I've been playing for a while now and after I bought my Peavey 6505+ and had my pickups upgraded I feel that my next purchase would be a delay pedal. The question is just which, and I don't even know if I want an analog or a digital. I probably wont make greater delays than in Megadeth's My Darkest Hour solo, and I will only use it with distortion. I only play metal - thrash, melodeath and heavy and such. It'd be great if the pedal could have reverb as well, and the price I'm willing to pay is about... say 170-200 USD, but I could of course put more money in it if necessary, or just buy used.

Thanks
Pretty much any delay pedal will do reverb if you have the delay rate really fast.

If you want something for solos that will not get your way too much, you probably should go digital, something like a TC Electronic Nova Delay.
However, if you want that tonal bliss you'll get with analog, you want to look at either an MXR Carbon Copy, Malekko Dark 600 delay or Maxon AD-9.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Fast delay gives you a slapback sound, long delays give you something closer to reverb ambience.

Either way, if you're after that old school feel then an analog delay will deliver perfectly, something like the Electro Harmonix Memory Man if you want the best of the best or if you're an ebay tyep, hunt around for an old boss AD-1, beautiful tone out of those puppies.

However, the things that make analog delays great, also make them extremely non-versatile. When an analog delay repeates the signal, the sound gets more an more degraded so for anything beyond 3-4 repeats, it starts to sound more like a reverb tail. This is nice if you don't wanna spring for 2 pedals and just use it for a nice touch of sustain and colour when soloing.

However if you want to be able to have delays repeating all over the place for long periods of time (think Joe Satriani in the old days) then you're gonna want the clarity of a digital delay.

I'd recommend the Digitech digidelay or boss DD-6. Both have great analog models on there which are great as ambience tools and tone thickeners and also have tap tempo functions so your delays can be in time with your playing.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Fast delay gives you a slapback sound, long delays give you something closer to reverb ambience.

Either way, if you're after that old school feel then an analog delay will deliver perfectly, something like the Electro Harmonix Memory Man if you want the best of the best or if you're an ebay tyep, hunt around for an old boss AD-1, beautiful tone out of those puppies.

However, the things that make analog delays great, also make them extremely non-versatile. When an analog delay repeates the signal, the sound gets more an more degraded so for anything beyond 3-4 repeats, it starts to sound more like a reverb tail. This is nice if you don't wanna spring for 2 pedals and just use it for a nice touch of sustain and colour when soloing.

However if you want to be able to have delays repeating all over the place for long periods of time (think Joe Satriani in the old days) then you're gonna want the clarity of a digital delay.

I'd recommend the Digitech digidelay or boss DD-6. Both have great analog models on there which are great as ambience tools and tone thickeners and also have tap tempo functions so your delays can be in time with your playing.

Wait... the Digitech Digidelay and the DD-6 are both digital aren't they?

And also, I found this video and the Digitech seem much more fun Check it out here: Digitech - Digi Delay

The Digitech seem to have everything I need, but have you tried the Boss? Does it sound better?
The Boss and the Digitech are in about the same price group, so it might be down to just one of those...

And the pedal you, IncubusMan999 recommended is VERY hard to find in Sweden :/ Plus I've decided now that I want a digital one. But thanks anyway!
I just bought the DD7 today. What a great pedal. I was not even looking for a delay when I went into the store. I was going to get BIG MUFF. Every time I hear someone else play a bigmuff I want one but every time I try one I find it is just not for me. I don't know why but the big muff seems to take away the guitar natural tone I usually try it with 4 or 5 different guitars and amps but I end up not buying it I guess it is just not for me. Anyhow I have wanted a better delay than what my zoom g1 can give me so after the bigmuff disapointment I decide to try the DD7. I am glad that I did. Needless to say I bought the DD7 and am loving every minute of it.