Poll: Do you use you pinky when playing powerchords?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you use you pinky when playing powerchords?
Yes
249 71%
No
102 29%
Voters: 351.
Page 1 of 4
Lol... I use my pinky when I play powerchords, and my friends always make fun of me. I'm gradually getting out of the habit though.

But I just realized after watching a video that Matt Heafy does it too and was just wondering how many actually do.
If i play power chords with the D string I'm using my pinky on the D string and my ring finger on the A and index on the root note.

I dont really see whats wrong with using the pinky if you're used to playing it that way tho. I find it alot harder than playing it the way I'm used to.
Wait...How else would you do it?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
if you're playing the full power chord i.e. the 1st(root), the fifth and the octave then the pinky is necessery, tell your friends to stfu! lol
Last edited by Joe4/4/1992 at Oct 18, 2008,
I've always done that. I find it easier, and helpful for when I want to hit a note before I switch to another chord
yeah use the pinky, its generally considered better form than stretching your other fingers
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I Use my Index for the root note and my pinky across both the A and D strings, I don't use my ring on A and pinky on D at the same time like "normal".

If I'm playing power chords higher on the neck, about 8th or 9th fret or higher I'll use just my ring across both strings
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
i always use my pinky, i even think that's better than not using your pinky, cause when you use your pinky you just use the 3 lowest notes of a chord (or however to explain that :P ).

so i think it's better to use your pinky, so you it's a easy switch to a 'normal' chord
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
if you're playing the full power chord i.e. the 1st, the fifth and the octave then the pinkly is necessery, tell your friends to stfu! lol

i dont care how people play, its all good, but you surely know you can barre your third finger for both strings...
Well tell your friends they're the retards because most professional guitarists do it (although technically there's no right or wrong way).
almost always, it feels easier to me. though i would like to be equally good at both, because when im playing a song with chords, i sometimes need to reposition my fingers and use my ring finger as well.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by wooftang999
i dont care how people play, its all good, but you surely know you can barre your third finger for both strings...

yeah i know i was just using that as an example
generally when i play i barre my pinky across the strings although it does depend on the song and whatevers easiest/most comfortable
Yeah usualy alot of people do,sounds better to me.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Horlicks
I do it. If anything using your pinky is harder.

+1, your friends are retards. i had to practice a lot before i could do them with my pinky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Midnight Murk
I always add the octave, so I do use the pinky. I don't know why you wouldn't add the octave.

It's unnecessary with higher gain. It will even sound tighter, more focused and therefore punchier with really high gain if you only use two strings. It is also a hassle to add the octave when you slide the powerchord shape up and down the neck. Listen and try to play 'Stricken' by Disturbed (the main riff) in C Standard an you'll see what I mean.
Also, barring two strings with either the pinky or ring finger seems easier than using both.
I use my index and pinky only and I don't use an octave in my power-chords because I don't feel it's necessary, well, sometimes I may do it, but it's not often.

*edit: I don't think it will limit your playing, so you can probably continue with it, I have learned all ways possible just because I tried to find out what I liked best: I came back to the way I started.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Oct 18, 2008,
if you mean playing power chords with 3 strings, that kind of stuff sounds gay. like literally gay if you play metal or heavy stuff. if you mean using pinky instaed of ring finger, uh.. that's a lot harder for me.. if you use your ring finger, it would be easier to transition from power chords to lead stuff no?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I always use my pinky...I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

And I almost always add the octave. Sometimes I'll just leave out the 5th all together. Sliding up and down using the octaves sounds cool.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
yeah, hate the sound of just a 2 string power chord, using the pinky also makes it easier to barre after
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I do it. That's just the way that felt natural to me.

I frequently use my pinky even without the octave - index or middle on root, pinky on fifth.
You're friends are dumbasses.

The pinky (octave) will just make the powerchord sound fuller and better, so dont get out of that habit. Tell you're friends theyre retards for not using the pinky.

Be able to get good at both, because lots of time you'll need that octave on there.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
If you don't play the octave it's not a chord. Chords are three or more notes, not two.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by ItalysFinest429
But I just realized after watching a video that Matt Heafy does it too

When i saw him do it, that's when i thought it was good technique.
But now im not so sure it is
Yeah, but so does Kirk Hammett, so who cares :P
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Sounds better with the octave, using your middle finger as a replacement is a bad habit, using your pinky is NOT difficult for a powerchord position. You want to be the equivalent of a kid playing the piano with his index fingers be my guest.
My hands are rather large so i use my index and middle finger.
My pinky relaxed is 4 or 5 frets away from my index.

EDIT: For the octave i usually Barre my middle finger.
For me it makes it easyer to transfer into triads and legato by the means you have a finger (Pinky) open to the next fret or 2.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Oct 18, 2008,
index - root
ring finger - fifth
pinky - octave

I used just use my index and ring finger, but have discovered that I find it easier to switch to playing lead stuff if i use my pinky on the octave...
I don't think any way would really hamper your ability, just whatever is comfortable and easiest I think is best...
Quote by l3p4rd
If you don't play the octave it's not a chord. Chords are three or more notes, not two.

Yep, three different notes, that is. Doubling one note by adding the octave still leaves you with only two different notes. Technically, power chords are never chords. The power chord is only used by guitarists anyway and the word has no meaning for anyone besides us axe slingers. Everywhere else people just speak of the root and fifth.
nah, i use my first and third, just because that was what felt most natural. My guitar teacher used first and forth though, and he taught me when i was starting out so i wasn't told to use third and first, it just felt natural.

Then again, i supose there is an advantage for first and third, it's easier to add an extra octive and do the dave mustaine style spider chord
Page 1 of 4