Quote by thebrewfan
Will the JTM45 break up soon enough to gig with in small clubs?

jtm45 cranked=classic rock breakup.

jtm45 cranked= large outdoor concert loud

jtm 45 cranked+small indoor gig = INSANE hearing damage+ overpowering rest of band

I think I summed it up
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
it depends how much break up you want. AC/DC type of "clean" crunch (think "Jailbreak" or "It's a long way to the top") It depends. If you have a set of hot pickups and a heavy pick attack this is the type of gain you'll get at around 5-6 with hot pickups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiBMltWg2RQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XraJP0jmwE

You can also increase the gain by turning up the presence, it pushes the top end a little more. But be careful with that, the amp has a bright cap on the channel volume and at volumes under 5, you get a real ice-picky treble that is harsh and painful for the ears and turning up the presence really doesn't help that. But really, the amp is very touch sensitive and thus does not really need a lot of gain to get a very sensitive high sustaining lead tone.

I can turn my JTM45 with a 1960B cab up to 10 in a large room inside in my house. Of course it'll leave my ears ringing. It's very loud, but do-able, but also, the JTM45 has a very non-linear volume increase, at 0-0.5, it's very quiet, but by the time it hits 2, it gets really pretty loud (think a 15 watt tube combo dimed), and the volume increases pretty linearly until about 7 and then from then on, the volume increaes very little and instead gets more and more saturated.

Here is a pretty good idea of it's volume halfway up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDWj6Ycj2-A&feature=related

Mine seems to be a little bit louder than that (I'd have a hard time hearing someone else talking to me if I'm playing it at 5)

I never really play my amp at ten, I prefer how it sounds at 6 or so with the channels bridged, (I love that early Angus Young tone), but will turn it up a bit more to do Zeppelin-ish tones. At that point you'll get a bit of grit on a very fat and sustaining clean tone. It's definitely do-able at gig volumes, and probably needed that type of volume you have a loud drummer. But don't get me wrong, it's loud, but if you have a large room where you can use it, it IS crankable. Otherwise, you could get the JTM45 and a Zvex box of rock which does the cranked JTM45 tone amazingly well. Incredibly well actually, and the JTM45 has a clean tone that takes pedals especially well (and is amazing sounding).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVUNQwqbfM

(if you can't tell I really like the JTM45, not enough people on these boards like these awesome amps so outside of the vintage amp thread, I get very little occasion to go on about them)

Oh. But a note on these amps. They sound like shit with the wrong cab. I cannot stress this enough. They have a very distinctive sound and a HUGE low end that is very boomy and flabby with the wrong speakers. You REALLY need speakers that can handle a big low end to keep it tight. Second, the type of speakers will have a big impact on how loud it is, g12h30s will sound louder than greenbacks.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 18, 2008,
The walls will be shaking, and no one in that room will be able to verbally communicate with another person.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
The walls will be shaking, and no one in that room will be able to verbally communicate with another person.

thats why we leave the studio with our voice shot from trying to talk to each other
aren't there smaller versions of the JTM45? like a 20W or 30W?

EDIT: nvm, just checked musicians friend. it is a 30W
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Last edited by psychokiller99 at Oct 18, 2008,
^You still can't hear difference in volume between that and a 50 watt (trust me, I've tried :P)

Quote by kckyle
thats why we leave the studio with our voice shot from trying to talk to each other

My friend is gonna borrow my Bluesbreaker next weekend for a gig (he usually plays a Marshall Superbass, but this time he wants to try my Bluesbreaker), and they're always trying to be as loud as possible It will be interesting to see. I'll bring a camera for sure.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Oct 18, 2008,
I can tell a pretty big difference between a 50 watt plexi and a JTM45.

A JTM45's volume maxes out at about 7. A plexi's volume maxes out at about 2.
^So you've tried?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I have, back when I was looking for an amp, I was going back and forth between a JTM45 and bass spec 1986 50 watt plexi and have tried both. The volume difference between the 50 watter and JTM45 is definitely noticeable.
marshall makes a 20 watt head which is AWESOME... hand wired p2p... i have a mesa blue angel head which is 15, 30, and 38 watts selectable... into a 4x10- 15 is plenty w/o muddy... consider the speaker config as well as the amp power as the speakers AND the power determine the spl... a lot of peeps seem to pass that one up... good luck...
master the beginner's mind
Quote by Hultan
^You still can't hear difference in volume between that and a 50 watt (trust me, I've tried :P)

My friend is gonna borrow my Bluesbreaker next weekend for a gig (he usually plays a Marshall Superbass, but this time he wants to try my Bluesbreaker), and they're always trying to be as loud as possible It will be interesting to see. I'll bring a camera for sure.

lol youtube it. but half of the time it isn't even the bassist or guitarist, once the drummer start banging away forget about all signs of vocal communication.