I've got a Marshall MG series 50DFX amp and a boss ME-50 effects pedal. I know my amp isn't the best but it was cheapish and can go pretty loud. My guitar is an Epiphone Gibson SG and hasn't been modified.

I have little to no experience with equipment but i have to start somewhere, just wondering what i could buy to improve sound. Any suggestions?
Get a better amp.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Zero_Mike
Get a better amp.

This.

You're amp is with all likely hood the reason you don't like your sound. They are sorta really bad amps.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
New amp. Im pretty sure new pckups would do nothing with that amp, and your ME isnt bad, so go for a new amp.
The Epiphone and ME will work for a good while. The MG has to go.

In my opinion when it comes to gear you shouldn't beat around the bush. If you know your amp is horrible (i.e. have played some GOOD amps) then you should change it.

Good guitar + bad amp = bad tone, whereas bad guitar + good amp = good tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
New amp is all you can do. If your still looking cheap that crate V18 should like your Boss unit. I know a Valve Junior will, but you may want more volume.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
New amp ftw.

Seriously, unless you're trying to replicate Wayne Static, there is really nothing good that an MG will do for you.
An amp being able to go loud is very different from an amp sounding good.
+1 to everyone who said new amp.

Kick that MG to the curb.
no, just that MG's are awful and gimmics because they say marshall on them. Give us a price range and what kind of stuff you play and we'll give you an idea of what you should look for
Quote by Psycho Pigeon
What should i be looking for in a new amp? Is it higher the wattage the better?

what's your budget....
and higher wattage isn't always better, just can get louder
Quote by Psycho Pigeon
My guitar is an Epiphone SG and hasn't been modified.

Fixed
Achually, as hard as it is to say you're breaking 3 rules with you're gear as is.

1. Most importantly, using a MG
2. Running a Multi-FX Board
3. Haven't put new pickups in the Epi LP

Most will agree that all three of those are mistakes. Multi-Fx Pedals are really nice for at home practice, but you can't play them loud and get good sounds out of them really. MG's just suck, as most would agree, and the Epi LP has bad pickups. Hate to say it but it's just a start, get some of those cleaned up.
Quote by pacoasterrider
Achually, as hard as it is to say you're breaking 3 rules with you're gear as is.

1. Most importantly, using a MG
2. Running a Multi-FX Board
3. Haven't put new pickups in the Epi LP

Most will agree that all three of those are mistakes. Multi-Fx Pedals are really nice for at home practice, but you can't play them loud and get good sounds out of them really. MG's just suck, as most would agree, and the Epi LP has bad pickups. Hate to say it but it's just a start, get some of those cleaned up.

the way you worded that makes me feel like i need to rip your post to shreds and pick at the fine details as much as i can, so i hope i don't get into an argument here as this is not what i'm trying to do:

you can't generalise with multi FX like that. some are good some are bad, and that depends on whether they are good or bad multi FX units. any halfway-decent multi FX like the boss ME-50 would sound good at any volume if you have an amp which sounds good at any volume. Something i've taught myself is that the quality of the amp makes a huge difference to the quality of sound you'll get out of a pedal.

Also epiphone stock pickups, though nothing special, are fine, and don't need to be replaced, as such. And there are no "rules" to be broken with guitar gear.

Oh and he has an SG, not a les paul
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
im under the impression that it's the "special" series that run 150$, you can not tell me there good pickups at all.
I'd say my budget is around £200, i'm not going to be gigging or anything it's just going to be for jamming/home use.
If it's at home use then it wouldn't be necessary to turn it up loud, and the MG should sound fine for now. Just save up money for new gear. If you have a good ear for tone chances are you will never be 100% satisfied unless you had infinite cash, but with the money you have I'd suggest saving more and more, look for a nice used guitar that goes for 500-600 used (High end Eips, ESP, Ibanez, Fender, whatever floats you're boat) and a nice used small tube combo. Don't go buy another SS
Definitely a new amp.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
if you want better tone get an new tube amp and a new pickups
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
try getting a small tube amp, such as a Peavey Royal 8. Your amp can really make or break your sound.

if you get new pickups, get some nice ones, such as the 490R and 498T that come in the gibson sg standard.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote by pacoasterrider
im under the impression that it's the "special" series that run 150$, you can not tell me there good pickups at all.

where did i say they were good? i just said they do the job well enough if you have a good amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
New amp, definately. I didn't read the first page, but I'm sure everyone said so.
I don't think MGs are as bad as people make them up to be, but you could get better.
How much would you be willing to spend?
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Psycho Pigeon
I know my amp isn't the best but it was cheapish and can go pretty loud

I guess you haven't heard an Engl 100w on 2 - it is louder than that thing on 200%

I exaggerate - but seriously, i can shout louder than that amp......
Quote by Blompcube
where did i say they were good? i just said they do the job well enough if you have a good amp.

I do understand what you mean, but I just had the misfortiune of trying one of those through one of the Crate V-Tube series, and they sounded so sloopy. I swear they just ripped a magnet off the refrigerator and put it in the pups haha.

But if this guy really hates his tone, i'd first look for a new amp, then a new guitar, then consider ditching the multi-fx. In that order. You can still find people buying MG's on Craigslist all the time.