Ok so I've started an ES-335 style build, which will be chambered and not semi hollow. It is also going to be neckthrough. How would i go about calculating how long to make the neckthrough piece?

The guitar will be 24 3/4" scale and will have a 13 degree headstock angle.

Also, if anyone out there has an ES-335 and would like to measure it for me that would be great.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Last edited by walker-rose at Oct 19, 2008,
I guess you dont have plans then?

you can kinda gestimate, 40" is a good place to start, just be sure to get too much, you can always chop the end off when you have the wings glued up.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Headstock angle or neck angle?

13 is pretty standard Head stock angle

where as neck angles are generally like 1 or 2 degrees I think.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 18, 2008,
A set neck or bolt neck isnt to much of an issue when it comes to neck angle but might be tough to get that much neck angle on a neck thru. And its always better to make it to long than to short.
Oops my bad guys, i meant headstock angle!

Well thank you guysI knew it was somewhere around 40 inches but i wasnt sure, I believe I will be cutting it at 45".
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
get yourself some plans man. go to a guitar center and measure one, they usually let you take measurements. i know for a strat build with an angled headstock (not scarfed) i need about 39 inches in length.
I bought a template off of GPU, maybe i should have bought the actual plans... but whatever. I was thinking, I could measure my Gibson LP from the end of the headstock to the middle of the middle of the tail piece, and then measure from the middle of the tailpice to the end of the guitar on my template and add those measurements. That should give me the right length, give or take an inch or two.

Also I won't be following the plans exactly, since i my use a hardtail stringthrough bridge, instead of a TOM.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
There, I fixed the first post.

Thats why i was going to go with a hardtail, because it would be tough to get a neck angle on a neckthrough guitar.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
There, I fixed the first post.

Thats why i was going to go with a hardtail, because it would be tough to get a neck angle on a neckthrough guitar.

The easy way to do it would be to make the neck a little bit thicker than the body so the neck is as high as it needs to be and than make a jig for your router to rout the neck down to the sides. Yeah it might take an hour or 2 longer but it would be worth it if yoou wanted a trem.
No trem for this guitar.

Do you guys think 45 inches is enough?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.