I have a Cort VS SoloSeries with a Duncan Invader in the bridge. I'm looking for a good high output singlecoil for both the neck and middle positions. The stockers are way to low output for the Invader. I like to play everything from The Beatles, surf, rockabilly, new wave, punk, all the way to Metallica and beyond. I was looking at the Dimarzio Area '58 or '61, but they're low output. Any advice? Thanks.
if your in the uk look at barenuckles
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
hotrails for sure. maybe a jb jr or a lil 59.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Hot Rails, maybe Cool Rails. If you don't wanna go the 'bucker route, try out some Texas Specials.

Or perhaps those EMG actives that David Gilmour uses now.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
Quote by steve108819
I have a Cort VS SoloSeries with a Duncan Invader in the bridge. I'm looking for a good high output singlecoil for both the neck and middle positions. The stockers are way to low output for the Invader. I like to play everything from The Beatles, surf, rockabilly, new wave, punk, all the way to Metallica and beyond. I was looking at the Dimarzio Area '58 or '61, but they're low output. Any advice? Thanks.

High output singles coils make the SC lose all the charm of the single coil.
Pickups in the neck position shouldn't be high output anyway.
I have 7.2k neck, 8k middle and 10k bridge single coils in my Strat. The single coil charm is still there
7.2k for the neck position is pretty hot. IIRC the aforementioned Fender Texas Specails, which are "hot" is only 7.2k at the bridge.

The EMG single coils in my Tele are both 10k also. I have yet to see a single coil higher.
I have a blue lace sensor in the neck of my strat. Bassy and high output with a bit of strat character. Sounds a bit like a humbucker too. I love it and it suits my style perfectly
Quote by eurotrashed
7.2k for the neck position is pretty hot. IIRC the aforementioned Fender Texas Specails, which are "hot" is only 7.2k at the bridge.

The EMG single coils in my Tele are both 10k also. I have yet to see a single coil higher.

my hot gorilla fist is nearly 12K.

Forsaken is right about high output singles losing some of their sigle coil coolness but their are steps that can be taken. How much are you looking to spend? Do you want true singles or noisless singles? What is more important, tone or output?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
my hot gorilla fist is nearly 12K.

Forsaken is right about high output singles losing some of their sigle coil coolness but their are steps that can be taken. How much are you looking to spend? Do you want true singles or noisless singles? What is more important, tone or output?

Aren't the gorilla fists humbuckers though? And gorilla grooves single coils?
^oops, Yeah... I typed the wrong one. It's my Hot Gorilla Groove that is 12K
EMG S or EMG SA's have pretty high output. they're active so if you don't have a battery clip you'll need to make one
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Sd Hotrails!
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by CorduroyEW
What is more important, tone or output?

Tone is preferable. However, my Invader is a whopping 16.8k
When using it at home practice, I can have my amp's volume set to 3 or maybe 4. When I switch to the singlecoils, I have to turn the amp to 6 to get the same volume. I've only been playing for a few months and am trying to learn as I go. What output values should I look for in the neck and middle to match up with my 16.8k bridge 'bucker?
Thanks
Quote by CorduroyEW
How much are you looking to spend?

I love a good bargain, but I'll spend what I have to if it means doing it right the first time.

I would prefer noiseless if the tone isn't compromised much.
Quote by eurotrashed

7.2K isn't that hot. Texas Specials aren't that hot of a pickup set. Nor are they vintage.

Consider that a 7.2K humbucker is considered vintage output.

7.2 is hotter than a vintage single coil, of course. I said they were modern. 50's style ones are entering 5-6K range. But it's not that hot..
do not get actives. it will f*** ur invader.

go for lace sensors, or maybe cordoroyew's aforementioned gorilla grooves.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I have lace sensors in my strat and they have great tone and character. Very "chimey", crisp and clean.
As a general rule the less hum a pickup has the less it sounds like a single coil pickup. All noisless singles sacrafice some tone but some are much better than others. I think your best bet is to get something like Lace sensors. They still have the vintage single coil vibe but they also have a special design that helps reduce hum. I'd recomend either the Burgundy or the Light blue.

In a perfect world you would just set your amp so that it is loud enough that in single coil mode it's almost breaking up. Then when you flip down to your invader you get huge distortion without the volume boost, however, I suspect you are not in a situation where you can start doing that.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
As a general rule the less hum a pickup has the less it sounds like a single coil pickup. All noisless singles sacrafice some tone but some are much better than others. I think your best bet is to get something like Lace sensors. They still have the vintage single coil vibe but they also have a special design that helps reduce hum. I'd recomend either the Burgundy or the Light blue.

How will the 8.0K and 8.9K of the Light Blue and Burgundy stack up against the Invader? Better question is how much louder will they be than the stock pups(which I'm assuming to be around 5K)?

Am I correct in also assuming that you always want to put the least resistance pup in the neck? What would happen if I switched them and put the 8.9K in the neck and the 8.0K in the middle position? Total crap?

Thank's for helping point me in the right direction. I appreciate it.
DC resistance doesn't equal output. And having them the other way around is not a problem.

Volume wise: My red lace sensor is 14.5k. However, it is not particularlly louder than my 6k mid pickup...
Lace is the way to go. Red in the middle, blue in the neck for when you need somthing a little more mellow.
SD Quarter pound?

Those are supposed to be pretty powerful IIRC.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by SVStee
Lace is the way to go. Red in the middle, blue in the neck for when you need somthing a little more mellow.

Red in the bridge is about right. For the mid I'd have a silver...
Quote by supergerbil
DC resistance doesn't equal output. And having them the other way around is not a problem.

Sorry, I was under the impression that they kind of went hand in hand. Why do most sets seem to have the higher resistance in the bridge with the lesser resistance in the neck?
If you want the pickups to be more equal volume-wise can you not just lower the bridge invader away from the strings and raise the mid and neck closer?
Quote by bellerophon
If you want the pickups to be more equal volume-wise can you not just lower the bridge invader away from the strings and raise the mid and neck closer?

I can't get the Invader low enough in the body of the guitar. The screws start to back out of the ring at a certain point. Maybe if I got longer springs for the mounting screws I could get it lower. I might try that this weekend. Thanks.

I think I'm still going to get the Lace sensors though, just to improve the tone of the stock cheapies.