which one.... i play contemporary church songs, rock, bit of everything - thru AD30VT VOX

s620 good sounding guitar i reckon - 22 frets :S - better looks.

RGT 42FMDX- nice neck thru - 24 frets, a bit muddier, but better all around body. i think the pick ups are too weak to cut the fat mahogany body. (S has same body but sleeker).

the choices...

ANYONE own these guitars and can recommend me one?
As long as you're not shredding and stuff like that needing the 24th frets, they're un-necessary. I'd go with the S.
Ibanez makes an RG Series with mahogany!!!?? I gotta check this out, I thought all but the most expensive were basswood...

Edit - Dam, it's a fixed bridge...I wish they would make one with trem.

Anyway, to answer your original question, I'd go for the S. But some people consider the S necks anorexic, make sure it fits your hand. All Ibanezes are slim but the S's are especially slim.
Last edited by tigerking615 at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by tigerking615
Ibanez makes an RG Series with mahogany!!!?? I gotta check this out, I thought all but the most expensive were basswood...

Edit - Dam, it's a fixed bridge...I wish they would make one with trem.

Anyway, to answer your original question, I'd go for the S. But some people consider the S necks anorexic, make sure it fits your hand. All Ibanezes are slim but the S's are especially slim.

S necks are not as thick as the RG Prestige necks, and they are the same thickness as non-Prestige RG necks. Says the profiles on the site.

That said, and me being the owner of a mahogany, thru-neck RG, I would recommend the RG to anyone. Granted, my RG is a higher end model, but it would play similar to the RG you listed, which I have also played. The thru-neck is the defining feature of the guitar. Aside from being really easy on the hands on the higher frets, it really does have some serious sustain.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Yeah RG does have mahogany bodies.

Dudage do you find the RG to be a little muddy when playing chords?
had a rgt42 with an edge pro 2 trem. painted neck got on my nerves, and the EP2 started crapping out pretty fast. neck through is still a huge difference in access from the AANJ on my rg1527, but i think the fretwork and overall quality is better in the prestige model. according to pifty's ibby trem guide you can swap out the EP2 for an edge pro, but i don't think it's worth it. i just would not buy the rgt42 in general. i recommend an rg1570 over an rgt42.
Prestige is good. but what about the S? any issues with that? it's quite an unpopular model
I've played the 'S' and it's a really nice guitar that I'm sure you'll love. I own an RGT42 with mahogany body and locking trem and I'm sure you'll love that too. It's really down to personal taste. I actually went out to buy the 'S' series but decided on the RGT42 because I really liked the thru-neck and I wanted 24 frets. I didn't find the stock pups too bad, though having said that I have changed them now. I would say that as the RGT42 is being run out of stock you can pick them up for great prices now and are certainly excellent value. I've enjoyed mine and I have no desire at all to change it. When they do an 'S' series with a thru-neck and 24 frets I may change my mind but not until then.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1