What is the difference between single coil and other types?
If i were to look into getting one, what should i get, and by who?

also, what are good strings? ernie ball...alchemy... O.o

random smiley
Quote by Chessman.exe
What is the difference between single coil and other types?
If i were to look into getting one, what should i get, and by who?

also, what are good strings? ernie ball...alchemy... O.o

random smiley

single - more "twang"
humbucker - louder, supposedly handles distortion better
p-90 - single coil humbucker basically

i use ernie bell power slinkies or beef

im not too sure on my humbucker descriptions but thts wat i fink they are
^ Humbuckers aren't 'louder' than any other pickup, but in most cases they handle distortion better - depending on what you want.

Humbucker:

Single coil:

There's no particular guide to what pickups sound like - and there are some single coils that sound more harder than humbuckers, visa versa.

Generally, single coils are aimed toward cleaner sounds, or blues like SRV. Humbuckers are aimed towards distorted sounds.

For a guide of what different pickups sound like, go to the Dimarzio website and listen to sound clips.

And if you needed to buy a pickup, reputable brands are Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, EMG. Fender also makes some decent pickups as well.

But most people here look at buying pickups thinking that it'll colour their tone a whole lot, when it wont with their current amplifier. Keep in mind that the thing on the very end of your gear chain is what will make the most difference, usually... (amp > pedals > pickups > guitar).
alright, thanks a lot for the info. so what would it be like to have a humbucker and a single coil together?
would it also be possible to have
neck
Single Coil

Humbucker

Humbucker?
base...bridge i think?

or would it sound better to be like

humbucker

humbucker

single coil

for more bass i could do that, but what would sound better altogether?
thx again.
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
No, it would be best to have

neck

any pickups you want

bridge

good amp.

Pickup selection is based entirely on preference. Is SRV "good"? Hells yeah. 3 single coils. Is Jimmy Page "good"? Hells yeah, mostly 2 humbuckers.

What style of music do you play, and what amp do you have? (If we know that, we can help you.)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
psh, amp? if you call it an amp, i have a bass amp...my bro gave it to me, a crate bx-15.
my style is heavy rock, not metal...but under...i also am aiming for that nice chorus-y feel to it...ya know, for slow songs, mostly because i am aiming for worship team, and like that...so like the pickup selectors, one for heavy metal, one for not...heavy metal...worshippy whatever :\

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
your playing a guitar through a bass amp?
You really need a guitar amp before you even consider pickups.

Amp wise, I don't know to much, but I know that tube/ valve amps are better than solid state amps. and in the past week i've been reading up a lot on tube amps as i'm thinking of gettin me one.

These are some of the cheaper amps,

Practice amps:
Orange Micro Cube
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
Blackheart Little Giant

Heads:
Blackheart Killer Ant
Orange Tiny Terror
Epiphone Valve Junior Head
(You will need a Speaker Cab)

Speaker Cabinets :
Black Heart 112
Orange PPC112
Epiphone Valve Junior cabinet
(You will need a Head)

These are just some small tube amps which I have heard good things about...
They are not very big, but are very cheap and quality.
"your playing a guitar through a bass amp?"
yeah...my bro played bass, and used this for practice, i dont have money to buy a guitar amp :\
this one still works for me :S
thanks for the tips though

Quote by guitarcam123
your playing a guitar through a bass amp?
You really need a guitar amp before you even consider pickups.

Amp wise, I don't know to much, but I know that tube/ valve amps are better than solid state amps. and in the past week i've been reading up a lot on tube amps as i'm thinking of gettin me one.

These are some of the cheaper amps,

Practice amps:
Orange Micro Cube
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
Blackheart Little Giant

Heads:
Blackheart Killer Ant
Orange Tiny Terror
Epiphone Valve Junior Head
(You will need a Speaker Cab)

Speaker Cabinets :
Black Heart 112
Orange PPC112
Epiphone Valve Junior cabinet
(You will need a Head)

These are just some small tube amps which I have heard good things about...
They are not very big, but are very cheap and quality.

i just got a crate v50 112 tube amp, and it is very good for the money, it is quiet enough for home practice but it gets plenty loud if you want it to. they also have a 33w 212 and 18w 112 for about the same price.

to the ts, you need to get a better amp, and if that doesnt help you get the tone you want, then get new pickups
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30