Page 1 of 2
I don't have one, but I played one at GC yesterday and man, that thing is killer. If I had the money and didn't need to get a new acoustic, I would buy one and A/B it w/ my crate palomino.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
That's it. I'm going to GC nao.
*grabs keys*
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I dont know the thing is very overpriced for what it does, its real crap if you ask me for the money.

Real let down, Black hearts are way better, the whole tube mix thing is a gimmick, and im pretty sure the 1 to 20 watt thing is a gimmick it gives you a bit more juice, but a regular master volume is more effective that it.

For 600 dollars its a waste of money, it dosent sound amazing its a really mediocre amp, i thought valvekings were a bad value for the money until i played this thing.
You cant get many tones out of the thing, and i tried trough Epis and Gibys and fenders, and no results.

When i first played i tought it was the shit, all the gizmos and this and that, with the tight and bright switch, but i played it another time and i realized its just bells and whistles, and no charecter.

Must have played it about 2 hours or so and then i just quit and got on a Vox ac15, and was really happy.
Then i played on a crate V and was blown away at how much better it was than that 600 POS, and after words the BH sealed the deal and i figured that the Egnater was real shit.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by THEKID546
Real let down, Black hearts are way better, the whole tube mix thing is a gimmick, and im pretty sure the 1 to 20 watt thing is a gimmick it gives you a bit more juice, but a regular master volume is more effective that it.

Sorry, but mixing of tubes it not a gimmick. The power tubes can change tone quite drastically, making the amp very versatile.

And the 1 to 20W certainly isn't a gimmick either. 20W tube is LOUD, whether you want to believe it or not. Being able to turn the amp down to much lower wattage allows easy cranking of the amp, which is not the same thing as a master volume.

I haven't played it yet, so I can't comment on how it sounds, but I know quite a few people, who I trust for knowing good tone, who enjoy the amp. For $600, it has A LOT more going for it than similar priced amps as long as you can deal with a one-channel amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^thats what im saying its the 1-20 watts thing dosent work like that, it just add more defination to it, they should have called it the definition knob or something. Its not let me repeat, NOT an Attenuator.

And no the tube MIX dosent drasticly change your sound either, i think an EQ pedal would change your sound more.

On paper its the best amp in the world, but in reality its mediocre, waste of money, an there are better amps for cheaper.

The only thing that was good about the amp was the tight and bright switch.

Hell the master volume on an AC15 is more of a 1-15 watts controller than the one on the Egnater.

Go try it out and see what i mean, and then ill give it another shot if you think its worth it, but to me right now at the momment its an overpriced toy.
Quote by THEKID546
^thats what im saying its the 1-20 watts thing dosent work like that, it just add more defination to it, they should have called it the definition knob or something. Its not let me repeat, NOT and Attenuator.

And no the tube MIX dosent drasticly change your sound either, i think an EQ pedal would change your sound more.

On paper its the best amp in the world, but in reality its mediocre, waste of money, and there better amps for cheaper.

Clearly sir, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

If you change the tubes for example, in a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier from 6L6's to EL34's you change the tone quite drastically. In fact, most people argue they sound BETTER with EL34's.......

How does the 1-20W NOT work as an attenuator? It cuts the wattage to litereally 1/20th of the wattage, allowing you to crank the amp and get fully saturated tone from it.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
^no it dosent, you dont know what the hell your talking about, reffering to the tube mix and the attenuator. As i said the Master Volume on a Vox Ac15 is more of an atteuonater than, what Egnater is trying to sell as a bonified atteunater.
You can hardly tell any diffrence when you use the tone MIX thinga majiger.
there is a diffrence but not a huge "oh im playing a fender champ sound now, let me play a vox ac15 type of sound by using the tube mix". ITS NOT LIKE THAT.

and the mesa is a high end amp, this is just some cheap overseas amplifier selling for 600 dollars.

Try it next to a black heart and go ahead tell me what you think, go ahead try it.
Youll see the egnater falls short, for double the money.

like i said on paper its the best amp in the world, but in reality its really hollow amp.

And dont try to school me on something you sir have clearly not even played cause if you have, you wouldnt be telling me this, "you dont know what your talking about" crap.

Anyone who buys one and thinks it does
^^

Last time I checked.... Egnater was not crap, no matter what they made....

