Page 1 of 3
I went to Birmingham with my friend on the train today to go to some music shops, get some essentials and test out some amps and stuff. First we went to 'Reverb' (formerly SoundControl).

It was the first time I'd gone since it had reopened. First thing I noticed- the Ibanez section was gone. The shop was full of Gibson, PRS and Fender with a load of Orange and Marshall amps, not much else. They didn't have any 7 strings so I asked if I could put a Schecter Demon through a Single Rectifier and the guy says "Tell you what, you can play this instead" and puts me through a solid-state Randall. He plays for about 5 minutes before actually giving the guitar to me. After about 15 minutes, I left.

I then went to 'City Music' a small shop round the corner from Reverb. They had a load of cheap crap apart from a few ESPs. I talked to the guy at the desk and said "Do you mind if I play one of the ESPs?" and he replies "I do actually, I've just polished them." Prick.

I was hoping my faith would be restored in music shops when I headed to PMT. They had one 7 string in the whole place, a Jackson COW7. I asked if I could play it and the guy says "Unless you're specifically looking to buy it, I don't think you can." So I ask a different person if I can play a Xiphos and he lets me, but plugs me into a Cube 60 which some effects processor that I don't know how to work. It was impossible to hear whether the guitar was actually any good or not, so I spend ages trying to find a preset I like. When I do, the employee comes over and says "OK, I think your playtime is over now."

These employees have pissed me off majorly today. When I went in with my Dad, they let me play gear twice the price for about 4 times as long. Not all teenagers (I'm 16) pick up Deans, tune them to Drop D and play as loud as the possibly can. I know this is yet another rant about music shops, but it's the employees this time, not the customers.

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

TL;DR: Employees don't take teenagers seriously, and it sucks.

EDIT: I just remembered how the Reverb employee kept saying 7 strings were pointless. What a dick, seriously.
Last edited by Tom_hatton at Oct 18, 2008,
Wave you wallet at them as you walk in and you will be allowed to play anything, I'm not kidding
At least you have guitar shops with half-decent guitars

Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by Tom_hatton
*stuff*

I think your TL;DR should be that people in general don't take teenagers seriously. Or people who look "0mfgz teh weerd lal".

Bah. I'm not bitter.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
I love the guitar shops here, I get mad respect from one of them due to the amount of cash I've spent there, even if I hadn't I still wouldn't get pushed around, they pretty much let you play what you want for as long as you want as long as you don't break anything.
I always perouse guitar shops with my dad, it's pointless doing it on your own.

anyawy, the reason music shops are shit is because they're run and owned by loser guitarists.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
so... bring your father?
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
i hate people who work at music shops, i went to my local drum shop to buy some new sticks and theres about 3 teenage employees on a practice pad at the check out. i was like "wtf?" these kids get paid for that?

i know a kid who bought cymbals from the same store. set him back £200 for a cheap set of cymbals, turns out the crash cymbal was only a thin crash and he got ripped. he went back and they said hey couldnt do anything about it.

wtf do these guys ACTUALLY do?!
Reverb is crap.

Theres a decent little shop on Smallbrook Queensway (outside the main entrance to New St Station), called Fair Deal - They are quite good.

PMT are pretty good though I always found. I went in with a mate yesterday and spent a few hours trying out different guitars (including that 7-string Jackson), they've got a soundproof room that we commandeer. The staff in there always seem pretty friendly whenever I've gone in.
i've never got that kind of treatment. :/

in the guitar shops near me, there's always too many fenders/squiers and epiphones. fair enough they want to be appealing to beginners. and the basses are always fender and yamaha. gah. :|
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Guitar shops rarely have lefty guitars, and I think that sucks more.

I feel your pain
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
We'll i agree with the guy in the orange/marshall shop...
Because that's like reallly expensive gear doode...

Maybe it depends on your behaviour when entering the shop?
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
wherever i go i can play anything i want for as long as i want unless it is under lock and key or in a glass case (aka the $10,000 guitars/amps).

mebe your town just sucks. come to Phoenix, Arizona my friend and you will love it. cept in the summer when its 115degrees.
Do NOT look behind you.
damn man sound control was awsome, we do train trips down there to
thats where i got my ibanez, from the ibanez section!!

city music is pretty good to but that has always been a small like main stream shop
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Guitar shops rarely have lefty guitars, and I think that sucks more.

