Poll: What Should I Get?
Poll Options
View poll results: What Should I Get?
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive
23 72%
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Made in USA)
9 28%
Voters: 32.
Hey Guys

I Got A Question ... Should I Get A Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Made in USA) Or A Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive? Leave Me Comments On What I Should Get Please.
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
Big Muff, while cool sounding cuts all low end, Boss dosn't cut low end as it's a bass pedal. it depends what you want the pedal for...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Well try them, and if you prefer the muff, buy the new bass one so you can still have all your low end
These threads make no sense. Try them out! They are very different. See which one you like more or may go well with any other effects you already have.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Have you tried them? The only way you're going to know is by trying them. Each get very different tones and you should really be messing around with them yourself in order to find a good tone for you.

And I see someone uses capslock a lot.

Or Someone Has A Trigger-Happy Shift Key. This Is Intensly Difficult. How Do You Find This Natural To Type Like?

Seriously?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Or Someone Has A Trigger-Happy Shift Key. This Is Intensly Difficult. How Do You Find This Natural To Type Like?

Seriously?

When you type in all caps UG automatically changes it to only the first letter as capital.
Oh, by the way, I don't believe you when you say you're 18 on your profile.

But on topic, the only way you'll find out which is better is by opinion. Go and try them yourself and go with your own opinion.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Seriously? This Is Just A Test. I Will Probably Delete This Straight After I Posted It.

I Think Thunderbirds Are Really Cool And I Wish I Wasn't Scared Of Losing All Of Your Respect By Owning One, Otherwise I Would.

EDIT: SO IT DOES. OH WELL, YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY.

EDIT2: GOD DAMMIT. DOESN'T WORK IF IT CHANGES THE PREVIOUS POST AND THEN YOU TRY TO ADD TO IT. I JUST LEARNED A SECOND THING I DID NOT KNOW BEFORE.

Edit3: Just so this isn't spam. I would try out both and see what you like most. However, I will say that both are not that great when it comes to quality of overdriven sound. And the muff takes out a lot of your low end.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Last edited by Nutter_101 at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by J.J.Jolly
Hey Guys

I Got A Question ... Should I Get A Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Made in USA) Or A Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive? Leave Me Comments On What I Should Get Please.

Neither. I'd rather get the Bass Big Muff than the low end sapping guitar version, and the ODB-3 is very hit or miss as to if you like it or not.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Neither. I'd rather get the Bass Big Muff than the low end sapping guitar version, and the ODB-3 is very hit or miss as to if you like it or not.

I love the sound of the Guitar Big Muff on bass, I admit though it isn't very useful for a band environment. For a good bass distortion, you should get out the Ashdown Hyperdrive.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Nutter has confused me.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Nutter has confused me.

join the club. nutter is not known for his clear articulation. or focused mind.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ok first of all i dont need all this s*** about how i use caps lock all the time (who cares?) and secondly i havent tried them i was just wondering if anybody has tried them and think they are good, bad etc.

Quote by J.J.Jolly
ok first of all i dont need all this s*** about how i use caps lock all the time (who cares?) and secondly i havent tried them i was just wondering if anybody has tried them and think they are good, bad etc.

Okay mate, first of all, chill out. Secondly - We don't know what sound you want. If you're looking for a versatile sound, I wouldn't recommend either. The Big Muff seems more like a fuzz/distortion than an overdrive, not sure if that's what you want, as well as it sucking low end like a cheap *****. If you do want a Muff, go for a Bass Muff, it won't cut so much low end.

As for the ODB-3, it is, as Jack said, a very love-hate pedal. So trying it out is paramount to see if you like it.

For a list of overdrives that you might use, check out the FAQ. It has a link (in the effects section) to soundclips of pretty much every distortion/fuzz/overdrive out there on the market. Take a look at that.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nah, Chris is completely understandable if you're part of the intelligensia.

In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Okay mate, first of all, chill out. Secondly - We don't know what sound you want. If you're looking for a versatile sound, I wouldn't recommend either. The Big Muff seems more like a fuzz/distortion than an overdrive, not sure if that's what you want, as well as it sucking low end like a cheap *****. If you do want a Muff, go for a Bass Muff, it won't cut so much low end.

As for the ODB-3, it is, as Jack said, a very love-hate pedal. So trying it out is paramount to see if you like it.

For a list of overdrives that you might use, check out the FAQ. It has a link (in the effects section) to soundclips of pretty much every distortion/fuzz/overdrive out there on the market. Take a look at that.

ok i want to try and get a kind of kings of leon sounding bass distortion/fuzz sound, also, a kind of muse (hysteria) sounding bass.

the big muff will be good for muse-esque fuzz but get the bass big muff it'll retain the low end of your tone. the only reason Chris W's tone has low end is because he biamps
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
i think i will probs go for boss, the poll says boss sooooooo .... yh thanks for help

Quote by J.J.Jolly
i think i will probs go for boss, the poll says boss sooooooo .... yh thanks for help

if it was the bass big muff on there, I think It'd be much more even.

I think for muse that would be the most fitting.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

J.J. you need to distinguish between the 2 pedals, the muff is a fuzz/distortion pedal while the odb3 is an overdrive/distortion

there is a huge difference between them, i know a guy who has both in his pedal board and uses them each for different things

you will never get muse tone from an odb3 likewise you'll never get flea's overdriven tone from a big muff. they are very different pedals with very different sounds and very different applications. you can't A/B them on an internet forum and decide whats best for you that way. the only way you'll know what you want is by trying them out yourself and learning the difference between overdrive, distortion and fuzz
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
... has anyone heard of kings of leon? i wanna try and get his kind of distortion.

that is overdrive. real overdrive. you want like, a Sansamp or something. I don't know I like fuzz better. but neither of those are suitable.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

yh ok im gona get the boss pedal