, as mentioned, reconsider the RG, Ibanez RG series are generally quite terrible and thin as guitars, you'll need something with a bit less bite and more smoothness.

Ahhh...I like my RG, what's wrong with it? Although i have been thinking about getting a new guitar like perhaps this or a les paul (but those are WAY to expensive for me, unless i go with an epiphone )
But getting a new guitar won't happen anytime soon, right now I'm looking to refine my current sound
isnt it sad that we all spend lots of money on top of the line, professional instruments and amps, and then we have to spend a whole bunch more money just to get the tone we want.
if any of the major amp manufacturers are reading this right now, listen up, if you made an amp that did everything i needed it to do, and did it well, without need for mods, i would buy it, right now.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
For the price that you pay for it, there's nothing wrong with an RG (unless you go after one of the more expensive RGs, which are overpriced). But the fact remains that a cheap guitar is going to sound like a cheap guitar. Just wait, and don't waste your money on short term solutions that are going to be dealt with in a few months anyway.

And cheaman, an RG321 is definitely not top-of-the-line professional gear.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
For the price that you pay for it, there's nothing wrong with an RG (unless you go after one of the more expensive RGs, which are overpriced). But the fact remains that a cheap guitar is going to sound like a cheap guitar. Just wait, and don't waste your money on short term solutions that are going to be dealt with in a few months anyway.

And cheaman, an RG321 is definitely not top-of-the-line professional gear.

i was talking about the 5150, because, you know, thats what this thread is about. i dont even know what your on about.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I've actually tried that particular RG through my 5150 and it doesn't sound good. It's not a very good guitar. That is one problem. I use a little more expensive RG's through the 5150 and it sounds great.

Second, a Maxon 808 would REALLY help. I just got one for my amp and it sounds waaaay better. The Low end just got so much tighter and the mid-range is very defined. If you get a OD you won't need a EQ.

Don't worry about pickups right now, look into guitars and a OD first. Cab's are another story...depending on how much a perfectionist you are on tone.
Quote by georgeazguitar
I've actually tried that particular RG through my 5150 and it doesn't sound good. It's not a very good guitar. That is one problem. I use a little more expensive RG's through the 5150 and it sounds great.

Second, a Maxon 808 would REALLY help. I just got one for my amp and it sounds waaaay better. The Low end just got so much tighter and the mid-range is very defined. If you get a OD you won't need a EQ.

Don't worry about pickups right now, look into guitars and a OD first. Cab's are another story...depending on how much a perfectionist you are on tone.

I would love to eventually get a new guitar, but I think the soonest I could get one is in the summer, so i think I might get the OD and wait until i have enough money...

What does you guys think of the ESP LTD EC-500?

Wow...i'm gonna be spending so much money ...i never thought it would get this outta hand and

Edit- What's the difference between the RG321 and more expensive ones? If i remember right, the my 321 has the same body wood (mahogany) and other specs as the more expensive models, just with a hardtail.
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Oct 18, 2008,