I was pondering to myself about sight reading. I was wondering how many Ugers can do it, and how many Ugers consider it imporant?

Sight reading is real brutal and such. Any tips on the topic also??
Quote by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off. (each others)

/\WTF!!!!
I can kind of do a hybrid thing. I read the notes from the tab, and the note placement from the standard notation. If it's reasonably simple, I can play it straight off the paper the first time I see it, but not very fast, maybe at about 70 bpm odd if it's a mix of 1/4's, 8ths, and 16ths for lead, a lot better for most rhythm stuff. Anything more complicated and I have to sit down and learn it. I've found it really useful, and one day I'd like to finish the job, and learn to read the notes from the standard notation too - I can now, but not fast enough to be usable.
When I first started out, I could do it really well. Then I went through a few years where all I read was tab, so now I can do it but not as good as when I started.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
how imporant though or use would you guys consider it?

Would say its part of being an advanced player?
Quote by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off. (each others)

/\WTF!!!!
To me, it's important, and it would suck not being able to do it. That said, that is just how I'm used to doing it. For example, if something is pure tab (no standard notation), I can't read the rhythm without sitting down and thinking about it. I would say it's an important tool, among others, to becoming the best guitarist you can be.

Part of being an advanced player? I don't know. "advanced" is kind of hard to define, and for me the idea of "advanced" keeps moving the better I get. But, ok, just for the fact that you can't look at the fretboard, I'd say you have to be at some kind of intermediate (another fuzzy term) level.
I think it's fairly important. Sometimes you'll be given a song to play without the music, which means you can't really read the tab. Unless you know how to read, you've got no chance. If your not intending on playing guitar in a situation where you'll be given standard notation though, it's not too important.

As for learning it, the best way is to just keep reading more music. Once you've got down the basics, you can work up, there's tons of books out there. Try to avoid reading the same thing to many times, as it will become memory which destroys the point of sight reading it.
Not a huge fan of bees
i was wondering too if i was to start praticing the skill, like how much time to spend on.

Say 15 or 30 minutes. i play classical guitar so i do spend alot of time reading music just not sight reading.
Quote by Union Jake

/\WTF!!!!
Well It is important to spend more or less 1/4 of your period of practicing daily doing this. Remember that sight reading makes the difference from a guitar player to a musician, this means that you can play anything by tabs with a metal band or a rock band, but if for some reason you are asked to play something like Celtic Folk music, they will probably give you the musical sheet rather than the tabs.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
I'm practicing it, but I'm still pretty damn bad.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by lesmaul
how imporant though or use would you guys consider it?

Would say its part of being an advanced player?

Very important, especially if you do any kind of session work. If you can't sightread you may never get a session gig. Also, you should know how to read sheet music - without using tab as a guideline. No instruments except guitar and bass use tab, and then only in a limited number of styles. For example, you'd be laughed out if you expected to use tab in a jazz band, and classical players all use sheet music.
I don't know about advanced, but sightreading skills and reading sheet music are an important part of any competent musician's skillset, regardless of instrument.
EDIT: Forgot to give advice. Knowing your major and minor scales (all 3 forms of minor), as well as their arpeggios and seventh chords helps a ton. Know a variety of chord fingerings for any given situation. Practice.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 20, 2008,
I'm quite proficient in reading sight music because it's part of the exams I do, requirements are you must be able to read and play a piece or passage reasonably well. As for me I don't consider it to be a necessity only a few people in my school can sight read or even read sheet music.
I am not great at sight reading but I am getting there. I wouldnt say its advanced. Most method books(not TAB) start you off sight reading from day one. Like others have said....on any other instrument sight reading would be the first thing you learn. Us guitarists like to cheat with our TABS lol. I think it is a very important skill. I tihnk it is also important to transcribe music notation. It forces you to analyze everything about the music
Andy