wood is inherently bends in different atmospheric conditions....so yes, you need it

or go one step further and make the entire neck out of metal or go all carbon fibre or graphite necks or something
you need to be able to adjust the neck relief(how much it curves) otherwise you get mass amounts of fret buzz and dead notes
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
A lot of old guitars did that, but all it does is simply strengthen the neck.

The whole point of an adjustable trussrod is to fix the bow and backbow of a neck.

I suppose if you made it strong enough, it just wouldn't bow at all... but really, adjustable truss rods are cheap. Just use one.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
There really isn't any difference in terms of difficulty of installation between a reinforcement rod and truss rod.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
well it needs to be adjustable....because you dont want a completely straight neck...it needs to have a slight amount of bow
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
^ That also is true. Necks have a slight bow, noticeable around frets 5-7.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Old acoustics were built like that, with just a metal rod for stability, and then the correct bow was obtained by useing different sized tangs on the fret wire (larger tang, larger back bow) but then obviously if you re string with much heavier strings, your stuck with foward bow.

Just go with a double action truss rod.

and if your going to buy a pre made neck just to 'save yourself the effort' then whats the point at all?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i get to make a cool body without having to deal with all the issues associated with a neck.

lets be honest, the neck is where the guitar is kind of won or lost - a body is far harder to **** up. and considering this is my first attempt and i dont have any good tools, the neck is something that has been worrying me. especially since im hoping that this is going to be a perfectly useable guitar
Quote by CobenBlack
i get to make a cool body without having to deal with all the issues associated with a neck.

lets be honest, the neck is where the guitar is kind of won or lost - a body is far harder to **** up. and considering this is my first attempt and i dont have any good tools, the neck is something that has been worrying me. especially since im hoping that this is going to be a perfectly useable guitar

This is what I thought too I didn't make a neck for my first one and bought a cheap one but for my 2nd guitar I didn't want a crappy cheap one and decided to make one figuring it wouldn't be too good but it's great. The neck really isn't harder. What you should do is get a presolotted fingerboard, fretwire, and a double action hotrod truss rod from stewmac. It is pretty much impossible to **** up. If you do mess up on the frets which would be hard to do you can always refret it. I consided the body to be a little bit harder. There is no reason not to use an adjustable truss rod though and if your doing that get a 2 way just in case the neck ever warps like happened on my bass. If you want to make it a little easier get the hex nut one and have it adjust from the heal of the neck. For shaping the neck I use a random orbital sander.
thanks for that 420freak - i looked into stewmac a while ago, but being in the UK the shipping is extortionate. I'm sure someone in the UK will sell one though. I have an old acoustic neck which I snapped off - i'm considering using the fretboard and truss from that.