hi i'm kind of new to all this recording and i have a few questions. i would like to start recording soon but i have no clue which interface to buy. i am planning on getting this one http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Inspire-1394-FireWire-Audio-Interface-103943718-i1126021.gc .
is that one worth it?

i know i should have more inputs so i can record multiple instruments at once, but can't i do one at a time and like overlap them all together? Like do guitars first, then bass, then vocals, then add some MIDI drum tracks?

because if i can overlap, i'll probably just go with the presonus-inspire.

but if i can't, i'll have to rethink and buy one with more inputs.

thanks
yes sir you got it.........no need to spend extra money for a little more effort....go get'em dude
other than some monitors, mics, cables, stands, software, and knowledge you are good to go with that interface.

yes you can overlap, it's called multi-tracking
each instrument/take will be on it's own track in the end.

Dont listen to the spammer above
We dont promote "free software downloads" here at UG.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 18, 2008,
... and frankly, theres no need to crack software these days considering the sheer quality of freeware/shareware/cheapware available.

i recently cleared my hard-drive of all pirate stuff and now my home studio is 100% freeware. i did this because i didn't want to become too dependant on software that i would have to pay for eventually. i'm working on some projects now that will end up in the public domain and so in anticipation, i got rid of all the cracked stuff.
and when i actually do start recording. i'll probably buy the sm57 mic. i have a b-52 at 112 tube amp. so should i go with a single mic? or two?

and do i really need to spend another hundred or two on a software, or can i just use a free one (suggestions?).

thanks
1. You'll only need one microphone
2. The Presonus comes with software to record with. Use that.

For MIDI drums, you'll buy another interface/cable to take care of that. It's not a big deal...they run ~$30.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
no i meant like a software like ezdrummer (not sure if its free though) where you can just enter in the drum beats you want.
Ah, then just get the Presonus. The other stuff's a contingency plan anyway...it wasn't going to matter until you get the kit.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101