If you honestly want to go into this, then do some research and we'll talk. Look at the specs etc and actually try maybe mixing the tubes and switching and see what I'm talking about....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
ok, it may be made overseas, but bruce egnater knows his stuff. it's his design, just not built by him directly. and mixing tubes does produce different tones, it's not even hard to tell a difference between two of the same type of tube made by different companies, let alone completely different types of tubes. and no, the 1-20W thing doesn't work like an attenuator, it cuts the watts produced, it doesn't give the amp a dummy load of sorts

edit: and an ac15 fully cranked produces more than 15 watts. the amp is rated for clean power, and when it breaks up, it's producing more than 15 watts
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Actually, I've heard that the tubes knob makes little difference, which goes to show, tubes are NOT the major factor in tone.
^^^DUDE, please, dont tell me i dont know WTF im talking about, I played trough the thing for two hours with diffrent guitars, Gyby studios, Gyby standards, low end fenders, american strats.
So please dont tell me I dont know WTF im talking about, you think i didnt use the tube MIX you prick, or the 1-20watt thing amajiger, or use the bright and tight switch, what makes you think i played the damn thing to begin with anyways.

^and no tubes do play a major thing in tone if what your selling is not a gimmick, if it did what it actually was supposed to it be cool but it dosent.

like I said its not like a fender champ type of sound one second, and then a vox ac15 or marshall 18 watter type of sound the other. it dosent sound like anything.

^^^and to this dude i could say the same thing about the Marshalls and call you a totall idiot for saying marshall MG's are shit. And say marshall dosent make anything thats crap because it simply says marshall in the name, your a Frieken idiot.
someone has anger problems...but i have to agree the tone is not THAT great...but the 1-20 watts does allow you to crank the shit out of the amp and get power tube saturation at low volumes, i dont see how that can be a gimmick....or you can go full blast on a gig or something
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Last edited by Otsugua713 at Nov 5, 2008,
^ok cool then next time you go put it on 3 watts and putt the master volume all the **** up and tell me if it sounds like 3 watts.

the BH when you cut it to 3 watts sounds cranked but its not blowing your ears off like the egnater.
I might not be a technical guy like the other guy or know as much but I know my ears, and my ears tell me its not worth 600 dollars, or 400 for that matter.
Actually my ears tell me a cheaper BH or crate v-18 is better, not just because its cheaper, but there just plain better.
Quote by THEKID546
^ok cool then next time you go put it on 3 watts and putt the master volume all the **** up and tell me if it sounds like 3 watts.

the BH when you cut it to 3 watts sounds cranked but its not blowing your ears off like the egnater.

Watts =/= Volume.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by THEKID546

I might not be a technical guy like the other guy or know as much but I know my ears, and my ears tell me its not worth 600 dollars, or 400 for that matter.
Actually my ears tell me a cheaper BH or crate v-18 is better, not just because its cheaper, but there just plain better.

when you crank any amp, its going to be louder than the wattage it is rated for. that has been stated before.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
well isnt the point of the whole variable watt thing to sound crancked at lower volumes, the thing dosent necesarily do that like the BH does.

IT just, I dont know how to explain it, ah i think im looking for, it gives it less balls when the wattage thing is lower at essentially close to the same volume if it was all the way up at 20, is that how its supposed to work guys cause if it is supposed to work like that then I take back the statements i made earlier.
Thats what i meant to say, if it makes any sense.

I think it affects the preamp more than the power amp, if thats what they where going for then they did a good job, but I dont like it.

what does everyone else think whose tried it, or hasnt tried it.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 6, 2008,
I recommended this in a thread a while ago because it LOOKED good (big mistake) and got taken down a peg by a couple of people who said exactly what THEKID546 is saying.

EDIT: Lol, one of them was you^. The other one was Kevin Saale.
^im glad to hear that, then i know its not just me, i know most of my statements arent taken valid on this forum cause I AM RASH sometimes, and im an IDIOT, but hey thats me.

EDIT:And yah even i recommended it to some TS after my first try, but then i revisited it and now i feel embarresed that i did, so dont feel all that bad, join the club.

Now reading back on old threads, KEV was right, he saw trough the amp for what it was before anyone else and didnt fall for the gimmicks and flash like i did.

Alot of the things he said are true now that i read them, like the amp having no crunch at all, and how essentially in a summarry theres no reall "ahhh thats a bliss sweetspot right there" kind of a thing, the amp never made me say wow after the second time i tried it, cause i realized all the bells a whistles where just a something to make people say "that looks so cool".

