Whats up everyone, newb here. I've been playin for about 7 months now and already have two acoustic guitars, a super cheapo i started on and my newest one a Takamine GS330. I have learned alot in these few months. I can play 4 complete songs already pretty clean. I'm looking to pick up my first electric and i want to play clean to metal songs, so i need a guitar that can bounce around. I'm pretty much set on a Schecter and have been looking at the C-1 Classic. Any recommendations for me in the Schecer line? There are so many models that have similair specs that i have no idea what else to choose from. I played around with a few and did not like the balance of the devil series at all compared to the c-1 classic. What should i be looking for in a pick-up etc. Last question, i was looking at one of the Line-6 amps they had there and the guy showed me all of the features and effects and it was real sweet, how are these amps?
Last edited by outerlimits at Oct 18, 2008,
line 6 amps are the worst there are IMHO. I had a spider III 75 watt for a month and ended up returning it.

they suck the tone out of any guitar and make it sound all digital. For newbies, they look very impressive because they seem like they can play anything. They can play anything, just really poorly. They also don't accept pedals at all. Seriously, don't get a line 6 amp. Get something with a good clean tone, and then buy a distortion pedal like the Boss DS-1 for 40 bucks and you'll be all set.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by kevin14u2nv
i have a syn custom and its amazing i love it

Just because you do, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

If you like the guitar, then I'd get it. And what Line 6 amp was it, just to be exact...

I wouldn't trust guitar salesmen recommending things, they are just going 'look at the fancy things!!' and selling them, even if it's crap.

EDIT: To the guy above, you only played a Spider, not a Flextone or a Vetta or a HD147 or whatever it is, they're brilliant amps.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
well here is the deal.... in regards to the line 6 amps....people are going to bitch about them hard... but for a beginner they really arent that bad at all. Secondly schecter is a god brand, I own one and love it.
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
line 6 amps are the worst there are IMHO. I had a spider III 75 watt for a month and ended up returning it.

they suck the tone out of any guitar and make it sound all digital. For newbies, they look very impressive because they seem like they can play anything. They can play anything, just really poorly. They also don't accept pedals at all. .

hahaha because it is a modeling amp....and you should never use a pedal with a modeling amp buddy
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
In complete honesty spider III amps aren't bad for a total beginner. You kinda get an idea of what you're looking for in an amp. I just wouldn't spend too much on one. You should also try some of the roland cubes, those are great beginner amps.

I have a schecter c-1 hellraiser and I love it

I don't care what anyone says about the coil tap on the pickups--it does make a difference.
Yup, i'm clueless but fortunately i do serious research before i buy anything hehe. I haven't looked into any amps as of yet.
Schecter C1 Blackjack is you can afford one
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
Schecter C1 Blackjack is you can afford one

+1 you can get lots of versatility with the right amp.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Well, while I couldn't recommend a particular model for you (your needs, your decision!) - my Schecter 007 Elite rocks, and I haven't heard anything but good stories about the rest from friends who own them.

And don't get the Spider.
any of the c-1's are super sweet guitars!
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

care to try the Flextone and the HD147

but shecters are very nice guitars
Quote by outerlimits
Would i be looking at something like the EMG pick-ups or the hummbuckers?

emg's are humbuckers they are just actives and you would want humbuckers for the music actives dont do cleans well
the c-1 classic is a good guitar but the only thing is do you know your fretboard up and down because it has no inlays telling you which frets. you will adjust to that and if youve been playing for a while it would be no problem but 7months i dont know i wouldnt be able to be fully able to go up and down and not make a mistake here and there and also look at amps like the roland cube or if you have a big budget look at a nice tube
but remember amp is 90% of tone so if you plan on only bedroom practice a smaller amp will do but i would recomened lowering the budget for a guitar to get a better amp
bad amp + good guitar = bad sound
good amp + bad guitar = not great sound but better then first option
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Oct 19, 2008,
I highly recommend the C-1 Plus. it looks beautiful and plays just as well. Some people b*tch about the pups not being *real duncans*, but I like 'em anyway. It might just be that I'm comparing them to my Squier, though.

Also check out the tempest custom, it's pretty much the Schecter equivalent of a les paul. It has a more bluesy sound to it than the C-1 Plus. The one I tried was used, though, so I couldn't tell if the pups were replaced or not. They're both worth a try, though.
Quote by alternitivebass
emg's are humbuckers they are just actives and you would want humbuckers for the music actives dont do cleans well
the c-1 classic is a good guitar but the only thing is do you know your fretboard up and down because it has no inlays telling you which frets. you will adjust to that and if youve been playing for a while it would be no problem but 7months i dont know i wouldnt be able to be fully able to go up and down and not make a mistake here and there and also look at amps like the roland cube or if you have a big budget look at a nice tube
but remember amp is 90% of tone so if you plan on only bedroom practice a smaller amp will do but i would recomened lowering the budget for a guitar to get a better amp
bad amp + good guitar = bad sound
good amp + bad guitar = not great sound but better then first option

Uh...I dunno about you but...I don't look at my INLAYS to know what fret im at I look at the top of my neck to see the fret markers is it called? i dunno.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Last edited by Ryohazuki at Oct 19, 2008,
If you get a Schecter AND a line 6 amp you are just going to be dissapointed*. Get something like a Roland cube, they are brilliant for the money!

