Basically my guitar (cheapish les paul copy) has some problems with the high E string.

On the third fret it gets signifficant buzz, to the point where the note won't ring. This only happens on the high E string.

Another problem is that i can't intone the guitar correctly. When i was intoning it, i had to bring all the pieces toward the neck a signifficant amount before it was intoned correctly. When it came to the high e string, i could not move the piece far enough forward to intone it. It had reached the highest point in the bridge. (Note, flipping the bridge won't work, they are already facing the shortest way).

Im going to buy some new strings tomorrow and i was wondering will a lighter or heavier gauge help any of these problems?
I tried that, and with a much higher action, it became harder to play, and only improved the buzz problem slightly. I'm more concerned about the intonation though. Will a higher action, make it intone closer to the brige rather than the neck?
when you fret an e on the 12th fret, is the high e string too flat or too sharp?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
It is too flat. As in, i had to move all of the turny things in the bridge closer to the neck, except i couldn't move the high e one up enough and at the end of its screw it is still flat at the 12th fret.

For reference i have a standard tune-matic bridge.
what string gauge do you use?
try using a thicker high e string

i used to have a similar problem with my squier from a starter pack i bought when i first started playing.

the high E string was way too sharp and i moved the saddle as far away as possible with very little results. so i ended up using 8's with the saddle as far as it could go and only then did my high e string get intonated properly. but since you're problem is the opposite from mine, try a heavier string gauge on the high e, hopefully that will help.

as for the buzz on the third fret, i too had that same problem. because of the really thin e string i had to raise the saddle a bit. getting a thicker e string should hopefully fix the fret buzz as well as your intonation.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Ok thanks. That was pretty helpful. Guitars normally come with .10s right? So i should i walk in and ask for .11s?

I plan on changing the strings and id like to have them all of the same gauge.
well guitars usually come with 9's or 10's but if you're going to change the string gauge on all strings, then you'll have to adjust the intonation on all the strings, not to mention you'll have more tension to overcome when you do high bends. i was suggesting just changing the gauge only on the high e string, but if you'd rather change all the strings together, then by all means do so.

EDIT: my suggestion is buy a single high E-string. if you have 9's then by a 10, and if you currently have 10's then by an 11. but like i mentioned before, the higher the gauge of strings, the more tension, hence bending notes will be bit more tough.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Oct 18, 2008,
Yeah, i get what your saying. I think it would be better to have the relative gauge the same on all strings but. Right now it feels about the same amount of pressure bending all the strings, and id rather keep it that way.

Thanks alot for your help.
yup, let me know how it works out for you.

Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock