Not so much that it's bad, just that there are far better amps out there for what these cost.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
the problem isnt that it sucks (which it kinda does), its that it gets marketed as an amp you can gig with. the 15w version isnt bad, it gives lots of options and you can play with a ton of effects. its when people get the bigger ones that UG members facepalm. cause if you buy a spider bigger than that, its a practice amp that plays at performace volumes. a practice amp is fine for practice, but when you play for others the tone just doesnt cut it. thats the problem, and the fact that the build quality isnt all that great.
...and to think the search bar would've yeilded the answers you sought since this question HAS been asked a million times
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by jof1029
the problem isnt that it sucks (which it kinda does), its that it gets marketed as an amp you can gig with. the 15w version isnt bad, it gives lots of options and you can play with a ton of effects. its when people get the bigger ones that UG members facepalm. cause if you buy a spider bigger than that, its a practice amp that plays at performace volumes. a practice amp is fine for practice, but when you play for others the tone just doesnt cut it. thats the problem, and the fact that the build quality isnt all that great.

Nailed it right there. For the price of a large Spider III amp which is gig worthy you can get much better options, both SS and valve.
Basically what other people said. The 15 watt is an ok practice amp. The bigger ones are dumb buys.
To be specific, it sounds rather digital and fabricated.
The cleans are decent but uninspiring.
The crunch channel sounds not too great, really unlike what it is modelled after.
The metal channel is pretty sterile-sounding.
Insane is almost unusable in any band context: it keeps the notes clear but that amount of gain and noise sounds bad.

So basically its OK at best. You can do better for the price
Yes. I have one. I know.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20