Page 1 of 2
[whine]

Two days ago I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and I kinda regret it now. It's heavy as hell for me, the neck is too fat and it's uncomfortable to play it in sit unless you want it to dig into your ribs. It cost me about $535, and it was my parents' money (I'm 16 and got no job).

I dunno what should I do. I've wanted this guitar even before I started playing (4 months ago) and now it seems like a waste. Among the stuff I liked about it are the looks and the sound. I intended to play Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, etc. But it doesn't worth is so much considering that I don't even have a pedal. Annoying thing is that I had tried it a couple of times before I bought it and it felt just fine.

I wonder if I can return it back to the store since it was originally a showcase guitar (they didn't have others in stock and this one was very new) and take a Mexican Strat instead.

[/whine]
What are you? A girl? Ten pounds is hardly any weight to hold in both of your hands, your lap, or around your neck..
Most large music stores like Guitar center have a 30-day return policy, no questions asked. Try it, worst thing that they can do is say no.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Did you think about playing it first before you bought it?? Guess not.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Warheart1188

Yeah

You should have tried it kid..

Quote by Psalm 150:4
Most large music stores like Guitar center have a 30-day return policy, no questions asked. Try it, worst thing that they can do is say no.

This is probably the best option
Another thing: Why would you spend so much money on a guitar when you've only been playing for four months? The most I've spent on a guitar is $419.99, and it does me good.
i hate when people just started playing and they have a better guitar than me
Quote by sbinlb
i hate when people just started playing and they have a better guitar than me

Because their guitar gives them a magic power that makes them play really well?
Quote by Warheart1188

I have.

Thanks to whoever replied on-topic, I'll see what I do.
sell it, take the 100 dollar hit and get something else.

wuss.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I don't know about your country, but where I live you can give back something you bought within two weeks without having to give any reason (except for food and other perishable stuff) as long as it's in the condition you bought it. Most stores even offer a better return policy where you can give anything back within a month or so. I guess you should gather some information on that.
I'm sure you'll have no problem giving it back after a couple of days.
Sorry to hear that. That sucks. I hate it when I spend lots of cash on something that I had my heart set on and its not what I expected. I'm nearly sure that you are able to get your money back within 30 days. Give it a try. A fat strat might suit you well.
Why not get a Strat instead, LPs can be very uncomfortable for some people. I actually prefer the feel of a Les Paul to a lot of other guitars, but I prefer the sound of a Strat...

You should have tried out a few other guitars instead, but you can change it, so don't fret about it.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Why not get a Strat instead, LPs can be very uncomfortable for some people. I actually prefer the feel of a Les Paul to a lot of other guitars, but I prefer the sound of a Strat...

You should have tried out a few other guitars instead, but you can change it, so don't fret about it.

Oh well.

Because he wants a GNR/Aerosmith sound. Unless you mean an HSS strat.
Quote by werty22
Because he wants a GNR/Aerosmith sound. Unless you mean an HSS strat.

Or a HSH modded one. You can get an Aerosmith sorta sound anyways, Joe Perry doesn't use that much gain, so you just turn the treble down and boost the mids and bass.

GN'R, maybe not so, but a HSS can get the bridge tone (ish) and a HSH could get the neck tones.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Just get a SG. Sort of a decent inbetween. I think if you return the LP you can get a G400 and probably a pedal. Given the price at least.

Might as well give it a shot.
Quote by Psalm 150:4

And that would be pretty bad in this situation for them to say no...

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by duncanxdonuts

did anyone notice this?

I found this hilarious
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
So we have two bands that use primarily Les Pauls......you go buy a Les Paul because you want to play their songs....and then you complain about the guitar and want to get a strat instead?? Be sure to get one with a bucker instead of soapbars. Also........too much weight? are you serious?
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by HandsomeFrank
What are you? A girl? Ten pounds is hardly any weight to hold in both of your hands, your lap, or around your neck..

Im a girl and play it easliy.

If you dont like it sell it or take it back and buy any ESP LTD EC-500 it has better pick ups.
dude? 10 pounds? thats seriously not much my guitar weighs a whole hell of alot more then 10 pounds you think your guitars heavy? come hold mine up for an hour and play it and then talk to me about weight... but for the fat neck you'll get used to it soo don't worry..
ya not ganna lie LP's arent very confortabe for me, but my mexican fender strat fits in me really well.
Quote by duncanxdonuts

did anyone notice this?

LMAO

Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Well, an HSS Strat may be a good way to go. Aerosmith have used pretty much every type of guitar around over the years, though Joe Perry has several signature Les Paul models, he's used hollowbodies, Strats and all sorts of other weirder types of guitar just as much as he's used his Les Pauls.

