Alright let me start off by saying, I am not gonna be buying anything before December 26, 2008 but I WILL be ready to spend 3000 on guitar gear.

What I currently own:
Schecter 006 Extreme
Pod XT Live

What I play:
Megadeth, Metallica, Lamb of God, Slayer, AILD, Motorhead, ACDC and at the same time Video game music (lol), Vai, Angelo, etc.
So I am kinda looking for this type of tone and also good cleans (slayer cleans)

Now I need help deciding on my new rig.

Basically I was thinking of getting Bugera 333xl for the amp but I have increased by budget. I want a (head and cab) that cost $1500 combined or a better combo for around $1500 and sounds kickass (I heard the H&Ks were good, tried one I liked it..)

For guitar (around $1000): I am thinking about
- Schecter 006 Hellraiser with EMG/Floyd (but goddamn I hate the fat neck)
- Dean ML-79 (not sure about zebra, tried em out but didn't OMFG amaze me)
- ESP MH-1000 with EMG/Floyd (good reviews but haven't tried it)
- Razorback (tried one, I liked the duncans and trem but not entirely sure cause ppl are saying its over priced)
- Other suggestions are very welcome, I am always up for choice

So.. what to do with the rest $500? (maybe use for some pedals)

I am thinking of selling the XT Live and getting individual effects since I hear thats a better way to go eh?

If you suggest the amp and guitar, please do also suggest what effects will help me make the most of my equipment (ex. what od/chorus/whatever pedals)

Thanks for the help, like I said, always up for new ideas...
Last edited by OhSoInsane at Oct 18, 2008,
with three thousand dollars buy a JCM800 2204 for 1500.

then buy a RG770 Used for 800.

then buy a Twin reverb for cleans

and Fulltone OCD
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
what you going to be using the stuff for because if you just play at home theres no point in a 333xl
Slayer cleans?

Lol.

Anyway: used MKIII or MKIV, can't help with guitar, and yes, sell the pod.
Engl Fireball + Ibanez RG 1527 Prestige + New pickups of your choice
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
what kinda sound are you looking for? and just know at this range amps don't hide your mistake, they force you to be a cleaner player
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by imgooley
Slayer cleans?
lol yea, I was looking for seasons of the abyss type clean sound :P

Quote by stewart91
what you going to be using the stuff for because if you just play at home theres no point in a 333xl

mostly at home and some gigs

I am currently looking into the ideas you guys have posted but keep going
Thanks
Splawn Nitro and a new guitar
Or
ENGL savage and a new guitar
Or
Splawn Quickrod and a new guitar
Or
Mesa Roadking and a new guitar
Or
ENGL Fireball and a new guitar
Or
Mesa Mark IV and a new guitar
Or
VHT Sig X and a new guitar
Or
Framus Cobra and a new guitar
Or
Diamond Nitrox and a new guitar
Or
VHT delievarence and a new guitar.
Or
EVH 5150 III and a new guitar.

/Thread
Alright so I have added some stuff to my things-to-try-at-the-store list, please feel free if I should try something else as well

Amps:
Mark III
Mark IV
ENGL Powerball
JCM 800
keep em coming

Guitars:
ESP LTD MH-1000
haven't gotten more suggestions for this yet!

FX:
Need more!
Quote by OhSoInsane
Alright so I have added some stuff to my things-to-try-at-the-store list, please feel free if I should try something else as well

Amps:
Mark III
Mark IV
ENGL Powerball
JCM 800
keep em coming

Guitars:
ESP LTD MH-1000
haven't gotten more suggestions for this yet!

FX:
Need more!

You're not going to find a Mark III or IV at a store unless they have a used one in, they're not made anymore. You might be able to pick up a Roadster combo for $1500 used.

Probably won't find an Engl either since not a lot of places carry them.

And unless there's a used one, the only JCM800 you're gonna find is (maybe) a Reissue or the Kerry King Signature head, which really aren't the same as the original, but the KK was pretty sweet when I tried it, too much though for the price.

The MH-1000 is the best guitar out of your list imo, but almost any used guitar in that price range is going to be better, the MH-1000s sell for ~$6-700 used. I'd go for a used Ibanez Prestige.

