Idk if there's already been a topic about this, but it would seem that a few websites dedicated to helping Rick Astley win the "Best Act Ever" category have been shut down, including one that has cast over 500,000,000 votes. If Rick doesn't win because MTV is appealing to the stupidity of the people complaining that some of us are smart enough to make macros and use them to vote endlessly, which is allowed in the rules, it would show the contest is completely rigged in favour of the general public, and I would have lost faith in all mainstream media. I mean, in comparison, I think the second place contender has only a few million votes, and because we've almost reached the 1 billion vote mark through our dedication and knowledge, they want to disqualify any of them that were made with programs. No. Not cool. I myself have cast about 100,000 votes through iMacros, and will continue to do so proudly. Anyway, thoughts of The Pit?

BTW, if there has already been a topic, tell me, give me a link, and I'll shut down the thread.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Oct 18, 2008,
It's never shown in the rules that you can rig a contest, using macros would be that. Give up on Rick Astley though, rick rolling is as old as the internet.
Quote by lzcougarz3
You haven't lost faith in MTV yet?
Well it had been renewed when I saw that because of UG, he had gotten in the top 5 most nominated, but if they disqualify him, any respect and hope for MTV and mainstream media in general will deplete to less than nothing.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Its gonna be funny when MTV tries to explain why they arent letting rick get the award.

I think i voted like...8 times

dude most of us voted hundreds, if not thousands of times
Quote by brandon369852
Wait, what did they do?
there was a few websites that people could run so that it would continually vote for rick. However, it let rick surpass all the other nominees by hundreds of millions of votes, so they discredited all votes from such sites. Which technically, they shouldn't be able to do, because you're allowed to vote as many times as you want.
Quote by Pat_s1t
there was a few websites that people could run so that it would continually vote for rick. However, it let rick surpass all the other nominees by hundreds of millions of votes, so they discredited all votes from such sites. Which technically, they shouldn't be able to do, because you're allowed to vote as many times as you want.

Using macros is a completely different story, especially the fact that they took a complete noob approach at it, god damn.
I voted like 1000 times for Rick with iMacros and I would be dissappointed if Rick didn't win because no-one else nominated deserves the award.

Next year if they allow people to add a nomination, I say we nominate I Cum Blood for Best Song.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Quote by shaquille
Using macros is a completely different story, especially the fact that they took a complete noob approach at it, god damn.
Yes I know, because a macro you set up on your pc such as iMacros for Firefox just repeats the voting process over and over, just as a human would. But these websites do the same thing don't they? So just because they're traceable, they can be shut down? That doesn't seem right...
also, what did you mean by the bold text
Quote by Pat_s1t
Yes I know, because a macro you set up on your pc such as iMacros for Firefox just repeats the voting process over and over, just as a human would. But these websites do the same thing don't they? So just because they're traceable, they can be shut down? That doesn't seem right...
also, what did you mean by the bold text

The number of votes he had them beat by is the noob approach. It's cheating, this type of thing has been done for years and never worked. Paris Hilton's best friend, GameFAQ's character contests, and many other polls that have appeared on the internet. No, I do not have any ideas on how to better it.
Quote by Pat_s1t
Idk if there's already been a topic about this, but it would seem that a few websites dedicated to helping Rick Astley win the "Best Act Ever" category have been shut down, including one that has cast over 500,000,000 votes. If Rick doesn't win because MTV is appealing to the stupidity of the people complaining that some of us are smart enough to make macros and use them to vote endlessly, which is allowed in the rules, it would show the contest is completely rigged in favour of the general public, and I would have lost faith in all mainstream media. I mean, in comparison, I think the second place contender has only a few million votes, and because we've almost reached the 1 billion vote mark through our dedication and knowledge, they want to disqualify any of them that were made with programs. No. Not cool. I myself have cast about 100,000 votes through iMacros, and will continue to do so proudly. Anyway, thoughts of The Pit?

BTW, if there has already been a topic, tell me, give me a link, and I'll shut down the thread.

That's sort of the point of allowing the public to vote. Seriously guys, don't sit here and bitch if MTV's not gonna go along with your immature attempt to troll them. That's just pathetic.
Quote by NGD1313
That's sort of the point of allowing the public to vote. Seriously guys, don't sit here and bitch if MTV's not gonna go along with your immature attempt to troll them. That's just pathetic.
That's not what this is about. If Tokio Hotel won through macros, I'd be perfectly fine with it. Same goes for any other nominee. What I'm saying is that MTV is deliberately disqualifying our votes so the more popular people will win, even if they are in reality, hundreds of millions of votes behind us. I would've made the exact same thread if say, Tokio Hotel fans were macroing and MTV shut them down. It's not right...
With the amount of us here on UG and not not to mention the amount of /b/tards using macros, i highly doubt Rick will loose. In fact i bet if everyone who votes for Rick stopped voting, he'd still probably win.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Well, /b/ seems to have got bored of it already...

yeah, i'm sure they put a lot more effort into it that the pit though.
I went to the MTV site to vote for Rick, and when I saw the list of 'Best act ever' I seriously lost faith in humanity for a couple of moments. WTF is Tokio Hotel doing on that list??? It's seriously ****ed up.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by shaquille
It's never shown in the rules that you can rig a contest, using macros would be that. Give up on Rick Astley though, rick rolling is as old as the internet.

seriously. i hate that shit. rick rolling someone is like saying, "HA HA THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR TRUSTING ME YOU STUPID ASSHOLE."
Quote by Arthur Curry
seriously. i hate that shit. rick rolling someone is like saying, "HA HA THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR TRUSTING ME YOU STUPID ASSHOLE."

Yeah all the younger nerd kids are growing up and using the internet and just find out about it recently which means it will probably linger for quite some time, and sadly it will remain relevant on here to all the people who never experienced the true internet outside of the pit.

Nothing from /b/ is funny. Please lurk, become desensitized, and come back here for actual discussion.
Offcourse they do.

There hasn't been money in Rick astley since the late 80's. They rather want a popular artist (more commercial potention) to win so more people watch mtv and they get richer. IF it was a vote by phone (aka they gain money on phonebills) you wouldn't hear em complain.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Dude, 4chan is on the case.

These are people who never leave their computers.

If it's possible, he WILL win, mark my words.