Do you think it's possible for a band to have a set of songs that would be mixed pretty evenly between clean and overdriven guitar tones? They would all be uptempo songs, but I'm writing some new songs now and I find that playing clean works great for one song, but playing with a British rock crunch sound works better for others. Trying to switch them one way or the other never seems to never work. I either end up using a chord that's too complex for distortion, or the riff loses its "sound" when changed tonally.

Can a band be split like this, or does it really throw an audience, and possibly even sound like the band doesn't have "direction" or a specific "sound"? Do I have to "choose" a tone for the band to have? Keep in mind that the tempos on all the songs generally hover in the same range--upbeat rock beats for the most part, maybe a ballad or two in there as well, but the structures and everything else are pretty much the same between clean and overdriven songs.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
it wont through people at all, dream theater , pink floyd, Foo Fighters, just three that came to my head straight away are bands that do this OFTEN

Dream Theater Take The Time switches between clean and overdriven like 10 times within the first couple of minutes
you can change sounds and textures, keeping it in one or at least very similar genres might be nice. Just take a minute to adjust your amps or whatever but practice it so you know exactly what you need to do so you can do it really quickly to keep things moving
Of course not. You're just taking dynamics into a greater account, which is never a bad thing.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Wow, thanks a lot guys. All of these responses have really helped me a lot and given me a new angle on thinking about this.
And mixing clean and distorted sounds within a song, or between songs also worked for Gin Blossoms, Tom Petty, John Cougar, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Opeth

Look at and study what they do.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger
Opeth

Look at and study what they do.

Well, thanks for the suggestion.....but I'm not really into metal. (Ducks for cover as UG-er flames fly at him left and right.)

I would be combo'ing songs that are kind of Strokes-ish in terms of guitar tones, with songs with crunchy riffs like AC/DC or GN'R. Granted, I suppose that overly generalizes things, but in the interest of simplicity I'll keep it to that.

I know a bit more care should probably be taken in organizing a set list so that it may not be as jarring....so with this in mind, could I open a show with several cleaner-toned songs and then go into the overdriven ones? And then back and forth? Or is it better to open "harder" and then 'softer"?

Thanks again for all your help everyone.