Lefty Basses are even worse.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Why is stocking fender guitars and basses trying to appeal to beginners? :s
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
ya dude a lot of people at the small shops are total dicks. i have many similar stories. on the other hand, i know a shop thatll let u do watever u want. but then again, i know a few more where they treat teenagers like total shit because of some gay-ass stereotype. just go to GC if theres one near you. ive ony been playing for about 2.5 years and they had no problem at all letting me grab a Schecter Hellraiser custom and plugged it into a Dual Rectifier. i tell you, THIS is how it should be everywhere. these guys in the little shops should quit the shit like they own the place, (even if they do)
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Quote by urbanfox
Reverb is crap.

Theres a decent little shop on Smallbrook Queensway (outside the main entrance to New St Station), called Fair Deal - They are quite good.

PMT are pretty good though I always found. I went in with a mate yesterday and spent a few hours trying out different guitars (including that 7-string Jackson), they've got a soundproof room that we commandeer. The staff in there always seem pretty friendly whenever I've gone in.

They let you play it? Fuck.
Tell them that if they want you to actually buy something, you probably want to make sure it's not shit.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Used to have 3 guitar stores here in Newport

GM Music
Speed Music
Gamlins

Speed and Gamlins are now gone leaving just GM, the owner is somewhat hit and miss and seems to be stuck in miserable mode. He's quite friendly and informative when he's not though. I tend to go to Cardiff now though, they have a Gamlins there that carries ESP and Cranes Music Store that stocks...CAPARISON!!
Quote by meh!
I always perouse guitar shops with my dad, it's pointless doing it on your own.

anyawy, the reason music shops are shit is because they're run and owned by loser guitarists.

^so true, so very true.

By the way TC, you should try going to Denmark street in central london, most of the shops there treat you like shit even if you are planning on buying something.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
PMT is always rubbish on a Saturday, I only ever go in on a Sunday when it is less crowded and the staff are friendlier, there are some good small shops too like Music Exchange in Stirchly and Sheldon Music (although i'm told it was cleared out recently, not sure why but it's a shame if it's true).

Also if you become a local at one of these shop they're much nicer, my friend is treated very well at his local shop and gets great deals. I used to spend alot of time in PMT and the guys there would rememer the things i'd brought weeks before and ask how it was going, also I got into a conversation about Epiphones with this one particularly nice PMT employee and he just said "Pick one from the wall (gotta love that wall), you can play it for a while" some really top guys in there.
Last edited by aaciseric at Oct 18, 2008,
Pmt seems to treat me like royalty, i guess it must be due to my previous purchases. You should have went fair deal as well they have good selection of Esp's, Ibanez's, Jackson's and Fender's. All the advice i can give is get a bank card if you want to try out gear they don't know how much money you have on there.
Quote by Tom_hatton
They let you play it? Fuck.

Yup.

You need a backstory before you go in really.

It's no good just going in and asking to play stuff.

Tell 'em that you're looking to buy something and have a few guitars in mind that you wish to try out.
i love the shop from where i'm from. i got my strat there, and the guy who owns/runs it is great to talk to about pretty much anything. however, its a very small one-room shop, and its tucked away pretty well, so not much foot traffic is near it (which keeps away the drop-d wankery).

edit: and the shop is primarily a rickenbacker/vox shop, which is even more amazing in such a little boonie-town.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Oct 18, 2008,
The Reverb near me always knocks money off things... for example, my mate wanted this peavey bass, it was £150, the guy said, how about we do it for £100.. instant sale. I got £3 knocked off 2 packets of guitar strings, they were priced at £13 for the pair, the guy saw the price and went.. thats expensive.. give me a tenner for em...

Always good service there. Although I do agree its gone... more... mainstream i guess. All the peavey amps have gone, theres just a couple of marshalls, a few orange amps and thats about it.

They used to have a HUUGE wall for electric guitars... now theres hardly any. Sucks.
Quote by BlackandSilver
Tell them that if they want you to actually buy something, you probably want to make sure it's not shit.