And for this reason i suspect egnator will sell a load of these, all the bells and whistles. What a shame, and a sham.

And also how cheaper amps are better and are easier to dial in , +100 to KEV for not being a fool like the rest of us.

I dont think it was the cab cause why would a apparently shitty crate V18 speaker pull the job of, and not the egnater one, its all the amp, I think im a bit Rash for saying this but i got to say, this amp is like the MG's of valve amps.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 6, 2008,
^no i think id actually buy an MG before id buy one of those.
Because the egnater dosent represent for me the reasons people should be buying valve amps, it just dosent have "IT".
especially for 600 dollars, or even 400 bucks its still a horrid deal, unless theres cheap ways to mod it.
Quote by THEKID546
^no i think id actually buy an MG before id buy one of those.
Because the egnater dosent represent for me the reasons people should be buying valve amps, it just dosent have "IT".
especially for 600 dollars, or even 400 bucks its still a horrid deal, unless theres cheap ways to mod it.

Maybe TS isn't looking for the "IT" you are referring to? Maybe TS is looking the "IT" TS wants?

Anyway, I have heard some good things about the new Egnater mass-produced line, but I've heard they are a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none kinda amp... The variable wattage knob is not a gimmick, it DOES work...
^im glad to hear that, then i know its not just me, i know most of my statements arent taken valid on this forum cause I AM RASH sometimes, and im an IDIOT, but hey thats me.

Hey 'Kid, all I will say is that I have played (for about an hour and a half) on the Tourmaster and thought it to be awesome so I was really interested in the Rebel. I read through the specs and thought it was going to be a great buy, brilliant for practice, small gigs and recording/studio. Now, I have not played it but you have. For that reason alone, I am going to rely on your advice, as those countering you have not. I will say however that I will reserve judgement until I ACTUALLY PLAY IT MYSELF. But props to you for taking the time and posting your opinion based on your experience. That and from your past posts you have made coherent arguments and given good advice.

And just for the record I trust only a handful of UGers (I'm sure you and I and any regular poster/lurker knows who I am referring to!) on here, the rest are bandwagon jockeys or are not wise enough to understand that others may have just a valid reason to disagree.

As Voltaire said: "I disagree with what you say. But, I would die fighting to preserve your right to say it!"
Quote by mcrfobtai
Actually, I've heard that the tubes knob makes little difference, which goes to show, tubes are NOT the major factor in tone.
Disagree.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by THEKID546
^thats what im saying its the 1-20 watts thing dosent work like that, it just add more defination to it, they should have called it the definition knob or something. Its not let me repeat, NOT an Attenuator.

On paper its the best amp in the world, but in reality its mediocre, waste of money, an there are better amps for cheaper.

The only thing that was good about the amp was the tight and bright switch.

Hell the master volume on an AC15 is more of a 1-15 watts controller than the one on the Egnater.

Go try it out and see what i mean, and then ill give it another shot if you think its worth it, but to me right now at the momment its an overpriced toy.

Before you bash an amp on the basis of something related to power tubes and wattage, for gods sake know what the **** you are talking about.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by dudey5691
Maybe TS isn't looking for the "IT" you are referring to? Maybe TS is looking the "IT" TS wants?

Anyway, I have heard some good things about the new Egnater mass-produced line, but I've heard they are a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none kinda amp... The variable wattage knob is not a gimmick, it DOES work...

So true, its diffrent for everyone, like i say if everyone agreed there would only be one amp on the floor and one guitar on the wall.

I probly overreacted and said it was a load of shit i must admit, but ill give it another shot again when i go in, its not thats its all that bad i guese, i just expected something amazing and everyone was building it up as this all mighty kind of thing.

And when i actually played the thing i was like "hhhmmmm" "meh" it was like watching Spider Man 3, the hype was bigger than the what it actually was, and that pisses me off. And then i go on a rant.

It wasnt that bad but like whatever, might as well buy something better for the same money like a used ampeg reverbararocket, or a C30, or Delta blues, or a blackheart.

And i didnt mean an MG was better i just meant the MG is cheap and it sounds cheap you get what you pay for.
An egnater is 600$ and its "meh" and i dont bealive you get your moneys worth, very raunchy sound.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 7, 2008,
Don't apologize dude, it appears as if you're the only one that played it in this thread, and you were only saying your opinion of it. Opinions aren't wrong, you weren't impressed, the features were lackluster. Thanks for letting us know.

