Poll: What should I spend my moneys on?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I spend my moneys on?
New pickups
5 28%
Equalizer pedal
11 61%
Noise suppressor
2 11%
Envelope filter
0 0%
Other? (Please post)
0 0%
Voters: 18.
I recently was given this money from my aunt, and I decided I wish to spend it on something guitar-related. Trouble is, I can't decide on what I want. My gear is as follows:

Peavey VK112 (Don't suggest selling this as my father would object, for one, and I wouldn't be able to break anywhere near even for it, and plus a new amp would cost almost double the US price. Further I actually like my tone... I just want to tweak it ) I've already replaced the speaker, as well.

Epiphone Les Paul Special II (I've been thinking of replacing and rewiring the pickups it currently has for some time now, in addition to several other mods...)

Fender Stratocaster with Direct Mount Pickups (Not sure if I would be able to do much to this guitar - I like its sound already.)

Dunlop Classic Crybaby With Fasel (I think this wah needs more sweep but I'm not willing to get into effects mods at the moment...)

DigiTech Bad Monkey

DigiTech Whammy

BOSS DD-3.

I was thinking I could either spend the money on new pickups for my Epi Spec. II, an envelope filter, equalizer pedal or noise suppressor. What does UG think?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Oct 18, 2008,
go with an eq. easily the most underated peices of equipment. alot of players will go buy new pickups trying to achieve certain sounds when an eq will do the trick plus give you much more versatility as you can reshape your tone as your preferences change.
Eq
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Raijouta
Well, so far most of the posts appear to be unanimous...

I was thinking of getting the MXR M-108 EQ... Would that be a good choice?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151115

Yep, I have that pedal. It's amazing.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
yes the MXR 10 band is a great EQ the Boss GE-7 isn't bad either
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I've heard the Fish and Chips sounds good, but that it'll fall to pieces at a gig... not that I'm currently playing gigs (my rhythm guitarist isn't so hot, bassist's parents want him to focus on studies, etc) but I want something a bit more reliable.

I'll check out some sound clips of both, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Basically the EQ should be everyones first pedal.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Raijouta
I've heard the Fish and Chips sounds good, but that it'll fall to pieces at a gig. I want something a bit more reliable.

I agree. I'm gonna get a Boss GE-7. I brought up the Fish and Chips cause other people had already said the MXR & Boss and I wanted to give you another option. Some people say the MXR is noisey. I've never used one so I don't know.
I'd suggest looking into other guitars rather than replacing the pick-ups or getting an EQ if you don't like the tone coming from your Epiphone. It's can be difficult to make good pick-up decisions because you don't know how it's going to interact with the wood of the guitar until after you've put them in there, but that would probably be preferable to supplementing your amp's built-in EQ with a separate EQ pedal.

Also, try opening up the bottom of your Crybaby. If it's built like the regular GCB95 (not sure about the Fasel version), then the movement of the pedal should rotate a pot inside. If you just rotate the pot with your hands up or down a couple notches, you can change the sweep range of your wah (although it won't widen it, just make it higher or lower depending on where you need the extra headroom).
i was in a similar situation as you recently, and i asked my self WWJD. (What Would Jimi Do?)
well, the answer was clear, UNI-VIBE CLONE. I couldnt be happier with mine.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
I'd suggest looking into other guitars rather than replacing the pick-ups or getting an EQ if you don't like the tone coming from your Epiphone. It's can be difficult to make good pick-up decisions because you don't know how it's going to interact with the wood of the guitar until after you've put them in there, but that would probably be preferable to supplementing your amp's built-in EQ with a separate EQ pedal.

Also, try opening up the bottom of your Crybaby. If it's built like the regular GCB95 (not sure about the Fasel version), then the movement of the pedal should rotate a pot inside. If you just rotate the pot with your hands up or down a couple notches, you can change the sweep range of your wah (although it won't widen it, just make it higher or lower depending on where you need the extra headroom).

I like my tone already, and my Epiphone is the best feeling guitar I've ever used... my Epiphone surpasses my friend's Parker, IMO, although it comes really close. The only problem with my tone is it's too muddy.

As well, I don't want a CHANGE in sweep - I just want more sweep... more variety, if you will, rather than being better in one range.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
I like my tone already, and my Epiphone is the best feeling guitar I've ever used... my Epiphone surpasses my friend's Parker, IMO, although it comes really close. The only problem with my tone is it's too muddy.

As well, I don't want a CHANGE in sweep - I just want more sweep... more variety, if you will, rather than being better in one range.

you're probably going to get flamed with that statement.
i say go for a fish and chips and new bridge pickup. or go with something more sturdy and no pickup. an EQ pedal alone is not going to fix the muddiness of a stock epiphone pickup, they're pretty terrible, imo.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
you're probably going to get flamed with that statement.
i say go for a fish and chips and new bridge pickup. or go with something more sturdy and no pickup. an EQ pedal alone is not going to fix the muddiness of a stock epiphone pickup, they're pretty terrible, imo.

i would hope he doesnt get flamed, last time i checked, what guitar you like the feel of better is personal preference.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Judging from all of the responses I think I'll order the MXR M-108, then...

Also, Horlicks, what do you mean it's overrated? I notice you have the KFK in your sig.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D