hey, i just wanted to know what's the real difference between the standard MIM fender strat and some of the higher end MIM strats...

i know that with the 50s/60s reissue models and players deluxe models, there are difference in hardwares as well,

but as far as i know, those roadhouse models and lonestar models have the same hardware as the standard strats and the only difference is in the pickups.

is this right? cause if it is, wouldn't it just be more affordable to buy a standard mim strat and just swap out the pickups?
mexican strats suck compared to others. A Lite ash strat is $600 and is made in Korea. Korean guitars are really solid, most schecters are Korean.
I've been looking at those myself with some of the same thoughts. there are some different pickups in stuff like the roadhouse and deluxe players already. I believe a neck radius is involved also. I'm trying to hold out for an MIJ but they are few and far in between. My strat will be a Gilmour project guitar so what ever pickups are in them are meaningless to me.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I think the mexi-casters are a more "hit or miss" type thing. I'm very lucky to have gotten a pretty decent standard model, but I plan on getting a better guitar such as an American made Highway 1 as soon as i get some money.

Any differences will be mentioned (should be mentioned) in the specs for that guitar on the website or catalog. There might be a difference in wood for the body and the quality of the hardware for tuners and bridges, and different pickups; those are all I can think of for now.
Last edited by strat335 at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by SRVNumberOne
mexican strats suck compared to others. A Lite ash strat is $600 and is made in Korea. Korean guitars are really solid, most schecters are Korean.

i agree that korean made guitars are some of the most under appreciated ones out there
but apparently, you don't have a whole lot of experiences with MIM strats
the quality control of the new ones these days is pretty dissapointing (although a lot of them are still good... it's easier to find a bad one these days)
but the late 90's and 2000-04 ish ones are really good