Im well on my way to finally building my first electric guitar, Ive read some books about it a few times, I've almost finalised designs, and I'm starting to order parts.

My one last problem is that I want to do a bolt on, but feel that the joint is probably going to be too big (the common problem) so I would like to do a smaller sort of heel, but I'm worried about the strength of it. Is there anything I can do to improve the strength of the joint, but still keep it small?

Ive been thinking about doing like a double cut sort of thing - it would mean the neck was firmly recessed into the body, but would mean really bad access.

I've also considered trying to extend the neck so that it sits further into the body, but have been told that the extra glued joint would hurt the sustain, and not give the strength required.

Does anyone have any ideas?
well I'm making the guitar to only have a single pickup, and that will be in the bridge - so I dont need to worry about breaking into the pup cavity.

Thats what I was thinking with the bit where I was talking about extending the neck a bit, I'm not convinced as to how strong it will be though, since i'm essentially just gluin the extra bit to an already existing neck.

Its an idea im gonna work with tho
You could sand down the neck joint (where the bolt's will go) towards the neck, so it curves down and gradaully gets thinner towards the neck, then drill wells to put the bolts in with sleepers or what ever there called to secure the neck.

i can get some images from google if you want?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
yea i really like the first one too, it'd give access right up until the 22/ 24 fret's. do you have any drawings of your body for the guitar or are you just going to use plans from a strat or something like that?

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
sorry - i was watching a film - cheers for your help so far

the body is going to be essentially a strat shape - the only real difference will be no trem. I do want decent access to the upper frets tho - which is why you've been most helpful.

Ive been trying to get this build going forever and a day, but now i'm pretty much there. so, if you keep checking then soon mine should be up - i'm trying to order some sapele for the body from lp addict.