Theres a realyl good chance that I'm going to be getting a Les Paul '57 reissue for christmas, which is a big step up from my Squier Strat (or so I've been told). However, one problem with it is the fact that it has no whammy.
So, I did some searching and came up with a solution: the stetsbar whammy. However, after reading about a dozen reviews, I am no closer to figuring out if this is right for me.
Can anyone help me out?
My main concerns (based on the reviews) are:
a) Can it bend more than a single whole step?
b) Will it detune the guitar faster even if I don't whammy?
c) Is tone affected?

Thanks a lot in advance
A) yes
B) yes
C) yes
You may want to play the guitar for a while before you throw a trem on it. You might find that you're using the whammy on your strat as a crutch since it doesn't sustain well or sound particularly good. You might find on the LP that a bit of left hand technique will be enough, or that something a bit more subtle like a bigsby will work.
Either way, I think it's a bad mindset to start "modding" your guitar two solid months before you've even gotten it. Play it for a while, then decide what you need.
just spend another $20 and get one with a whammy.

that guy with the chicken box on his head will laugh at you though.

hahaaha

seriously though... what ^he^ said.
------

Shwiggity.
^ This.

I thought I might have trouble with lack of a whammy on my SG, but my vibrato technique and my epic skills ( yeah right ) really make me not need one.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Alright thanks to all of you.
The reason I was asking so early is that my opinion is being considered for the gift and I was wondering if it might instead be prudent to ask for a guitar with a pre-existing trem-bar.

Anyone else looking at this thread, dont assume that if I've resonded I dont want more feedback. Please, share with the class.
I had a Stetsbar, tried it in the trial period then sent it back - I can't say I was impressed.

In terms of flexibility, it was able to dive down a little over one octave (on a 24.75" scale guitar with .09 strings in standard and .10 strings tuned down half a step). It was able to pull up only around two steps, maybe not even quite that. Much more flexible than a Bigsby, not quite as flexible as a Floyd Rose, I'd say it was around the range of a standard Fender vibrato bridge (the 2-screw Fender ones, not the cheaper 6-screw Squier ones).

Tuning was fine. I was able to dive right down with it several times, both slow and fast, and it held tune fine. That was on a guitar with just a basic plastic nut and non-locking Kluson tuners. After two or three tracks in a row though, it did start to get a bit out of tune. Again, I'd say it was about the same level as a decent Fender vibrato bridge.

Now tone... that's why I sent it back within the trial period. It hurt my LP's tone, and it absolutely murdered the sustain. With a regular non-locking stopbar and tune-o-matic bridge, my LP can maintain a note for roughly 12 seconds, give or take. Withe the Stetsbar I was struggling to keep any note (even just an open string) for more than three seconds. Particularly past the 15th fret, notes would just die instantly. That would be bad enough, but on top of that it changed tonally, it lost nearly all bass response and gained a harsh metallic tone (kind of like an old Telecaster but with a dull lifeless 'thunk' instead of the Tele's 'twang').

Considering it cost me £230... yeah, not money well spent.

There's a few other LP-trems out there, but none of them are any good. Schaller do one which replaces the tune-o-matic (leaves you with the stopbar's post holes open and lookin' damn ugly), and has no more range than a Bigsby. Goldo do one which scratches the finish off the guitar and has nearly no range...

I'd suggest either a Bigsby (low range, hit-and-miss tuning, requires drilling and such to be installed, but at least you know it'd basically work), or get a guitar with a trem unit already installed. PRS do a lot of Les Paul-style guitars with tremolo units of various kinds already built in, and PRS quality is on-par with Gibson's.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by BucketHayden
whammy? are u 12? pl0x call it tremolo or trem to stop u sounding like a complete n00b
You really shouldn't comment until you learn how to string together a coherent sentence.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
edited out 'cause I sound like a douche...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Oct 25, 2008,
Sorry, I wasnt aware that using a colloquialism was cause for my public execution...twat.
Alright, thank you MrFlibble, that was exactly what I was looking for. You've been very helpful.
Quote by BucketHayden
whammy? are u 12? pl0x call it tremolo or trem to stop u sounding like a complete n00b

...Leave.

Just, just go. Far away.

And, just to let you know, I don't like Stetsbars... they aren't very comfortable for me.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
...Leave.

Just, just go. Far away.

And, just to let you know, I don't like Stetsbars... they aren't very comfortable for me.

Thanks, we need people to make sure this doesnt become some infantile immature forum...and I'll probably stop by my local Guitar Center or Sam Ash and see if I can test one out.
Yeah, that always is the best thing to do. Try it out.

We can tell you all about it, but it is really about the way it feels for you.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo