Hey, I have played electric guitar going on three years now. I am not the best but I do jam with friends. I have practicly no Lead experience, and my improv skills are laughable. This has inspired me to start learning some classical music, maybe fingerstyle, maybe not.

My question is, where is a good place for me to start as a complete newbie to classical music?

I am decent with my electric, but I have always been a rhythm player and don't have the practice in lead guitar like I want to get, And I think the theory and style of classical guitar will deffinately help me broaden my horizons of guitar and improve me as a player.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start to learning about classical music? What should I learn and practice? What are some easier classical songs?

I really appreciate this.
Quote by Leybick

you're going to try and tell me girls don't piss out of their asses?

Gear:
Agile AL-3100 Gold-top Les Paul
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
Leyendo Asturias. =P
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I was in almost the same boat as you... the best thing to do is start off classical by getting the technique down. I recommend Aaron Shearer's book Classical Guitar Technique: Volume 1. Although, theory is just as important... I have found that the Idiot's Guide to Music Theory is a great book to start with. Hope that helps.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Quote by Deluster
Hey, I have played electric guitar going on three years now. I am not the best but I do jam with friends. I have practicly no Lead experience, and my improv skills are laughable. This has inspired me to start learning some classical music, maybe fingerstyle, maybe not.

My question is, where is a good place for me to start as a complete newbie to classical music?

I am decent with my electric, but I have always been a rhythm player and don't have the practice in lead guitar like I want to get, And I think the theory and style of classical guitar will deffinately help me broaden my horizons of guitar and improve me as a player.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start to learning about classical music? What should I learn and practice? What are some easier classical songs?

I really appreciate this.

i read lead as lead. as in the metal. lead. commonly confused with graphite in pencils.
i would have thought that classical would be the last place to go to for a bit of improvising skill. blues is more of an improv genre.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to do classical then your probably best with something like the romantics - thats a good beginner song. But to do it your probably going to have to start fingerpicking. If you try and learn neo-classical tho, that is more pick oriented.

I'll be honest tho - if you want to learn how to improvise then the way to do it is to simply do so . . . start playing along with a song. Start playing notes until you find a few that sound right in the song. Once you've done that you can start to expand.

I'd look up some lessons on youtube by a guy called justin sandercoe. He's both a great guitarist and teacher, and he explains this sort of stuff in a lot of depth.
ignore froboarder on learning leyenda astorias. that song is at a very advanced level nd i can only play the 20 secs of it nd ive been playing classical for about 3 yrs now. but start out with a book man. thats the best thing u can do. use ur fingers instead of a pick. if u dnt use ur fingers than its not classical.
Quote by Froboarder
Leyendo Asturias. =P

Well, that's where I started, actually.
To OP: Can you read music?
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by NorfIrIon
Well, that's where I started, actually.
To OP: Can you read music?

/sarasm?
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
/sarasm?

Nope. It's not that hard for me, I guess I'm just kind of good at guitar.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

I can read tabs, not notation.

I meant to build my fingers and knowledge of the fretboard will help me with improvising, Not improvising on classical pieces.

Thanks for the name of the guys vids. I will check them out.
Quote by Leybick

you're going to try and tell me girls don't piss out of their asses?

Gear:
Agile AL-3100 Gold-top Les Paul
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
Quote by Deluster
I can read tabs, not notation.

I meant to build my fingers and knowledge of the fretboard will help me with improvising, Not improvising on classical pieces.

Thanks for the name of the guys vids. I will check them out.

Well, learning to read standard notation will help alot with learning classical pieces, if that's what you plan on doing. I guess you can get around it, but it helps.

Solo Guitar Playing I - Frederick M. Noad

Basically a total classical guitar course for a complete beginner. It's highly recommended by my guitar teacher.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by CobenBlack
i would have thought that classical would be the last place to go to for a bit of improvising skill. blues is more of an improv genre.

I'd personally learn blues instead if I were you, but classical is also very fun to play so I don't know.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.