I've been using dunlop .73 picks for a while, but I got tired of them because they always give me that scrachy tone. Even if I pick parralel to the strings.

I know it's not my picking technique since I get it even if I pick parallel to the strings, but it's weird, I've tried alot of other of my picks and I still get it sometimes...

Anyone can advice me something??

I've tried removing distortion and all but I still get it kind.

I somehow don't get it or get it a bit less with another guitar, but I really don't think it's my guitar.
Change your picks, and see what happens. Or your string guage.

And what's your guitar?

EDIT: And picking parallel isn't the best technique either, you wanna be on an angle.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 18, 2008,
Pick as close to parrallel as you can. Use a nice thick pick. Make sure that you pick cleanly and dont just rub it back and forth over the strings. Thats really all you can do.
Quote by Lil Macker
Change your picks, and see what happens. Or your string guage.

And what's your guitar?

I already tried both, and sometimes I just don't like the attack of other picks =/

My guitar's an sas32ex [ibanez]

Quote by madbomber233
Pick as close to parrallel as you can. Use a nice thick pick. Make sure that you pick cleanly and dont just rub it back and forth over the strings. Thats really all you can do.

I tried used from .50 to 1.14 and those stubbys [2mm and 3mm]

But I think that it's the way I hold the pick. Well, it's parralel on the string, but like, the side of the pick is picking the string when I upstroke.

But now I have to figure out how I acn resolve this on my last e string... I always have that tone with it.

edit:
Quote by Lil Macker
EDIT: And picking parallel isn't the best technique either, you wanna be on an angle.

I normaly pick on a angle but I got tired because of that scratchy tone but trying parallel didn't help.
I'd say a thicker pick.

By the way, your avatar and sig are trippy as hell.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
^ lol

I think I'll have to pick "a la Paul gilbert" or buckethead since I pick almost like them but, my hand is a bit angles so it makes my pick, eveif parralel or ont ot the strings, pick with it's side.
Quote by kevC4
^ lol

I think I'll have to pick "a la Paul gilbert" or buckethead since I pick almost like them but, my hand is a bit angles so it makes my pick, eveif parralel or ont ot the strings, pick with it's side.

Doesn't Paul Gilbert have a scratchier tone due to the way he picks? Correct me if I'm wrong.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Doesn't Paul Gilbert have a scratchier tone due to the way he picks? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes but he picks very very angled, me I just want a little bit.

But he can be very smooth when he wants.

Well I don't care having a scratchy tone sometimes, but it ****s me up on the g b e strings.

edit: somehow , what I said there was pretty stupid since I already pick like paul gilbert kinda... Well no one picks the same, but I am confortable with the way he does. My problem was I was just holding the pick like shet [horizontaly wrong, what I mean is even if I was picking parralel to the strings, I was picking with the side of my pick and not the pointy part]
Last edited by kevC4 at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by stradivari310
^ So you've fixed your problem?

Kinda.. .Well I just need to train verry hard to always pick with the pointy part of the pick.

But now what I'm asking is, should I pick very angled or just a bit?

I always picked just a bit but, I just found out that picking with the pointy part makes picking angled less scratchy , more clean. The note sounds less forte but it sounds pretty smooth and I'm asking myself If I should try shredding like that.

edit: I think I'm having an orgasm because of the cleaness of this tone

but now I have to reabilate my thumb and index to take that pick position and it's kinda hard but it's not making me unconfortable really
Last edited by kevC4 at Oct 18, 2008,

Jazz III's.

Theyre amazing and you get used to them pretty quick, they really help with that kind of thing.

Smaller pick/Pointy Tip= Fix your problem

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu

Jazz III's.

Theyre amazing and you get used to them pretty quick, they really help with that kind of thing.

Smaller pick/Pointy Tip= Fix your problem

If you look in my profile's pictures, you can see I have a "magic" pick box. So yea I had some of those.

I tried them but was a bit unconfortable still since on the last e string, I had difficulties still, not for the tone but with the way I was holding the pick I had to like , extense my finger and thumb. But now I tried them with my new way to hold my pick and it's perfect for alternate picking and it is fast like hell

ps: I just came back from work o_o