I'm considering getting a short scale bass, but I have some questions I can't find answers to.

1. Strings - Do short scales need different strings? Do they need a higher gauge (gage?) string? Do strings go bad faster?

2. String tension - Are the strings very loose or very tight?

3. Sound - Will I still be able to get a full bass sound? I plan to use a short scale neck on a P-Bss body, would that work?

Any help is HUGELY appreciated.
1. Yes you can get short scale strings

2. They should be around the same as the change in scale is usually bal;anced out by a different gauge.

3. that probably wont work, the neck pocket will most likely be a different shape and your intonation will go to shit
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.

2. They should be around the same as the change in scale is usually bal;anced out by a different gauge.

3. that probably wont work, the neck pocket will most likely be a different shape and your intonation will go to shit

Aw weak, really? Well, thanks for all that, you saved me a lot of time and money.
You should try a fender mustang if you're still serious about getting one, you can PM skippy_moogoose on here if you want more information on it cos he has one. Just make sure you try out a wide range of short and regular scale basses before you decide
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.

not go go against you but that is not 100% true
you can get short scale strings but do not have too
gauges will not be a problem
you only need a set up to fix your intotation and warmoth should offer the same pocket size but also fender sells factory replacement necks and might have a shorter scale one
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
ya you need to get a dedicated short scale bass. check out Birdsong Guitars. They design all their instruments from the ground, up as short scales. They even have a short scale 5er. I've heard clips of it too. it's really bassy, but not complete mud, and apparently they figured out how raise the string tension using some "double string through" thing. They are kinda expensive though.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
You can actualy convert a standard guitar to a short scale Bass Burns did this in the early 60s.
Take a look at the Trem shot the bottom E is 0.095, this bass was the same body and neck of the standard guitar with mods to the bridge, trem, nut and machine heads.
And yes it is a bass and sounds like a bass; I do gig it ocassionaly.
Attachments:
Burns Controles1ab.jpg
1962 6 string.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
You can actualy convert a standard guitar to a short scale Bass Burns did this in the early 60s.
Take a look at the Trem shot the bottom E is 0.095, this bass was the same body and neck of the standard guitar with mods to the bridge, trem, nut and machine heads.
And yes it is a bass and sounds like a bass; I do gig it ocassionaly.

That's a pretty unique instrument you got there!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by ScottB.
You should try a fender mustang if you're still serious about getting one, you can PM skippy_moogoose on here if you want more information on it cos he has one. Just make sure you try out a wide range of short and regular scale basses before you decide

Moog is on vacation though. I can tell you about it though, if you need info. I had many intimate moments with a 67 Mustang bass while working at summer camp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you must get a short scale, get a mustang. But be aware the sound is not like other basses and that's one of the reasons people do buy them.

On related topic, does anyone know of short scale fretless basses? This came up in a discussion with my guitarist this week and I couldn't think of any of the majors that made one.
Quote by anarkee
If you must get a short scale, get a mustang. But be aware the sound is not like other basses and that's one of the reasons people do buy them.

On related topic, does anyone know of short scale fretless basses? This came up in a discussion with my guitarist this week and I couldn't think of any of the majors that made one.

Alembic do them, I think.

If you want a cheap one...

Weeeeeell...

er....

Ashbory Bass? Fernandes Nomad?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
^^ if Nomad basses are anything like Nomad guitars, they are terrible. let's hope they are much better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ibanez artcore bass. It has a shortscale neck and a nice round tone.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410