Hey guys,
I am looking to get a peavey valveking 212 combo amp with the footswtich and stuff.

i was wondering if i would need a distortion pedal with this amp?

If I do, I had looked at things like Boss metal Zone, Ibanez Tube Sceramer and Line 6 tonecore ubermetal...which of these or anything else would be good if its needed? nothing over $150 for the pedal please.. thanks!!
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
depends on what you play, the valveking has a good overdrive for most stuff but you would need a pedal to do metal
for that the metal zone would work fine
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
that call is really up to you....

I have a Peavey XXX 1/2 stack and I think the distortion channel is just fine out of the head....no need for a pedal.... so just check out your distortion channel and if something is left to be desired...then look to pedals
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Nah man, The Valveking with that special knob in the back is all you need. My friend has had one for a few years and it sounds great without a pedal. With the metal zone, I found it was a little too much. if you really want a pedal, go out and grab a tube screamer and a noise supressor. that should be enough.
I'm playing stuff like Disturbed, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine...stuff like that. what noise supressor should i get..if i need it
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
take that $150 for a pedal, and get a better amp then the 2x12 valveking
The Metal Zone is piece of crap.
Check if you can boost the amp with the Tube Screamer.
GEAR:
guitars - ESP Eclipse-II FM, ESP LTD M-50, crapy classic guitar.
amps - Rivera Venus 3, Rocktorn Rampage 20R.
and crapy pedal of Digitech.
Quote by Ghold125
take that $150 for a pedal, and get a better amp then the 2x12 valveking

Definitely - $750 dollars can do alot better than the VK
Yeah, instead of getting a VK, get a Randall RG50TC.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i would definately go with an overdrive pedal over a distortion pedal. Usually helps keep your amps tone better.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
well i have to stick with that amp..but can i get names for the pedal i should get?
overdrive or distortion...
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
I'd definitely get an overdrive pedal then. You would have to try a few to see which one works best with a VK, but the Digitech Bad Monkey-VK combo is popular and effective.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Line up a few OD's with the amp gain cranked. I'm kinda afraid that you won't get as much gain out of it as you want for the music you described. If you can, look into a Randall or Peavey 5150 combo used.
i cant order anything over $500 for the amp, and I suggested randall in an earlier thread and they said VK would be better. I guess Ill try it out with no pedals, and if i need one for the type im playing im just try a few.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
No randalls new and tubed won't sell for under 500, that's why you were suggested VK. I'd try to find a used Randall via Craigslist or ebay.
but do you think the vk will do the job if i get the right pedal
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
what's the point in getting a 2x12 valveking when your going to use a pedal for your tone?
well thats what im asking..will the tone be good enough from just the amp for what i want to play..ive gotten yes and no...
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
well a 2x12 vavleking is $600, and you have $150 for a pedal...so for $750 there is defiantly a lot better amps then a valveking
The tone will be decent (quality wise), but the question is will there be enough gain for the style you are playing.

If the amp's gain is not heavy enough, you have 2 choices:
1. put an overdrive (or distortion) on top of the amp's distortion channel to get even more gain.
2. run a "metal pedal" on the amp's clean channel.

Or you could buy a $50 Bad Monkey and then a Metal Muff of some sort and have all sorts of options. Actually, just do that...
what is that last option going to let me do..what are they and how would i set it up..sorry for all the questions
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
The Bad Monkey is an overdrive.
The Metal Muff is a high-gain pedal.
Check them out on MusiciansFriend.

An overdrive should be used with the amp's distortion channel, to increase the gain and tighten the sound up. It will take advantage of the tube's distortion to give richer harmonics, great tone, etc.

The metal muff should be used on the amp's clean channel. It produces all the gain you'll need by itself, but would not take advantage of the tubes distortion.

Getting both would give you plenty of options and tweakability. (I'm not suggesting using both at the same time though) Although you'll probably find you like one more than the other, and won't use the other one much.
its the limit i cant go over right now..thanks jack im gunna chek em out now

just checked em out..not sure which one id pick..if you had to recommend what would you say to get?
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Last edited by synystagates at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by synystagates
Hey guys,
I am looking to get a midgain amp for a high gain sintuation.
Please Redirect me in the right direction.

Get a used amp more suited for metal rather than a new amp that needs assistance to be metal.

Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX

Those two come in combo forms that on eBay would be 600 - 700 USD

EDIT: im sorry i got here before many posts and took a while to submit.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Oct 22, 2008,
well like i said i cant go over 500 dollars right now so im kind of limited. and for the price VK was suggested. thats why im deciding between bad monkey and metal muff
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
The line 6 tonecore is a really cool pedal, and probably your best option IMO, and plus it has a really cool noise gate.