Hey Pit, I have a more or less serious question.

I lived the first 19 years of my life in a small town in the middle of nowhere and never really been to a big metal concert. Now, I moved in a bigger city for university and Gigantour should be comme here next year (i hope, they were this year) and my buddy who has been living here told me to not where my glasses at a metal concert because of mosh pits and such, I'm just asking for them to be broken. The thing is, I don't have contact lenses and don't want any, and there is no way I'll enjoy a blurry concert.

You guys probably have more experience about concerts then I do so is my friend correct or I should be fine if I stay away from mosh pits?

EDIT : I forgot to mention, I don't really want to go into mosh pits, just listen to the band and thrash a bit, notting to extreme.
Gear :
Epiphone G400
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Peavey Vypyr 30.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling and grammar, english isn't my first language.
Last edited by JusticeJanitor at Oct 18, 2008,
I always put contacts in when heading off to a show, I went to see Gama Bomb and Bonded By Blood last on Thursday (mah Birthday blud) and if I wore glasses, they would have been headbanged off and then crushed by a thrasher's boot. Same goes for when I saw Opeth and In Flames on the 1st, I saw a guy tumble over in a Gojira pit, I don't think he found his glasses after that.

Put contacts in and head straight to the pits, if you go with glasses, it's best to shy away, unless you're one bad motherfucker who owns pits; but I doubt you are due to the thread you've just made.

FREDIT:

Just read you don't want to get contacts, I suggest you do; you said Gigantour comes around next year, it's in the winter, that gives you about five months of practice. If it's prodding your eyes you don't like, yo'll get used to it, and putting lenses in only takes five seconds max for each eye.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Oct 18, 2008,
ive always taken my glasses to all the metal shows ive gone to nd nvr gotten them broken or knocked off. nd yes fredaahh i owned all those pits. >=)
Ive seen many people lose glasses, and even if you find them they're probably covered in Beer,Piss,Sweat,Dirt etc
SWFC
Quote by ewb333
Ive seen many people lose glasses, and even if you find them they're probably covered in Beer,Piss,Sweat,Dirt etc

this, get contacts or hope for miracle sight restorement cuz ure glasses stand no chance in hell.
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
It's sucks going to shows with glasses. I used to have contacts, but then my eyes got so bad I had to get hard lens contacts which are a pain in the ass. I couldn't deal with them, so after a couple months I started wearing glasses again. In the pits I've got them knocked off once, they didn't break or anything, but it's just so annoying to have to worry about them.
I envy people with perfect vision! >=(
My Gear
Gibson SG Faded Cherry Special
Peavey Triple X 212 150W Combo
Line 6 Spider III Jam

"It's Better to Burn Out, Than Fade Away"
-Kurt Cobain
Tie a string/epic rope around your glasses so if you get punched in the face, your neck will catch them
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
my eyes aren't bad enough to be completely blind with my glasses

in the crowds in generally stash them in my pockets
My best friends Emily and Rach both wear glasses at gigs and have generally survived pits.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
It really is best to wear contacts, even if you don't want them. Chances are someone will be knocking into you really hard, and it's just 1 less thing to worry about falling off amidst the headbanging.

Although, as long as you stay away from pits you should be fine, although extreme headbanging will cause your glasses to fall off.
I've been to plenty of metal shows and only had my glasses broken once, and that was down to my own stupidity more than anything.
The one with the royal sceptre and gown

Quote by leaping badger
i like drag

Member of the "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join.
Quote by DEATHisawinner
wear a football helmet.

THIS!
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by seljer
my eyes aren't bad enough to be completely blind with my glasses

in the crowds in generally stash them in my pockets

That's probably what I'll do.

So far, thanks for the info everyone.
Gear :
Epiphone G400
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Peavey Vypyr 30.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling and grammar, english isn't my first language.
Wearing glasses into any concert with pits = asking for them to be smashed.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
They will be fine as long as you don't mosh or are around the rim of the moshing.
Try to get up on the barrier?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I go to punk gigs in my £200 designer frames and they're still in perfect shape. Unless you get into a seriously rough moshing circles you'll be fine. At least, as long as you don't have glasses that fall off your face (in which case, you could use some new ones anyway).
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Get some BCGs from a local military surplus store, if you can.
They're made of hard plastic instead of glass, so they can withstand a beating.
Just don't expect to get any pussy.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I've been to dozens of gigs with glasses, and tried all kindsa crap to keep them on whilst I indulged in some pitting - I've also had them knocked off about 20 times, and even had them mashed to virtually nothing and distributed in it's fragments around the 4 corners of Camden Underworld - I myself am pretty handy in the pit, but some stuff just can't be defended against, like in this case, a wasted black guy diving off the balcony and landing on me. Lil' bits of string don't do a great deal in that scenario, has to be said. Navigating my way through the underground was interesting after that, as I seriously need my glasses...

Now I've just taken to wearing an old, battered pair to the gigs, ones that i don't particularly care about losing, and a case in the pocket of my baggy camos, which I'll stick them in should the pit intensify at all. To be honest, it's dark as ****, maybe some strobe lights going on, bunch of people smashing around - it doesn't make a massive difference to the gig if your vision is impaired for a part of it.

EDIT: It's also infinitely preferable to having to shell out a couple of hundred quid you reallllyyy can't afford, like I've had to, twice now
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
If you're going in the pit, then yes they will get broken.

If you're staying out of the pit, then no, they will be fine.

This has been my experience at the many many metal shows I have been to. If it's a big show like Gigantour you'll have no problem.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
It's kinda risky to go with glasses. Get a string or something around your neck so they won't fall on the ground.

One show I went to, I picked up some broken glasses on the ground. The guy who retrieved them wasn't happy.
Gear List:
ESP LTD EC-1000, Amber Sunburst with Duncans
Ibanez AJ30ECE Acoustic-Electric
Line 6 Spider II 210 120 watt
Line 6 UX2
I got caught up in a pit accidentally with my glasses still on. I got them back and they were more bent than Freddie Mercury.

Just keep them in the case, if you don't have contacts then pit without anything. Although for the love of god keep on your t-shirt.

But seriously, just do it blind, I've done it millions of times, you can't see the elbows you're about to crash into, bit more suspense.
True story.
Wacken 08, Bodom. Mosh pit.
Was wearing my aviators (yeaaa), and about 30 of us were moshing (olol i didnt know any of them btw) and i spread my arms out signalling people to stop as if something was wrong, and they all stopped and i just like put my aviators in my pocket and continued. hah, everyone laughed. I came.
Actually, I wouldn't mind asking this, it's on-topic and i've been womdering.

I'll be going to Slipknot, 12th December and it'll be my first actualy gig. I have short sight and we're sitting, SITTING, so we won't go into mosh pits but I have no experience of concerts and no idea if it gets rough in seating aswell.

Should my glasses be okay?
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Quote by nuttyboy
Actually, I wouldn't mind asking this, it's on-topic and i've been womdering.

I'll be going to Slipknot, 12th December and it'll be my first actualy gig. I have short sight and we're sitting, SITTING, so we won't go into mosh pits but I have no experience of concerts and no idea if it gets rough in seating aswell.

Should my glasses be okay?

Dude...seating. The worst thing that could happen would be a bizzare accident involving chairs.
I'm just back from a gig and I was pitting with my glasses on and they are fine.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Sixp0under
Dude...seating. The worst thing that could happen would be a bizzare accident involving chairs.

I'm presuming that means i'll be okay? :p

I've just never been to a gig and I just thought I'd ask just in case it would have been a bit crazy. I didn't think it would be though.
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W