Would you belive a 16-old teenager who wants to "buy" a $2000 Rectifier?
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Well, the Reverb in Bristol is slightly cheaper than what Sound Control was. However, for about two months after it was opened, it had virtually nothing in it. There was literally one Gibson in the entire store and they didn't have any gigbags for anything other than Strats.
most guitar shops around here are ok, small guitar only shops are the best.. im 18 but i always talk to the guys there about differnt equipment and styles and they let me try out anything. chain stores are dicks, well mostly, one place i always go to i always talk to the manager, hes kinda cool, but i dont like his style, this other place, everyone's a total dick walking around thinkin they're better then u.

i stick to small shops now cuz the ppl there are cool and u can always talk the prices down even after they match the chain stores.

if u wanna try anything out, just walk in, find anyone and say im looking for.... [insert desire here] and money is no concearn.

in 5 min u'll b playing a $3000 guitar through a $4000 amp.

try it.
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Yeah, I've been in PMT (Southend) quite a lot, they let me play play in the soundproof room for ages. It got to the stage that when I went in a few months later, the salesman even remembered my rig. Its not even that bad in Denmark Street, loads of people comment how rude they are but when I've been with a friend they have no issue loading me up with a TriAmp and LP when all I'm getting is a wah. Its a shame that lots of music employees end up being dicks, it irks me greatly.
You know what works for me?

TALKING to the staff, even if they are dicks. If you can carry on a debate for a couple of minutes, or find something in common, to show you aren't some casual shredder, they usually ease up. I've made it a point to be on first name terms with the people in my local guitar shops, and it always works for me. When I went in to my old local in Nottingham, the owner asked if I would like to try the 3 1/2 grand Taylor in the window, even though she knew I wasn't buying.
Quote by JackalUK
Wave you wallet at them as you walk in and you will be allowed to play anything, I'm not kidding

I've found this to work for me, literally. I usually buy from the same store, and after spending a few grand there over the alst few years, they like me.
Quote by meh!
Why is stocking fender guitars and basses trying to appeal to beginners? :s

I agree, if anything.......Beginners tend to gravitate towards Ibanez.
Quote by JackalUK

+1
I knew the staff were pricks at Wembley guitar center so I told them I had a £4000 budget for a new setup as my band were getting signed. They were happy to let me play a Xiphos through all the Mesas, Engls, Peaveys and Hughes and Kettners for as long as I wanted. They even let me crank them to 10

Quote by IKnowItsWrong

Actually a single recto in the UK costs about £1700/$3400
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by IKnowItsWrong

Yes, because I'm not a pessimistic asshole who assumes all young people steal shit for teh lulz.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
I have a Music Center Canada like 5 minutes walking distance from my house, and the guys there are really cool. Me and my friends go there all the time, just to sit and chill and play some guitar. The people there don't care, unless it's a guitar over $1000, then we have to ask to play it, and usually we can. Plus I take lessons there, so I get a 5% discount (which is just the GST) if I make a major purchase.

It's a great place.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker
I think semen would be our biggest export...
We'd build an industry around it.

Quote by Tom_hatton
I went to Birmingham with my friend on the train today to go to some music shops, get some essentials and test out some amps and stuff. First we went to 'Reverb' (formerly SoundControl).

It was the first time I'd gone since it had reopened. First thing I noticed- the Ibanez section was gone. The shop was full of Gibson, PRS and Fender with a load of Orange and Marshall amps, not much else. They didn't have any 7 strings so I asked if I could put a Schecter Demon through a Single Rectifier and the guy says "Tell you what, you can play this instead" and puts me through a solid-state Randall. He plays for about 5 minutes before actually giving the guitar to me. After about 15 minutes, I left.

I then went to 'City Music' a small shop round the corner from Reverb. They had a load of cheap crap apart from a few ESPs. I talked to the guy at the desk and said "Do you mind if I play one of the ESPs?" and he replies "I do actually, I've just polished them." Prick.

I was hoping my faith would be restored in music shops when I headed to PMT. They had one 7 string in the whole place, a Jackson COW7. I asked if I could play it and the guy says "Unless you're specifically looking to buy it, I don't think you can." So I ask a different person if I can play a Xiphos and he lets me, but plugs me into a Cube 60 which some effects processor that I don't know how to work. It was impossible to hear whether the guitar was actually any good or not, so I spend ages trying to find a preset I like. When I do, the employee comes over and says "OK, I think your playtime is over now."

These employees have pissed me off majorly today. When I went in with my Dad, they let me play gear twice the price for about 4 times as long. Not all teenagers (I'm 16) pick up Deans, tune them to Drop D and play as loud as the possibly can. I know this is yet another rant about music shops, but it's the employees this time, not the customers.

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

TL;DR: Employees don't take teenagers seriously, and it sucks.

EDIT: I just remembered how the Reverb employee kept saying 7 strings were pointless. What a dick, seriously.

Sorry, but whereabouts is reverb? Can you give me directions? Like is it near new street or something?
Page 1 of 3