Page 1 of 2
(skip this first paragraph if you want to get right to the good stuff)
Well, last night right before a show, my amp quit working. i knew i had some tubes that were going out so i went to the only place that sells tubes within a 1 hour drive and bought the only tubes they had. POS Sovteks is all they had. Put them in, and bam, the amp still doesnt work right, and it almost caught on fire. Monday the amp is being sent in for repairs, and the warranty will be up in a year. Its the 4th time its been in on repairs. Im telling them to make sure they make it work, because im trading it in, so it will be there problem.

I play blues/rock, lots of jazz, lots of old RnB, some country. I need something versatile, i do alot of session work in my area. also im in a touring christian rock band, so i need something that wont break down everyday. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART---> I need an american voiced amp, i need great blackface style cleans. 6L6 power tubes are a n absolute must. no real budget, because if its out of my range i will look for it used. but, its used price should be not much more that $1200 US. spring reverb is pretty much a necessity, and a dirty channel would be nice, but im ok if its not there. no real wattage restrictions, but its best for it to be between 30-60 watts. im mic'd half the time, and the rest of the time im not.

here is what im thinking of so far. suggestions wanted very much

-Mesa Boogie Lonestar
-Fender Super Reverb
-Dr Z EZG 50
-Dr Z Galaxie (no reverb, and more of a tweed tone, so im not too into this one)
-Ceriatone "that dumble clone, whatever they call it" (no reverb, so im iffy, plus i wont get to try it out, ever)
-Fuchs Super Drive. (again, its a dumble clone, so no reverb.)

ok, anything else im missing, any guidance from anyone? and thank you for your time, sorry about the long post, but you should have everything you need.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by bsinot1190
go with the boogie. it'll never let you down.

Compared to everything else I'm seeing there, yeah, I agree. I've really never heard or had a negative statement about Mesa amps, so go for it.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by Horlicks
Dr Z=

i love the idea of the DR Z. the only problem is the galaxie, which i find used on ebay all the time, isnt quite the what i want, and the other DR Z which is perfect i have never seen haha. i hope i find it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
You like described a fender tube amp. Not gunna lie. What did you have before?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
You sound like you want a Mesa boogie, american voiced, good cleans, and an ok dirty channel.

I'd reccomend the lonestar, has some of the best cleans I've ever used.
Quote by l3p4rd
You like described a fender tube amp. Not gunna lie. What did you have before?

fender hot rod deluxe.
a fender is on my list, however i dislike the reissues.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Highwaytohell
You sound like you want a Mesa boogie, american voiced, good cleans, and an ok dirty channel.

I'd reccomend the lonestar, has some of the best cleans I've ever used.

the lonestar is one of the things im considering. i havent yet had the chance to play one though, im hoping the clean channel will live up to the hyperbole of Mesas marketing team. thus far, through video clips, im far more impressed with its lead channel.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
In the other thread I asked how you liked that amp. Guess that answers that question.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
In the other thread I asked how you liked that amp. Guess that answers that question.

its a great amp when it works. mine blew up and nearly caught fire.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I agree with the Mesa Lonestar

maybe Rocker 30 though?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Have you tried the Peavey delta blues? The 15" speaker is really something else. May be a bit much for jazz I don't get into jazz much.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The super reverb is about the best working mans amp I've ever had my hands on. I'm not a fan of the reissue but if you are handy with a soldering iron then you could always get a kit. If not then the reissue is probably the next best thing. Vintage amps sound great but they need lots of TLC and if you need something that is reliable then you need something new (ish).

A silverface super that is modified to blackface specs is probably going to be the most affordable option.
Not taking any online orders.
with my budget, i can do much better than a peavey delta blues, but thanks for the suggestion.

and Corduroy, im not planning on getting a reissue super. i dislike every fender reissue ive ever played. a SF is what im looking for, and better yet, sometimes i can see just super reverb chassis' for pretty cheap. i can build my own cabinets and stuff. i have a SF bassman thats been through hell and back, it just needs new caps and its still breathes fire. so SF amps def. are reliable. thanks for the feedback.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Fender Super Six Reverb

Also: Look at the Mesa Blue Angel.

Added to look at's: SF Dual Showman, Ampeg VT-22, Ampeg J-20, Ampeg Reverberocket, Sunn Model T.

More when I can think of any.
Quote by imgooley
Fender Super Six Reverb

Also: Look at the Mesa Blue Angel.

Added to look at's: SF Dual Showman, Ampeg VT-22, Ampeg J-20, Ampeg Reverberocket, Sunn Model T.