Effects: TC Electronics G-Major
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Godin Freeway Classic (bout $800)and Guitar Rig 3 (bout $600).....you will then spend the next 3 weeks trying to wipe that silly grin off your face..

good luck!
Quote by Bootsauce
Godin Freeway Classic (bout $800)and Guitar Rig 3 (bout $600).....you will then spend the next 3 weeks trying to wipe that silly grin off your face..

good luck!

Guitar Rig doesn't even come close to the real thing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Whatever you buy: go used.

If I had 3000$ and no good gear, id buy a 6505 (and fix some modifications) with a V30 or Greenback 2*12 (maybe one of each), and a Jackson USA SL2H. Pretty much the gear i have now.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by MatrixClaw
You're not going to find a Mark III or IV at a store unless they have a used one in, they're not made anymore. You might be able to pick up a Roadster combo for $1500 used.

Probably won't find an Engl either since not a lot of places carry them.

And unless there's a used one, the only JCM800 you're gonna find is (maybe) a Reissue or the Kerry King Signature head, which really aren't the same as the original, but the KK was pretty sweet when I tried it, too much though for the price.

The MH-1000 is the best guitar out of your list imo, but almost any used guitar in that price range is going to be better, the MH-1000s sell for ~$6-700 used. I'd go for a used Ibanez Prestige.

Effects: TC Electronics G-Major

I see, I live in calgary, I know three major guitar shops here: axe music, guitarworks, and guitar connection. Guitar works says they carry ENGL, Marshall, Genz Benz, etc. Guitar connection says they have Mesa, Marshall, Carvin, etc..
I've got the 79 ML. after pickup change absolutely love it, so i'm certainly biased. Best thing you can do for a sub $1000 guitar is put the pickups from a $4000 USA guitar in it.
Amps is up to you i like the JCM 800 and the Mesa's of tried. i'm interested in checking out the engl, but haven't found one yet. go to the shops and have a good time.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by LP_CL
Whatever you buy: go used.

If I had 3000$ and no good gear, id buy a 6505 (and fix some modifications) with a V30 or Greenback 2*12 (maybe one of each), and a Jackson USA SL2H. Pretty much the gear i have now.

Thanks for the advise, ill look into that as well.

scott: Thanks for the tip
wonder if they carry VHT's here in calgary. I wanted a diezel so bad but the no one in calgary sells those and the price is a bit too high lol. The quality is amazing, I was in US and I tried one, I was blown away but too bad its out of hte question and I dont really like ebay for shipping heavy ass packages lol..
Quote by OhSoInsane
wonder if they carry VHT's here in calgary. I wanted a diezel so bad but the no one in calgary sells those and the price is a bit too high lol. The quality is amazing, I was in US and I tried one, I was blown away but too bad its out of hte question and I dont really like ebay for shipping heavy ass packages lol..

A VHT Pittbull will be a very frustrating amp to play if you don't have your chops down. They DO NOT hide mistakes or any sloppy technique (I have no idea how good a player you are, but just warning you). I've played 2 different Diezels, & agree they are great, but you can get reasonably close to their tone for much less money.
I'd suggest a EVH 5150 III. I just bought a brand new one on ebay for $1499 US + $40 shipping from Kansas to Calif. You should definitely try a 5150 III, because it does all ranges of tones extremely well, & is the best sounding amp I've ever played at bedroom volume (except my Mojave re-amp rig, but I won't go into that). If you buy any of those other amps, & try a 5150 III afterward, you WILL hate yourself.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Mesa Road King. You need to at least try this amp.

It can pretty much nail any tone perfectly. If you want to go from bone crushing metal in drop A to Fender cleans it will do it! It will nail a marshall tone perfectly as well. Just switch the channel from the 6L6 to the EL34 channel. Awesome mid spike.

It's a combination of the Dual rectifier, Lonestar, and the Stiletto ace if i'm not mistaken.

You can't go wrong.
Quote by OhSoInsane
I see, I live in calgary, I know three major guitar shops here: axe music, guitarworks, and guitar connection. Guitar works says they carry ENGL, Marshall, Genz Benz, etc. Guitar connection says they have Mesa, Marshall, Carvin, etc..

you might also want to check out l&m, music center canada, and mothers
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
you might also want to check out l&m, music center canada, and mothers

I have been to mothers (a bit expensive!) and music center canada (it was alright, I mainly went there looking for a 7 string but they just carry jackson 7 string however I did see some mesa amps there.. maybe I need to take a trip again) Where is this L&M?