Is it possible to learn playing by notes on my own or is it more beneficial to go to a music school (which only start on the 1th September)? Do you know anyone who has done this? Suggestions?
Thanks!
It's definatly possible on your own, but I aint quite sure what you mean.
Do you want to learn to read sheet music?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Yes. I'm not that good in English, so I just guessed how would "noodikiri" be in the language.
Ah, right. Try reading this tutorial http://www.tutorials.com/09/0917/0917.asp. I found it quite easy to understand. I've been able to read notation for year because I play in a brass band...
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Learning how to read music isn't hard at all. It's just memorization. I would not recommend paying someone to teach you it if that's all you intend to learn at this time. Use the online resources like above.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
ive been to music school and found it beneficial with my sight reading.
you can do it on your own , but there will come a time when a school or teacher will be able to help you .
trust your OWN intuition on this matter !
The best way to learn notation is, IMHO, to learn what the lines represent (briefly, you don't have to memorise crazily) and where the notes are on the fretboard (roughly, working them out is fine because this will help with notes aswell) then just sight read as much as you possibly can. And if your trying to learn notation then maybe sight read something till you can play it reasonably accurately then move on to something new, because soon you will stop concentrating on reading if you know it thus it is useless (if trying to learn reading).

At first i suggest you start out easy. Get something like a begginer guitar book (even if you're not a begginer because sight reading should be a lot less hard than the best you can play (about 2 grades lower, if you care)), preferably a classical or teaching one because they have gradual increases, unlike tab books. Once you can sight read these move on to a harder book (maybe a sequel of a series).

Also, remember that although learning to read the notes is a fairly one time thing to do, learning to read increasingly complex rythms (and knowing how to play them) is an ongoing process. It's possible to say that you know all there is to know about notes in standard notation, but not many people can truly say the same about rythms. Imagine sight reading trying to play quintuplet (5 notes in the space of 4) demi-semi-quavers in a quick 4/4 and you'll get what I mean.

Finally, once your fairly confident in one clef (probably treble for a guitarist) learn the other clefs (bass, alto, tenor) as well even if they don't apply to whatever instrument you're playing because that sort of knowledge is invaluble when playing with and talking to other musicians.

And remember that guitar sounds an octave lower than written, and the technical way to write that is treble clef with a little 8 coming off the bottom.

Edit: to jasonmetal love, that is death cab (transatlanticism, methinks) in your sig, right?
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Oct 18, 2008,
i would recommend buying Fernando sor studys, if you want to get into reading music.
Its segovia approved.

all the songs to have a nice charm too well most studys are stale sounding.
Quote by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off. (each others)

/\WTF!!!!