More when I can think of any.

thanks for all the suggestions, im going to look into them.
the showman just isnt for me after playing it before.
the j20 doesnt have enough watts, but i will check out them. ive looked for some of them before but i usually cant find them.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
thanks for all the suggestions, im going to look into them.
the showman just isnt for me after playing it before.
the j20 doesnt have enough watts, but i will check out them. ive looked for some of them before but i usually cant find them.

The J-20 is a really clean amp, and it's also pretty loud

The VT-22 has a ton of headroom.

The Blue Angel is probably the best out of my suggestions, as it runs both 6l6's and EL84's, so it would work best for session work, though I don't know if it has a master volume. Kevin Eubanks (of the tonight show band) uses one, if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by imgooley
The J-20 is a really clean amp, and it's also pretty loud

The VT-22 has a ton of headroom.

The Blue Angel is probably the best out of my suggestions, as it runs both 6l6's and EL84's, so it would work best for session work, though I don't know if it has a master volume. Kevin Eubanks (of the tonight show band) uses one, if I'm not mistaken.

it runs 6v6s. i have played a j20, its pushing it as far as headroom goes. it is probably enough for most of what i do, but theres a good chance its not enough for the shows that i go unmic'd. the other guitar player plays a SF twin reverb that has been modded by the previous owner, its about 130 watts.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Ah, then the VT-22 would be perfect.

It has a different enough voicing than the Twin, and cleans as good, if not better.
Quote by imgooley
Ah, then the VT-22 would be perfect.

It has a different enough voicing than the Twin, and cleans as good, if not better.

i cant find much information about the VT 22. does it use some kind of crazy-ass power tubes that im never gonna find? how many watts?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by mcrfobtai
+10000

again, i hope i end up with a DR Z, the problem is the Dr Z thats perfect for me i have never seen except on their website.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Can you buy directly from their website?

im not sure, but assuming i can, i dont want to pay the new price. i want to pay the used price.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
My vote is for the Lonestar. Incredible amp.

But for the sake of variety I maight suggest a Fender Twin Reverb.
Sig What?
Quote by chea_man
i cant find much information about the VT 22. does it use some kind of crazy-ass power tubes that im never gonna find? how many watts?

100 watts.

7027A powertubes. Theres a site that sells them, but I can't remember what site it was.
Quote by darth awsome
My vote is for the Lonestar. Incredible amp.

But for the sake of variety I maight suggest a Fender Twin Reverb.

im more of a fan of the super, but if i find a vintage one for a price that i like, i will jump on it. its has more power than i would like though. im not a huge fan of the reissue.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
im not reallly looking for an amp with that much power, not too mention one with power tubes that ive never heard of, but if i come across one i will def. try it out.
and thanks for the link to the Super, i have my eyes on a couple supers on ebay right now. one is a black face 66, its just the chassis so i get to make my own cabinet and stuff, so i like that.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
im more of a fan of the super,

I sent you a PM about that. You may not be interested but just thought I would mention it.
Not taking any online orders.
about 3 hours away from cincinatti haha. southeastern ohio, im pretty much in west virginia.
ive got my eyes on a '66 super reverb chassis on ebay, which is pretty much THE tone that im going for. the thing is i need some other tones so im torn between getting an amp that can kind of do everything i need, or getting one that has that clean tone thats in my head and achieve everything else with pedals.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I sent you a PM about that. You may not be interested but just thought I would mention it.

got your pm and replied. thank you very much!!!!
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
i should add that now i am also considering the fender super sonic.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i should add that now i am also considering the fender super sonic.

Those are excellently amazing amps.
Quote by imgooley
Those are excellently amazing amps.

the only time i tried it out, i was amazed by the drive channel, and kind of dissapointed in the cleans. however i wasnt up very loud, so i will try it out again. im hoping that its the perfect amp for me right now.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
the only time i tried it out, i was amazed by the drive channel, and kind of dissapointed in the cleans. however i wasnt up very loud, so i will try it out again. im hoping that its the perfect amp for me right now.

Well, it has 2 clean channels, really. A BF type circuit and a Tweed type one.
Quote by imgooley
Well, it has 2 clean channels, really. A BF type circuit and a Tweed type one.

true, but the BF is based on a vibrolux. i have an inclination that if i try it at a higher volume my opinion of it will change favorably.
im leaning towards just sticking with the bassman that i have now (needs new caps) and buying/building a great germanium fuzz face and use it until i know for sure what i want. however, i want suggestions to keep coming.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
If you go the fuzz route, get a Frantone Those things kick major ass.

That's a killer setup anyway.
Page 1 of 2