* If it's one of those spider thingies.
I actually don't look much at where i am on the fret board even at this point of my guitar playing, my left hand just seems to go to the right place 90% of the time. The amp is a second thought at this point, i figured i would just point it out cuz thats what the dude showed me. I will list some of the songs i can play completely and pretty good at this point even though they are pretty simple:

System of a down: aerials/atwa/chop suey
White Stripes: Seven Nation Army/we're going to be friends (fingerstyle)
Animals: House of the Rising sun
Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues/Walk the Line
Staind: So far away
Nickelback: Photograph
Beatles: Blackbird (fingerstyle)
Greenday: Good Riddance
Silverchair: Cemetary
Led Zeppelin: Stairway to Heaven, intro (everyone can play this i think)
Metallica: One/Nothing else matters (just started these two)
Oasis: Wonderwall
Limp Bizkit: Behind Blue Eyes
Ben Harper: Burn One Down (Just started fiddling with this one too)
Songlist suprises me

normally al the beginners buying schecters like A7x

but

for the amp May i be saying Vox VALVETRONIX
or a peavey Vypyr
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I'd recommend a PT-Standard. Granted you'll want to try it first(Fender styles are really very much preferential), but it's 22 frets and HH with coil-tap, not much it can't do tone wise, plus Pete Townshend used one stock, albeit that was when Schecter was a small-order company. Do try and upgrade the amp though; it's not going to do the PT justice.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Schecter Blackjack ATX or Hellraiser is awesome guitars, but they're a bit on the expensive side.... the normal Blackjacks are really good guitars too, and then there's the Demon and Damien series!
Go out and try some of the mentioned

about the amp: a Randall hybrid amp like the RG100G3 is one powerful beast! I play the halfstack version and I'm more than pleased with the sound vs. budget (I play really highgain metal)

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
I too have been playing around 7 months. I purchased the Schecter C-1+ which was recommended by sales at guitar center. Beautiful guitar. It has wonderful sound and is effortless to play. The action is low without any buzz. I've paired it with a Fender 25R amp.
ok, for a newb a schecter c-1 classic is an expensive guitar for your range. but in the long run its a great one.

i have a schecter omen 6 and the hell raiser in my sig. both feel amazing. i have my c1-hellraiser fr and its just so godly, Floyd rose tremmollos are a pain in the ass to change tunings in to while keeping string intonation and the leveling of the bridge. changing strings really isnt that bad i have to say. im glad i can keep re using strings because of where they tipically snap and how you dont need the ball end.

line 6 spiders, stay the fudge away from those things. same with marshall dfx and hdfx amps. best buy tho dude, vox valvetronix. great cleans, great overdrives and distortions. it really helped me dial into what tone i want for later. and it works great with pedals. and it has already 11 onboard, easy altering effects that dont suck when you know how to work the edit knob (PM me if you need help. you can do more than twist that thing around alone)

schecter c 1 classic= expensive for a first year player, but in all a great guitar
line 6 spider= stay away from. you will regret this in half a year, deeply regret this
vox valvetronix=will get bored of it after around 4 years. i am kinda getin old of it

find your amp used. id say look into a tube combo amp around 700 or more *used* to get the best tone ever because you cant really mess up an amp or guitar.
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
My vote is for the schecter blackjack series,they play real nice,have a clean look,and are very versatile with the right rig,you cant really go wrong with classic black and a nice pair of duncans.

As far as amps go,it depends what youre looking for.There are a lot of amps out there so you have to decide what kind of sound youre going for and what you want out of it.Personally, i like a simple amp with some onboard effects and a couple channels like a vox or marshall,with the right pedals an amp like that can do a lot.Im not a big fan of modeling amps but thats just my personal opinion(take it with a grain of salt,I had a bad experience with them and never went back).My advice would be to sit down and decide what you need out of your amplifier and once you have that nailed down head out to a shop and test play a variety of amps to find the one that fits your personal preference the best.
Much appreciated fellas, i think i'm gonna go with the classic. Its pricey but def in my budget and i'm sure i'll be playing for a long time to come as i can't seem to even put my acoustic down. Everytime i walk by it on the stand i have to at least pick it up and give the strings a little flick hehe, well that turns out to be another 1 hour session.
Thats simply the addiction that we all suffer from,a love of guitar and music
I say C-1 classic, they look gorgeous in the orange/red colours and have that cool vine fret decoration.

Amp, i'd say get a Vox ADVT, 30/50/whatever watts, your choice.