lol that thread title just screams "epic fail". oh well.

So heres the problem. I'll try to make up solos / riffs for songs, but it sounds really bland and raw, if you know what I'm saying. It sounds boring. I try to incorporate string bends and hammers/pull-offs into it and such, but it still dosen't sound exciting. Like, I'll be improvising a solo to Enter Sandman, and though I'm in the right key, it doesn't fit the song and sounds bad to me. If anyone wants me to clarify what I'm talking about (not really sure how to explain it better right now), then feel free to ask. Any help is appreciated!
im the same way, but i find volume really helps, go as loud as you can and try it???
ibanez rocks
You have to "feel" the music.
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Quote by witrudd
im the same way, but i find volume really helps, go as loud as you can and try it???

Worst piece of advice ever. Finding your place in the mix =/= cranking up.

Well... Try working on your phrasing, learning different/unusual scales, work on more advanced techniques like tapping, sweeping, hybrid picking. Find your own style and work from there.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
You can't ask somebody to fix your playing for you... ask yourself "why the f*ck is this bland" and work from there. Check your gear even... are you using a crap guitar with a crap amp? Or an amazing guitar with an amazing amp?

Also, try using backing tracks or in a band...
eg. The intro to Sweet child o' mine in alot better when the rest of the band joins...

Hope this helps!
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Last edited by darrenjables at Oct 18, 2008,
It'll be more exciting if you go to the Musician Talk forum...

No seriously. You'll get better results. I would suggest trying to get a hold of Freepower. He's very knowledgeable in this sort of stuff.

Quote by KennethJay
You have to "feel" the music.

This is good advice. It is, however, a little vague.

You don't feel what you play. You play what you feel. If you're feeling happy, maybe try using the major scale. This might be a little difficult when playing something someone else wrote. When I play someone elses' songs or solos, I try to put myself in the state of mind that I think the writer was in when he wrote that song. Try different scales at different tempos and see what sounds happy, sad, angry, etc. Vibrato and bends work great too!

Also, it's not always what scale you play, it's how you use the notes in that particular scale. Ex. I use the minor and harmonic minor scales and I can make both of them sound happy, contrary to what their names suggest. (Generally minor scales have more of a sad/angry tone to them)
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by darrenjables
You can't ask somebody to fix your playing for you... ask yourself "why the f*ck is this bland" and work from there. Check your gear even... are you using a crap guitar with a crap amp? Or an amazing guitar with an amazing guitar?

Also, try using backing tracks or in a band...
eg. The intro to Sweet child o' mine in alot better when the rest of the band joins...

Hope this helps!

I must say I have never tried plugging a guitar into another guitar.

In all seriousness, though, I have a great guitar, but my amp sucks. Do you think that contributes? I'm not going to pass that off as the complete cause of the problem, though.

And how do I "work on my phrasing"?
Quote by -Blue-

Silly question. How do you work on anything else?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by -Blue-
Do you think that contributes?

Answer to first question: No, I don't think it does. A bad amp doesn't make your solos boring. It might make them sound worse, but you can mess with the tone a little bit and usually get what you're looking for.

Second question: I have never really sat down and though "I'm going to work on my phrasing," and actually done it. Whenever I "practice", I try to impress myself. That's what Yngwie Malmsteen did, according to an interview on his "Inspiration" album.

Now, please read my other post above. I think it will help you greatly.
Also make sure your soloing style fits the song, for example techniques that you incorperate into Jazz and Country Music arn't going to work in a metal song. Imagine having a tinkly banjo riff, then the rest of the band coming in with heavy stuff. Excuse my bad phrasing, I'm not one for technical terms.
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Shit. Thanks for noticing that mistake.

I'll agree with Scrubs here. Don't put neo classical into funk etc.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Your problem is you lack a "vocabulary" of phrases, licks, and techniques.

The best way to remedy this is to learn as many solos note-for-note as you can.

Then take all the new ideas you learn and twist 'em around and experiment and create new ones.

It's going to take work. There are no shortcuts.
Quote by dcooper830
Your problem is you lack a "vocabulary" of phrases, licks, and techniques.

The best way to remedy this is to learn as many solos note-for-note as you can.

Then take all the new ideas you learn and twist 'em around and experiment and create new ones.

It's going to take work. There are no shortcuts.

yes what he said
learn licks too
and try to play them in different keys and learn where to use them
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join