i currently have around 550 dollars to spend on a new amp. i mainly play Metal and Modern Rock/Alternative Rock. i was wondering if a solid-state amp would be better for these genres than getting a tube amp, considering im on a small budget??

thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
if it sounds good for what youre playing, it doesnt matter if its solid state or tube. for metal its split 50/50 though i'd probably reccomend tube. theres a metal amp thread on here with some useful information. also your strat might not be the best guitar for metal (though you should replace your amp first)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
It depends on what kind of metal. For some applications, I would say Absolutely SS is better. But for others, it would be teh epic failz0rz.

You have to be specific when taking of metal.
Randalls are good for metal, same with the new Bugeras. Peavey VKs and Windsors are too. If you have a good Overdrive pedal, you can really squeeze a metal tone out of any medium/medium-hi gain amp. O, I do suggest tubes, btw.
i was thinking like Cubes, Transtubes, Vypyrs or Valvetronix's...i play mostly 80s Thrash Metal and Metalcore when it comes to metal
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
zakkwylefan79 the tube ones are already out
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Last edited by ShredGod George at Oct 18, 2008,
solid state amps have more headrooom than tube amps.

but BUT BUT BUT when solid state amps start clipping they sound REALLY bad.
Tubes usually sound better to me, but Messhugah uses those high-class Line 6 vettas, those sound pretty killer. Alot of Death Metal and Grindcoreish stuff is for the SS-s to handle.

In your budget I would reccomend, for what you play,
B-52 AT-100 112 combo
Bugera 6260 combo
Used Crate Blue Voodoo Combo
Randall RG50TC
Used Peavey Ultra
Quote by ShredGod George
zakkwylefan79 the tube ones are already out

My local guitar shop and Musicians Friend both say they are NOT out yet. 10-20-08 is the release date they have told me. That's this monday.

EDIT: guitarcenter.com says the same thing.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Oct 18, 2008,
A used Peavey 6505 or 5150 combo is totally within your reach if you save up just a TAD more money ($50-100 should suffice).

But seriously, the vast majority of metal bands play tube amps.
I have SS, Tube and Hybrid. Humbuckers or actives are prefferable P/Ups but some amps come with more distortion than you need built right in. Pedals and processors do wonders, . The one thing I have noticed to make a huge difference is if you like to thump the bottom end, detune or play baritone guitars you need an oversize cab like the Mesa Recto or a MF280 or 400. The thing to do is go to your local shops with your guitar and play the amps.
R7, SG, Texas Special
EMG modded special addition Fat Strat
BC Rich STIII
Zinky Blue Velvet
MF350
AkaiDPS24MKII
GNX3, PA
other pedals and gear
the peavey ultra is really appeling to me, and it is only around 400$. would it suit my needs?
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
the old randall Century 100 heads were good for metal. they go for cheap all the time, too. scour eBay for old Randalls.
for the record, i sold my 5150 combo and plan on buying an old Ampeg SS-150 amp. Its pretty much like the VH-140c without chorus.

Lots of death metal bands from the 80's and 90's used SS amps/pedals(Boss HM-2) Bloodbath used the HM-2 for their early albums and it sounds great i think.
It's kind of a preference thing, with your budget, I'd just get an SS amp. But you might prefer tube.
If i had a sound proof room, a bigger budget and gigged, i'd definitely choose a high-end Engl or Diezel over SS though.

Another SS amp to consider would be the new Randall G3+ series, I've heard they are excellent.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I play mostly metal, with a 7 string Loomis. I use a Peavey Classic 30 with a modded Celestion speaker and it kills. Tubes are definitely the way to go, they are much warmer sounding than solid state. I'll never play a solid state guitar amp.
If your looking for a cheap amp for metal, i strongly recommend either a rolland cube 60 or Randall RX series, or if you want a tube, then a randall RG50tc or maybe Peavey valveking

I havnt had that much experience with many different amps, but i can tell you, for the mega brutalz, my RX120R sounds much better than my RG50tc, but then the RG50 sounds much better for metallica, it all depends what you want to play
RG's & Mesa's
I got my JCM-2000 half stack for 1149 from Guitar Center, used. I realize this is out of your budget right now, but if you can hang on until you have the extra 600, then I highly recommend it. The day I got that baby home and plugged it in was honestly the best day of my guitar playing life. No combo amp could even come close. Its just not the same. For my last birthday, my wife suggested I go and pick up the additional cab that I had been talking about around 5 times a day, so I did, so now I have a full stack in my house
Quote by DaveyAreAwesome
A used Peavey 6505 or 5150 combo is totally within your reach if you save up just a TAD more money ($50-100 should suffice).

But seriously, the vast majority of metal bands play tube amps.

Exactly why the question doesn't make much sense--SS amps sound horrible for metal. Unless the TS wants a crappy Dimebag tone (nothing against his playing), then tube is the only way to go.
Quote by 4regt4
Exactly why the question doesn't make much sense--SS amps sound horrible for metal. Unless the TS wants a crappy Dimebag tone (nothing against his playing), then tube is the only way to go.

no they don't.

tbh the only thing special about tube amps is the power amp breakup. and you don't want that for metal.

all of your gain for metal should be from the preamp with no distortion from the poweramp. solid states are good for this because you can achieve higher wattage more easily and so you have higher headroom to make sure there's no power amp breakup.

that's why you have amps like the mode4 which are rated at 300w or something. not so you can get it br00tally loud.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
no they don't.

tbh the only thing special about tube amps is the power amp breakup. and you don't want that for metal.

all of your gain for metal should be from the preamp with no distortion from the poweramp. solid states are good for this because you can achieve higher wattage more easily and so you have higher headroom to make sure there's no power amp breakup.

that's why you have amps like the mode4 which are rated at 300w or something. not so you can get it br00tally loud.

To my ears, a SS at even low volumes sounds hideously harsh and causes my ears to hurt, while I can crank a tube amp and play hours without a problem. Again "to my ears" a tube amp is infinitely warmer sounding to the point a SS is unbearable for metal. This issue has nothing to do with the power amp breakup.
My cranked 5150 says no.
Get yourself a used 5150 combo.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
My cranked 5150 says no.
Get yourself a used 5150 combo.

Or if possible, a head and a 2x12.
It'll sound better because of
a) you can get better speakers than the stock sheffields.
b) the head version sounds a little better to my ears, probably because of the larger transformer

I didn't really like my 5150 combo, most people seem to though.

I'm shooting for an Ampeg VH-140c, those things kill for teh brootz.
Dying Fetus and Suffocation FTW
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Lemoninfluence
no they don't.

Exactly.