Is it okay if I hit an open E and the E is in tune, but i hit the A on the fifth fret and my tuner reads that is just a little sharp?
Your intonation is out. I can't really be bothered to explain how to correct it so either google it or get a tech to sort it out.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, it should be fine, you might be pressing too hard on the string. Don't press so hard and try again. If that doesn't work, it may be slightly out of tune, bu shouldn't make a difference.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
yeah, you have to adjust the string saddles, so i guess just google it, but if it's not that too sharp or flat, then don't worry about it, cause it's impossible to get is completely perfect
Woah woah woah. Before you start telling this guy to take his guitar to a shop, let's consider technique. Pay attention to how you fret the string. If you're pressing too hard or bending slightly as you fret, you may be bending the string out of tune. Even a slight movement on your part can send a note sharp if you aren't careful. It's a problem I've had to struggle with for quite a while, as well as many other beginning guitarists.

Once you're certain you're fretting it properly and it's still sharp, then would be the time to consider intonation.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Since nobody else has fully defined intonation, I guess I will since I'm bored. Intonation, in reference with guitars, is how in tune a guitar is to itself. If your guitar's intonation is good, then the 12th fret will be as perfectly pitched as the open string when you compare it with a tuner.

Of course, like mentioned above, it is impossible for a guitar to have absolutely perfect intonation. Heavier(lower) strings require a larger space between each fret, while the lighter(higher) strings require a smaller space between each fret for REALLY precise intonation. This usually applies more to acoustic guitars though because the strings on an acoustic are much thicker than electric guitars.

This is a fan fret guitar. If you look closely, you'll see that the frets don't go straight across the fretboard. They are angled. This is to help the guitar with intonation.

Phew... long explanation, but hopefully it's somewhat useful to you.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.