As a sidenote, went on guitarcenter.com today to send gear links to my parents for christmas ideas, and they sell soldano now? When did that happen?
I've played it. It was a decent amp, though a bit pricey, for what it offers. I'd rather buy it than an AC15, since it still offers more, and can be cranked easier.

The wattage control...The Rebel is still fairly loud at the 1 watt setting. You can hear how sponge-y and smooth the overdrive gets at the 1 watt setting, though, since you're working the power tube section hard. Nowhere does it say it's attenuator - and I prefer the wattage control to attenuator, anyway. With an attenuator, you lose a lot of the top end response and dynamics of your playing - not with this wattage control. The fundamental character of the amp's tone is preserved.

As for the tube mix, it makes a difference - I can definitely hear it. The problem? 6V6's and EL84's are both aggressive tubes with a semi-harsh top end break up. The 6V6's are a bit smoother, as far as the top end goes, but they're similar tubes, tonally. So it's hard to pick up the subtle differences. I only played with it for about 10 minutes, but I could hear it.

KID546, I have such trouble reading your posts. I advise that you take some English lessons FAST. If you really want to be taken more seriously on these forums, as many of your posts would suggest, decent spelling skills will go a long way.
^Plus one on the tube analysis.
I liked the EL84 for playing dirty as they seemed like the more agressive side of the amp, but it also sounded quite nice for that slight overdrive, although a bit to raspy for my taste.

I guess its not that bad of an amp but still wouldn't buy it new.

If i did buy one id get it used, and the first thing i would do is get some THD yellow jackets to drasticly change the sound with the change of a knob.

If people load them up with these you'd be able to get two really tonally different sounds, and FIX the problem, then it would truly be a worthwhile.

Or maybe a good tube swap would help alot, who knows.

Now I think i might have short changed this amp for expecting it to be super awesome, if that makes anysense, Ill see what other people have to say after they buy it.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by THEKID546
^Plus one on the tube analysis.
I liked the EL84 for playing dirty as they seemed like the more agressive side of the amp, but it also sounded quite nice for that slight overdrive, although a bit to raspy for my taste.

I guess its not that bad of an amp but still wouldn't buy it new.

If i did buy one id get it used, and the first thing i would do is get some THD yellow jackets to drasticly change the sound with the change of a knob.

If people load them up with these you'd be able to get two really tonally different sounds, and FIX the problem, then it would truly be a worthwhile.

Or maybe a good tube swap would help alot, who knows.

Now I think i might have short changed this amp for expecting it to be super awesome, if that makes anysense, Ill see what other people have to say after they buy it.

thd yellow jackets are converting an amp that uses an el34/6l6 setup to be run with el84's. the amp, in turn changes its character into more of an el84 based amp. that's just a waste if you wanted to replace el84's with... el84's. and the yellow jackets wouldn't fit into the sockets.

they would fit into the 6v6 sockets, but again, there's already el84's in the amp.

anyway, i heard a sample of the amp on youtube, and definitely did hear the difference with all the bells and whistles on the amp. so it varies from person to person, especially if you know what character changes to look for.

i dunno if it's worth $600, because i haven't heard it in person yet.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Nov 9, 2008,
^sorry very stupid of me then to say that, thanks for voiding what I said.
But i tought there were dirrent variants of the Yellow Jacket, or that they could accomadate more than just 6v6 and El84.
no problem. and as far as i know, all yellow jackets use el84's to replace octal socket tubes (el34, 6v6, 6l6, 5881, etc).
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

they should have really went all out and used KT66 but i bealive that would have screwed up the wattagge in the power section if im correct.

Hell or maybe the yellow jackets would help in giving it a more i solid sound, making it sound more genuine BF or fender, or the other way around making it sound more Brithish.

YOu know what i mean, use diffrent tube brands but of the same tube varient, to go from chimmey british to agreesive british with with two diffrent sets of EL's, and vice versa, sparkly Fender, to a more bassy fender clean, with two diffrent sets of 6V^.
I dont know if it would work, but its worth a try.

But then again it would be like going backawards with this amp now that read my comments again.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 9, 2008,
uh yeah, you could really just put in higher quality tubes in the amp and see what happens.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Page 1 of 2