Ive been playing guitar for around 3 months now, and i regularly mess around with my bassist and guitarist freinds, and we are looking for a more band members, however, as i have been playing for 3 months, im still a novice, unlike my two other bandmates. Im looking for some guidance in what to play, i am self taught at the moment and we play songs such as fat lip, my brain is hanging upside down by the ramones, and songs of that difficulty. I can also play the average blink 182 song.
However im looking for a challenging song which will take me a while to complete and one which will make me a better guitarist and one which will require a lot of effort. Whenever i look for songs like this they are massively too hard.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for you help. Im at the start where each song is too easy or too hard, so i could do with a few examples, thanks.
Frankly I have no idea, as I've never seen or heard you play and I have no idea what your actual ability is. Are you playing those songs you mentioned as they sound on the CD, or like a bunch of kids in a garage band who aren't that skilled yet? I'm not saying either or, I'm just saying I don't even know if you're playing the songs you know that well yet. Prehaps you are, but I don't know.

Start looking at songs you as a group enjoy and would have fun taking on a challenge with. If you pick somthing based on how technical it is alone but don't particularly enjoy, you're going to end up frustrated and dissapointed. The point of playing with other musicians is to make coherent music. Save that kind of thing for woodsheding.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
"For The Love of God"

Learn that and youll have anybodys respect. Guaranteed.

Alright im kidding dont learn that. Thats a song of god.

Learn "The Audience is Listening"

its cool and it sounds fun.

ok no Steve Vai....

"Satch Boogie"

what genre do you play?
Dammit - Blink 182,
Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana,
Thunderstruck - Ac/dc,
Back in Black - Ac/dc,
Whole lotta Rosie - Ac/dc,
Those should help with some lead playing, rhythm playing and generally timing.
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
hahaha i would say we are more novice garage guitar kids but on songs like all the small things it would sound just like it.
We are aiming to play punk songs but i alone like playing songs like the trooper without the solo though
Quote by JackBowen
hahaha i would say we are more novice garage guitar kids but on songs like all the small things it would sound just like it.
We are aiming to play punk songs but i alone like playing songs like the trooper without the solo though

The Offspring is pretty good. I learned a couple of their tracks. im not big into punk but blink is good uhh offspring? hahah idk. sorry.

=[

i can help you with soloing with ideas on who to play like i guess? =/ sorry im new to UG
thanks for the help guys.
I will look at some ACDC and look at some of these other songs and keep learning blink 182 and sum 41. I dont really attempt any solos at the moment, im normally playing along to songs without them, should i definatly start to find easy solos now or is it not a that big deal?
well i mean, i would practice solos to get your fingers goin just incase you decide to not play punk anymore. idk its all up to you. thats how i was with System of a down. i didnt care to solo until i heard synyster gates from a7x
Get a metronome, and slowly increase the BPM for a solo once you've got it down really slowly. Do this until you get it up to speed.