As far as GnR go, 95% of Slash's tone comes purely from his amp, and nowhere else. Not pedals, not from the guitar's pickups, not the guitar's wood, not which strings he uses... his tone is almost entirely just from his amp. Certainly, his amp is a much more important piece of gear than any of his guitars. So long as you've got a decent amp, you don't 'have' to have a Les Paul to get a decent GnR-ish tone. If Slash can get a singlecoil Tele-like sound out of a double setneck mahogany four humbucker SG, I'm sure you could get a thicker tone like his out of a Strat or SG so long as your amp is decent.

And your playing comfort is more important than anything else. No matter what anyone suggests, no matter what famous player you want to replicate, the #1 thing should always be your comfort when playing. If a neck doesn't suit you, get rid of it. If a guitar is too heavy or too light for you, get rid of it. There is never just one right way to do anything when it comes to guitar, 'right' is purely subjective to each player separately.

Though I will say, if you find the Epi neck too thick, you're going to have trouble. The Epi neck is actually fairly thin by Les Paul standards, and is really about the same thickness as any typical Strat or Telecaster neck. And SG would be lighter than the LP, but it'll suffer from neckdive, and the neck won't be any slimmer. If you want to go much slimmer than an Epi neck, you're basically going to have to go to a brand like Ibanez or ESP.

Quote by HandsomeFrank
Another thing: Why would you spend so much money on a guitar when you've only been playing for four months? The most I've spent on a guitar is $419.99, and it does me good.
Feh. My first guitar was £800, but hey sod it, I worked hard, saved up my money, and I don't regret it at all. Sure at first it was overkill, but spending more early on meant I learnt on something decent and over the years haven't had much need to replace it. In the long run it saves money, rather than buying one cheap thing to start off, then having to upgrade later.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by AeroDave
I intended to play Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, etc. But it doesn't worth is so much considering that I don't even have a pedal. Annoying thing is that I had tried it a couple of times before I bought it and it felt just fine.

Who says you need a pedal to get those sounds. If anything, those artists are well known for having a very pure, unmodified tone. Slash gets his tone just out of a Les Paul and a Marshall, he only uses a wah for some of his soloes. As for it digging into your ribs, neckheavy, w/e, it is a lespaul, there is much worse you can do for neckweight and uncomfortability.

All in all, this entire post looks like you bought the guitar hoping it would make you sound better. Skill makes you sound better, not guitars.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by Horlicks
Give it to me.

*shoves*

No, give it to me!

NAO
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

you'll get used to the weight
thats a perfect guitar for guns n roses and aerosmith
you'll get used to the neck, its really not that fat
and if you have a good amp with distortion you dont need a distortion pedal, and if you don't, then big deal go out and buy one, and maybe a wah.
your supposed to buy your guitar before your effects so thats not a problem.
what guitar did you have before this? if you had like an ibanez or something, than you should it expect it to feel like it came from hell or something
i really think you should give it a chance, and on the 29th day or something, decide wether you want a different guitar.
Personally i don't like LPs as they have a fat neck and are uncomfortable to play, well the ones i played have been.

Ibanez makes the best cheap guitars you can get, Ibanez GRG170 with a pickup change maybe? for $550 i think you should be able to, that would be a awesome guitar for a beginner
Manchester United
heavey try my bass if that is heavey this will take you to the floor
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
That's a bit rude trying to trade it back in and whinging about it isn't it? Seeing as it was a gift from your parents.
HI
Quote by duncanxdonuts

did anyone notice this?

why do people say gibson epi les paul ist not a gibson at all its just an epi its like people saying fender squier /end rant
on topic: play it for another 2 days to see if u get used to it. if not return it
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I'll never understand this. I play on a LP with a 50's neck, and it's one of the mose comfortable things ever. I guess it's just personal preference.
Gibson.
i love all the asshats telling him he's a puss because he isnt comfortable wt his purchase.

TS either trade it in for the EPi LP Ultra (it's light)

or look into strats. but like said, get something with a humbucker, and understand that your amp is going to shape your tone more than your guitar.
so get one that's easy for you to play.

you only bought it a couple of days ago. stores all have 30 day or better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by stratdud39
ya but squiers actually really do suck

Epiphone is more like LTD, more affordable guitars, have some sucky ones, but there very low priced, so are expected to be sucky, and have pretty nice ones at like $400
EDIT: but i totally agree with what your saying, some tool just told me 90% of epiphone sucks(read my sig, lol)

and you're just as bad as the asshat in your sig. you just said all squiers suck.

DUDE have you even played the new classic and vintage squiers?
for $300 they kill the more expensive epi studios.

forget about JV squiers and so on.

i'd rather have a $169 squier affinity over a $200 epi jr. or the toy, the lp-100.

whatever.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 2