How do you exactly learn scales? I know all the postilion of some scales but is that the way to go? I hear people say learn the notes of the scale but I don't exactly get what they mean because there are so many keys.
A scale isn't a position, it's a set of notes. A guitar has more than 1 string so you can play the same scale in many different positions. Learn how key signatures work so that you can construct any scale you wish. Then apply that to your knowledge of the fretboard (learn more of that if you don't know the fretboard that well).

This should help: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
Last edited by pwrmax at Oct 18, 2008,
Learning scales has to do with knowing the notes of that scale in a particular key and then know how to apply them on the guitar, in order for you to make music with them.

So you should learn the notes on the fretboard, that way you know where are the notes of the scale in the key you want. The patterns are the distribution of those notes throughout the fretboard. Learning them won't help you using the scale, it'll only help you knowing where the notes of the scale are. And yes, using a scale is not just playing its notes just because.

You can use the patterns for exploring the intervals of the scale or create some licks, etc. BUT you should use your patterns wisely, otherwise they'll make you lazy about the theory behind what you're playing that moment, in my opinion.
How do you exactly learn scales? i learn/teach pieces 1st , and then learn the relative scale/s.
1st aurally then visually and finally kinestically
I learn the all the intervals in the scale (not just root to degree), then I go about memorizing all the notes, then I go through all the chords, then I write with them.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
learn chord construction, learn how chords are made by using intervals. i learned it by looking up "intervals" in wikipedia and youtube